Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question About Complications (such As Necrosis) after Gastric Sleeve Plication Surgery And What Happens If This Occurs?

Hello all,

I'm researching vsg and also plication. Plication sounds interesting and like a good wls but I noticed that there is a complication called necrosis. If I did choose plication and say, worst case scenario, I have a complication such as necrosis. Does this mean that the sutures must be taken out and the stomach returned to normal? Has anyone had to have their surgery reversed due to complications? I would appreciate any replies as I am definitely going to get one of these procedures but I am wondering what happens if there is a complication. I know the sleeve has complications as well. Thank you for any replies.

I didn't have any complications post op. However, many surgeons offer post op insurance (Bliss-care was what mine was called, or something like that). Since most health insurance companies don't cover WLS to begin with, and also don't cover complications from the surgery, it's probably a good idea to find a surgeon that offers that type of post-op coverage in my opinion.) You can opt into/out of the duration and extent of coverage, at least that was my experience.

You would have to read the specific documents from your physician and discuss them and the insurance carrier to be reasonably sure you'd be covered during a specific event. Strongly suggest that you talk with the insurance provider to understand what you're buying with those policies. It was another step and another pain in the ass, but I felt better having it and knowing what they would/wouldn't cover.

Traditional insurance plans don't cover anything regarding plication as best as I can tell. It's too early for them to make any money off the procedure.

Insurance companies will cover the lap bad with plication but there aren't that may doctors that preform it so it may be more difficult to find a doctor to preform it than to have your insurance company cover it if you have it with the band.

Here are a few articles about plication and it complications:

http://bariatrictimes.com/2010/05/19/laparoscopic-greater-curvature-plication-an-alternative-restrictive-bariatric-procedure/

http://bariatrictimes.com/2011/09/22/early-complications-of-120-laparoscopic-greater-curvature-plication-procedures/

Also while I don't dismiss the possibility of a serious complication like necrosis, I think that the doctor that preforms the procedure is more the problem than the procedure itself. In Zanthina's thread she mentions that one of the doctors that treated her found that her suture line was not as should expected. In another thread that I saw about sutures coming undone, the procedure was done by a doctor that did not list any training on the procedure on his list of experience and training.

Plication as a weight loss procedure is relatively new but plication as a surgical technique has been around for over 40 years, it has been used primarily as a treatment of GERD