Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 months post plication

Today (sept 9th) is my 6 months post plication. I am a 31 year old Mother of 3.

I lost about 11 pounds pre-op.

Month 1 -16#'s

Month 2 - 7#'s

Month 3 - 9#'s

Month 4 - 7#'s

Month 5 - 7#'s

Month 6 - 5#'s

51 pounds in 6 months. 62 if you count my pre-op weight loss. I lost that much when I did weight watchers. I never could keep it off though.

The weight is coming off slower then I hoped. My restriction is not what I want it to be. I felt a lot more restriction in the first 2 months post op. First two months post op, I could only eat about 1/3 or maybe 1/2 of a 6 inch subway sandwich. A few days ago I ate the entire 6 inch sub. I guess that is still better then before WLS when I could have the sub, chips and a cookie! I do eat a lot less then I used to though. My cravings are not as bad as they were before. I have 50 more pounds to go. I am confident that I will reach my goal. it just wont be as soon as I had hoped.

My feeling on plication are mixed right now. I will update you on October 9th with my 7 month report. I sure hope I can lose more then 5 pounds.

Month 1 -16#'s

Month 2 - 7#'s

Month 3 - 9#'s

Month 4 - 7#'s

Month 5 - 7#'s

Month 6 - 5#'s

51 pounds in 6 months. 62 if you count my pre-op weight loss. I lost that much when I did weight watchers. I never could keep it off though.

The weight is coming off slower then I hoped. My restriction is not what I want it to be. I felt a lot more restriction in the first 2 months post op. First two months post op, I could only eat about 1/3 or maybe 1/2 of a 6 inch subway sandwich. A few days ago I ate the entire 6 inch sub. I guess that is still better then before WLS when I could have the sub, chips and a cookie! I do eat a lot less then I used to though. My cravings are not as bad as they were before. I have 50 more pounds to go. I am confident that I will reach my goal. it just wont be as soon as I had hoped.

My feeling on plication are mixed right now. I will update you on October 9th with my 7 month report. I sure hope I can lose more then 5 pounds.

Great weight loss. Are you exercising? Just wondering what your theory is on why you can eat more. I am having surgery Sept 28, 2011. Worried about the restriction but just like any other restrictive surgery, you can stretch it out.

Hey Mary,

I do exercise a lot. I am training for a 5k. I guess that is why I am frustrated. With all this running I do, I should be losing more!

I know that in the first month or so, my stomach was a little swollen from the surgery, so there was more restriction. As my stomached healed, I was able to eat more. I can not explain my recent ability to eat more. My stomach must have stretched some, but it is not like I am over eating all the time, or ever, so I can't explain it.

Wow! You are doing great!! :)

You have lost 56% of your excess weight. Remember WLS is considered successful if you lose and maintain 50% so you are doing better than average!!! The hard part - which you discussed - is keeping it off! I lost 110 lbs with the band and put almost all of it back on.

KUP - good luck with your 5K!

Jenn

Lmom,

I wondered about a few things when I read your post. You've lost an average of 8.5 lbs per month post WLS. That's what's "average" based on WLS, disregarding whatever variable this procedure is. Those number are based on what I remember being told about WLS before the plication. Not purporting to be a scientific authority here.

I'm a bit over three months out. If I ordered a 6" sub from Subway, there's no way I could eat a whole one. I'd be in the bathroom throwing up. I do well to eat half of those English muffin Breakfast sandwiches they make. I can push it and eat nearly a whole one over time, but I feel bloated and at the "almost vomit" stage at that point.

There were a couple of posts that I read recently (maybe from you, if I recall correctly) about different types of stitching procedures that DRs use. I never knew about different types of stitching procedures prior to having this done. I'll do my best to call my doctor and find out next week. All the posts I read are jumbled in my head at this point. When I last met with my nutritionist, I was more worried about the longevity of the material the stitches were made with than the type of stitching procedure. Basically, I never knew to ask about types of stitches or the how they were placed. This could also be an important difference.

I also wonder what you're carb to Protein intake is. I felt like I was more successful in the first two months than the third. I reintroduced more carbs in my third month, and I lost a lot less weight. I went to more bread and fruit in general, and it seems to have slowed my weight loss down. I can't specifically attribute my lower weight loss to that. t was what I changed, along with a decent drop in walking daily because school started up again. I've tried a lot more this week to walk regularly again since it seems to be something my body responded to well before.

8.5 lbs per month is still an accomplishment of which you should be proud of attaining. I hope what you've achieved continues.

I hope all this comes across as my being curious and undersanding. I was so disappointed with my weight loss numbers during the third month. Even though they were average, in all other aspects of my life that hasn't been acceptable. A big part of this process for me is that my body seems to have a mind of its own.

