Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Lap Band gave my Mother Stomach Cancer!!

My mother was 61 years old; days shy of her 62nd birthday when she died of a Pulmonary Embolism which was caused from the effects of stomach cancer. She had her lap band done 5 years prior and about a year ago decided to remove it because she felt she had reached her ideal weight. My mother was a clinical partner and had been in the nursing field for many, many years. She suffered from diabetes so she was very adamant about doing her checkups and physicals. She felt that the lap band would help her control this disease. After the lap band removal my mother started experiencing pains in her stomach and felt that it was because she was hungry. Once she ate the discomfort would temporarily go away but would soon return; more severe. After a while the pains started to become unbearable. She went to her doctor who performed several endoscopies but told her it might be some form of gas because her stomach looked fine. She trusted her doctor and tried different things like exercising more but the pains still persisted and kept getting more severe. At this point her doctor decided to give her a CT scan and then discovered that my mother had cancer of the stomach. Not only did she have cancer of the stomach but she was immediately diagnosed at stage 4 cancer. For those of you who do not know what this means; Stage 4 means that the cancer has spread to other organs in her body this is called metastatic cancer. My mother was diagnosed December 2012 and passed away February 2013.

I am so incredibly sorry for your loss, it's heartbreaking. But you have to realize the Lap Band cannot and does not cause stomach cancer. It's so awful your mom developed cancer but it has absolutely nothing to do with the Lap Band. It's just an unfortunate coincidence.

Thanks guys for your condolences but did you read:

My Lap Band caused Esophageal Cancer

Started by Rockin' Robyn, Jun 18, 2011 2:25 AM

Not a concidence. My mother was VERY conscious when it came to health.

Thanks guys for your condolences but did you read:

My Lap Band caused Esophageal Cancer

Started by Rockin' Robyn, Jun 18, 2011 2:25 AM

Not a concidence. My mother was VERY conscious when it came to health.

With all due respect, just because you read it on the internet doesn't make it true.

The Lap Band cannot not cause cancer anymore than a Bracelet around your wrist can.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how horribly painful it is to lose your mother. I lost mine to cancer as well. Lung cancer.

In reading your post, I'm thinking that (possibly) because your mother had the band, the doctors were looking specifically for band related issues. In doing so, overlooked the possibility of cancer. This is the first I've heard of the band actually "causing" cancer. It could be that this is something she would have developed with or without the band.

Again.....I am so sorry to hear this. My life hasn't been the same since my mother passed.

The primary cause of Barrett's esophagus is GERD. The post you referenced was for a lady who had GERD/Barrett's Esophagus and pre-cancerous cells but never developed into full blown cancer.

Again, we're all very sorry for your loss but to come here asserting the band did it without any evidence is not right. Especially when she died from a PE. Many of us have turned our lives around with this surgery. Many lives have been saved in fact. Naturally many of us are defensive when someone posts as you have.

There are risks to any procedure but getting cancer as you stated could have been developing for years before she was banded.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Cancer is such an evil disease that can sadly strike anyone at anytime, no matter how healthy they seem, or how well they take care of themselves. My thoughts are with you and your family.

So sorry for your loss but i have to agree with mrsto and Mis73 post.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 160 lbs

I am very sorry for your loss. Cancer knows no boundaries. Cancer does not care of race, age or sex. If it wants to take you it will take you. I have watched several of my families members battle with it. In fact this month marks 1 year of my Uncle's passing. It was sad to watch my Father who just finished chemo struggle with survivors guilt burying his little brother.

If you want to believe the band caused the Cancer and it helps you with the closure then I am fine with that. You'll most likely get much sympathy on your loss but don't be surprised by the amount of disbelievers in the cause.

The primary cause of Barrett's esophagus is GERD. The post you referenced was for a lady who had GERD/Barrett's Esophagus and pre-cancerous cells but never developed into full blown cancer.

Again, we're all very sorry for your loss but to come here asserting the band did it without any evidence is not right. Especially when she died from a PE. Many of us have turned our lives around with this surgery. Many lives have been saved in fact. Naturally many of us are defensive when someone posts as you have.

There are risks to any procedure but getting cancer as you stated could have been developing for years before she was banded.

You are absolutely correct there. Most oncologists will tell you that cancers can start decades before they are detected or begin to affect a person.

am sorry for your loss but people without lap bands also die from cancer..

i just felt i needed to say that in regards to your thread title...

A very good friend of mine has stage 4 stomach cancer with metastasis to her liver. Oddly enough, I just spent 8 hours at her home working a garage sale and fajita plate sale to help her with all the bills she can't pay. She's never had any kind of bariatric surgery. I'm sorry your mother went through this, but its not because of the band. My friend has been a nurse for over 20 years (and I myself for 8). When people asked her what caused her cancer, she says, "sh*t happens".