Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing my monthly fills ins coverage due to Obamacare come Jan 2014

Thanks to Pres Obama my ins is changing and no longer will cover bariatric anything and I cannot afford fills and I'm nowhere near the green zone yet. I certainly don't know what I'm going to do. I do not work, can't, can't get disability, the only income I have is alimony and with me paying for health ins and other medical bills I barely have enough to live on, that is why I live with my mom since my divorce, thank God I at least have a roof over my head. I'm heartbroken over this news. I'll be in debt up to my eyeballs and then some because I see him every month for a fill.

Thanks to Pres Obama my ins is changing and no longer will cover bariatric anything and I cannot afford fills and I'm nowhere near the green zone yet. I certainly don't know what I'm going to do. I do not work, can't, can't get disability, the only income I have is alimony and with me paying for health ins and other medical bills I barely have enough to live on, that is why I live with my mom since my divorce, thank God I at least have a roof over my head. I'm heartbroken over this news. I'll be in debt up to my eyeballs and then some because I see him every month for a fill.

What is your insurance now?? If you can't work and your only income is alimony, why are you not on some public assistance such as Medicaid?

Ask your doc if there is a way for you to apply for credit , in my state they have a thing called care if you qualify then you just have to make payments like maybe $ 50 to $ 100 a month also I heard but not sure that everyone is entitled to medical ins, so make sure and get your pcp and band surgeon on board and let them know maybe they can help also, hope you get help but you may not need fills as you have been doing great,

What is your insurance now?? If you can't work and your only income is alimony, why are you not on some public assistance such as Medicaid?

I make too much money according to government in alimony for any assistance yet I can't make ends meet to live alone thus the reason for living with my mom. My ins is Anthem BCBS Ky and I got the notice Saturday.

I make too much money according to government in alimony for any assistance yet I can't make ends meet to live alone thus the reason for living with my mom. My ins is Anthem BCBS Ky and I got the notice Saturday.

my ins now cost me almost $600/mo. Last month I was rushed to the ER because I was falling and leaning towards the right side and couldn't stand up and our ER dr was leaning towards a stroke and immediately sent me by ambulance to Nashville for 2 days, those 2 days cost me 22,000.00 and ins didn't cover it because this hospital was non-participating. There is no way in heck I can afford to pay that back, I'm at a loss. Turned out inner ear infection and still ongoing so I see an ENT next week so yes my medical bills are mounting.

You really should get an attorney to help you obtain disability. You might get turned down the first time, but if you are having problems like that episode, you may qualify. If you do qualify for disability, you should automatically qualify for Medicare. I think you still have to pay something, but it will be a lot less than what your are paying now.

I'm just a paralegal (not an atty) but you should look around or ask around for a disability atty in your area and go talk to them. If you have been to an atty and you got turned down, just try again. You shouldn't have to pay the lawyer any money because if you get the disability, they'll take it out of your final settlement. Just a suggestion.

Also, that $22,000 hospital bill - call the hospital and ask them if you can get a hardship application or if you can apply for hardship and if you qualify, they may reduce the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

Understood...you would have to spend down your money to qualify...and nobody likes that is they help it.

Understood...you would have to spend down your money to qualify...and nobody likes that is they help it.

So sorry, (((hugs))) I hope that you can find an answer to your problem!

When does your insurance change? Get yourself in for a fill before it changes and tell your surgeon you need to get to the green zone sooner than later.

In a way I'm facing the same thing as I was self-pay with 1 yr of post surgery visits included which ends in December. I'm working with my surgeon to be the at the best fill possible. Not saying I won't be seeing him again but not monthly. And I've already started saving $ for those visits. Just some $ each week.

You may want to look into the healthcare exchange through Obamacare and see if there's a cheaper alternative that will cover bariatric surgery.

Though I've read that Obamacare is considering cutting all bariatric surgery eventually, if you could find a different one in the intern it may help you.

don't you just LOVE Obama....... NOT!!!

My insurance is doubling... fixing to drop it and go to the charity hospital

Most insurance plans do not cover fills. Most people pay out of pocket for fills so maybe your insurance does not want to pay for that service anymore.

regarding disability comment above, thank you for taking the time to comment but have been to atty, can't qualify because here in kentucky you must have a 10 yr working history to fall back on and I haven't worked since 1998 therefore I do not qualify, don't you just love justice. Just not fair, I can't work and feel like I am being punished due to the law. Missy, I have checked on other insurances within Anthem and none cover bariatric, not sure about other ins out there. I was lucky to snag this since at the time I was considered obese and still am at 222 lbs and my BMI most ins don't like to carry you due to that fact and will rate you high. Sigh...

First of all, it was the insurance company that dropped you, not the ACA. While I understand you are between a rock and a hard spot right now, if Kentucky is participating in the open enrollment of ACA insurers, you should be able to shop the market of new carriers and pick up a policy that a) you can afford and B) will cover your needs.

If you end up having to pay for your fills out of pocket, negotiate a deal with your surgeon's office.

It is hard to function when you are in a panic. I hope you will be able to get what you need once you have had a chance to calm down.

First of all, it was the insurance company that dropped you, not the ACA. While I understand you are between a rock and a hard spot right now, if Kentucky is participating in the open enrollment of ACA insurers, you should be able to shop the market of new carriers and pick up a policy that a) you can afford and B) will cover your needs.

If you end up having to pay for your fills out of pocket, negotiate a deal with your surgeon's office.

It is hard to function when you are in a panic. I hope you will be able to get what you need once you have had a chance to calm down.

I'm sorry if you thought I was hostile but I am calm and my ins didn't drop me, it changed, the entire thing changed, not just mine but the company will no longer cover bariatric surgeries or care after Jan 1, 2014 due to Obamacare. I just now checked other companies out there with an agent and he said I was better off staying where I was and paying out of pocket for my bariatric care which I don't know how I'm going to afford. I live on alimony alone and that's for only another 4 yrs thus the reason again I live with my mom. I pray nothing happens to her as I would be homeless. I have to pay $700 in taxes on alimony every 3 months plus my health ins of almost $600/mo, its very hard for me to make ends meet. Its like a dead end road for me.