Take care,

Mednar

You have a 6 month "window of opportunity" with this procedure which is when you get the best restriction. VSG has the same "window". I've been able to eat a fair bit since I was a month out though (I'm now 10 months out and I only eat slightly less than a 'normal' person).

mednar,

3 months ago I could not eat a 6 inch sub either, not even close. Now I am 6 months post op and I can. I am not trying to scare anyone, it is just the truth.

It is my opionion that the suture method used doesn't affect the restriction. I feel like it is more of a healthy/safety of the stomach issue. After researching, it is my opinion that the single stitch method is safer, and there is less of a chance of hernia and other problems like Lena had. Just my opinion though.

I know that I eat too many sweets and carbs and that I could drop weight faster if I would cut them out of my diet. This is hard for me, and that is how I ended up fat to begin with.

I think WLS was a good choice for me. Yes I wish I had done the VSG instead, but plication is working for me. I am trying hard to use the tool that I have. I hoped that having this WLS would help me to be more "normal" and not have to feel like I am on a diet for the rest of my life. That is just not my fate. Even with the wonderful tool of plication, I still have to have a "diet" mentality. I still have to count calories, and fight the urge to eat junk food.

I am still happy with my plication though. I do NOT want what the sleeve has to offer, including the super fast weight loss. I know most wls people will be shocked at that, but I don't want to drop the weight super fast...I want to lost weight healthily and disrupt my life as little as possible. Sure, when the scale doesn't go down I get upset from time to time, but I also realize that I get to enjoy some times and food that other wls participants will never again be able to eat. My skin is not terrible..I have seen pictures on some of these sites that make me cringe. I eat too many carbs/sweets and my weight loss is slow, but I am still losing and I enjoy my little treats and keep my overall calories within limits. Yes, I still watch calories, and yes I have cravings (just not as bad as before). Sleevers crave too..they can talk about not being hungry all day long with the lack of hormones, but I have seen post after post where they talk about head hunger and cravings...they too much still diet to some degree. I am just over 4 months out and I can just barely eat a 6 inch sub...I honestly am not unhappy with that. I really cannot tell you where I was at 3 months because I just ate Subway for the first time post surgery this last week. I don't want to be able to eat more, but I don't think that is a bad place to be.

If someone is wanting 10lb plus weight loss a month, then the plication is probably not for them. I would say on average we are going to be more like 5-6 after the first couple of months, but then again that's 5-6 lbs a month that I wasn't losing before. In fact I was going the other way. For some, the sleeve is the perfect answer and that is exactly what they should have done. For me, even knowing about the slow weight loss and the trials that can come with plication, plication is a better option than the sleeve.

Lmom -

Thanks for responding with honesty. I hope that it came across that I was concerned because I feel like that "being on a diet" stage again is where I've felt like I'm headed this past month. I just hate the idea that I could eat that much in another three months. I know the amount you can eat gets larger over time, I was just hoping the max was smaller. I've also struggled with my carb/protein ratio this past month and don't like where I seem to be headed with carb intake either. My caloric intake is around 1200 calories per day, but that ratio lately has been shifting towards carbs, and my body seems to have responded negatively. It's frustrating. I'm just worried to some degree that I'm going to end up eating like I used to, which is kinda scary after spending 10 grand on this after it seemed so promising the first two months. I know that I'm probably overreacting, but after reading about everyone's experiences and complications on here, it has me concerned that I may have made the wrong decision. Being a more "normal" eater was something I was after also.

CC -

I feel the same way in general, but going from 16-17 lbs the first two months to six this past month felt kinda like a letdown to myself of some sort. I'm happy with 6 lbs, it just makes the effort you put in seem like its a lot less productive maybe? This was my first slowdown overall, and it's frustrating. I think I was probably overly confident that I could/would maintain that rate for longer. Maybe somehow, I was the exception? But it seems like my sweet tooth has kicked into overdrive this past month, and I'm where everyone else is.

Overall, I'm just trying to make sense of the change I've seen and how it relates to everyone's experience. Wish this were easier :).

That's exactly how I feel! sad.gif

I hoped that having this WLS would help me to be more "normal" and not have to feel like I am on a diet for the rest of my life. That is just not my fate. Even with the wonderful tool of plication, I still have to have a "diet" mentality. I still have to count calories, and fight the urge to eat junk food.

If you're serious (ie willing to comply with Vitamin and Protein requirements) and meet the weight requirements then the Duodenal Switch really does seem to have excellent long term results. There are people over on obesityhelp doing well 10 years out from DS surgery. Bypass proves to be only short term for many as you only malabsorb calories for a couple of years and then your intestines adapt and go back to absorbing 100%, that's why many look to revise to the DS (not easy from bypass though).

