Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Re-thinking about WLS

Hey people,

I'm back....

As some know, I already had lapband surgery in 09 and it had to be removed this year in April due to an infection. I knew for a fact IDID NOT WANT to have surgery again, but as soon as my weight started creeping back up to almost where I started in the first place and trying to lose it on my own again with no success, weightloss surgery is coming back to my mind. It depresses me that my weight is going back up and that I'm rethinking surgery again, but my weight going back up is my own fault.

So, I'm going to give trying to lose 40-60, 30, or whatever on my own by June and I will call up my surgeon. Last I saw him was in may/ June and he said I was still a good candidate for weight loss surgery.

Question: what other weight loss surgeries are there? The Sleeve, LapBand, Roux NY/bypass, Realize Band is there anything else? I'd probably choose the band again but either way I'd be so scared that things would happen the way they did and I was also thinking about the Roux NY but I don't want anything cut and moved around *SIGH* *SMH* *FML*

-erin

You are frustrated but you are not giving up which is the important thing! I think the bands have come a long way, even since 09, so that still might be a great option for you. DId they ever find the true reason behind the infection?

As far as the other surgeries go, they all have pros and cons of their own. I decided to start with the band and see where it goes from there. I do know with damn certainty that I love my new life and if I ever have to get my band removed for whatever reason I am either getting a new band or revising to something else. i am NEVER going back to that dark place I was.

You can and will bounce back from this...hang in there =)

You are frustrated but you are not giving up which is the important thing! I think the bands have come a long way, even since 09, so that still might be a great option for you. DId they ever find the true reason behind the infection?

As far as the other surgeries go, they all have pros and cons of their own. I decided to start with the band and see where it goes from there. I do know with damn certainty that I love my new life and if I ever have to get my band removed for whatever reason I am either getting a new band or revising to something else. i am NEVER going back to that dark place I was.

You can and will bounce back from this...hang in there =)

I am with you. I didn't want to be permanently altered and band was the only option for that. If anything happens to my band I hope it will be a scenario where it is replaceable.

Erin, Hang in there. At least you are self aware of your upward spiral and is looking to do something about it. Weigh all your options and research the heck out of each and every procedure. It is such a personal decision to be made.

At least you are catching it now rather then packing all the weight back on and a lot more. That would be rough and I lived through that and I still beat myself up about it from time to time.

I wish you the best in what decision you make.

Thanks you guys, yeah I totally don't think I want to get anything cut or removed, I watched a Roux En Y procedure video and oh my god, no way, plus it makes you lose weight too fast (most cases) and leaves you with excess skin.

I really don't knowww! Ugh

I don't want to go through all the pain I had to go through again. I'd definitely give the band another try if I decide.

This is such a super hard decision.

My weight is making me so upset that I barely even want to eat.

I really want to try losing weight on my own, no more needles, no more hairloss(takes forever to come back after surgery, mine is finally coming back) no more throwing up/PB's, no more weird throat noises when laying down, no more scars.

The infection was from getting my revision surgery, I developed an abscess next to the band, that is also another thing I don't want to have the possibility of experiencing again. I mainly don't want surgery, but I feel I might have to :/

I know deep down I can do it on my own, but either way it's just so hard and the hardest part is getting the will power, dedication, motivation.