I'm sure DS surgery for just the intestines has to be possible for GPSers. They have been known to do just the intestinal part for diabetics in Spain, as this surgery has a 99% resolution rate for diabetes (and a significant improvement for the remaining 1%).

I think WLS is just a temporary fix,The reason I said this is that my neighbor had gastric bypass 5 years ago and she is almost back to her size before surgery ,se lost 135 pounds with it but it's almost all back, her daughter did it also and she goined 50 pounds back already,she had it done 7 years ago,There is no long term fix ,unless of course we eat less forever.The surgery only helps us get there faster,I know what you all thinking, I'm just a party pooper.I'm sorry but it's my opinion.I hope I'm wrong.Only time will tell.

CC -

I feel the same way in general, but going from 16-17 lbs the first two months to six this past month felt kinda like a letdown to myself of some sort. I'm happy with 6 lbs, it just makes the effort you put in seem like its a lot less productive maybe? This was my first slowdown overall, and it's frustrating. I think I was probably overly confident that I could/would maintain that rate for longer. Maybe somehow, I was the exception? But it seems like my sweet tooth has kicked into overdrive this past month, and I'm where everyone else is.

Overall, I'm just trying to make sense of the change I've seen and how it relates to everyone's experience. Wish this were easier :).

I hear what you are saying, and I didn't always feel this way (as you saw from some of my posts this summer). It has taken me several months to get used to the new rhythm of my body and a lot of self psychoanalysis to realize what I truly wanted out of wls. I have realized that as much as it sometimes is frustrating, I am actually enjoying the path to a slimmer me. I enjoy the victories of stepping on the scale and seeing it down from the last time. I'm ok with it going slow because I am trying to take the time to relish this and to rebuild healthier eating habits overall (even my current little bit of sweets and increased carbs is a million times healthier from the way I ate before...I'm not going to kid myself about how bad I was pre wls) so that maintenance isn't so hard. Maybe I am overconfident, but I feel that I will be able to maintain this time, and that was what I was having trouble doing before. With so many of the other surgeries, success lies in them working extremely well in the short run, but then they don't work so well in the long run and the weight is regained. We plicators have never had it as 'easy' in the short run, but I think in the long run that will benefit us. Maybe everyone doesn't feel that way, but I am getting to know myself better through this journey, and I certainly do feel this way. I hope everyone else can find something like this that they can take from the ups and downs of plication. My plication truly is more of a tool, and since I didn't just rely blindly on my wls to lose weight, I am learning through the downward journey. It is however a very useful tool because it does give me exactly what I need to limit calories/cravings and provide the extra willpower/satiety that I could not find before. Not every day is easy, but I feel that this surgery is one I can live with long term and that will be successful in the long term.

I agree with a lot of what has already been said about the plication. It is a slower form of w l s than others however it is important to remember that no matter what kind of surgery we have we must use our tool to the best of our ability. I was banded in 2001 and I did eventually lose 110 pounds however it took me 3 years. At the rate Im losing with plication I will lose roughly the same amount of weight in about half the time. I am very happy with my results however I do my part also. I work out at least 4 times per week and try to eat "right" the majority of the time. I had w l s to live a normal life not to take tons of Vitamins every single day or watch every single thing I put in my mouth. So far for me plication has meant a more normal life.

Lmom: I think you are doing great. I am 5 months post op and i have only lost about 48 lbs total. I was so psychotic and obsessed with this surgery and subsequent weight loss. I was literally driving myself crazy. I LITERALLY THRU OUT THE scale AND STAYED OFF THE WLS BOARDS.. I JUST COULDNT TAKE IT ANYMORE. I WAS OBSESSED.

Well, I have always been a slow loser. I accept that. Everyone is different. Though I am grateful for 48lbs lost, I am disappointed that it isnt more at 5 months. I too also took the subway 6 inch test. I cant eat a whole one but I sure can get about 2/3rds of it down. Dont ask me how. I know that i have lost all that I am gonna lose without actively doing something. I will say that I consider myself lucky with this plication. I have lost some weight, and I have had little to no deprivation.

Everyone, be encouraged. We are all still doing great!

Month 1 -16#'s

Month 2 - 7#'s

Month 3 - 9#'s

Month 4 - 7#'s

Month 5 - 7#'s

Month 6 - 5#'s

Hey! 51 lbs in 6 months and 62 total!!!!??? I think that's awesome! Slow and steady wins the race! Thanks so much for the update.