Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

training for a 5K

I just wanted to let my plication friends know that I am training for a 5-k that I will do in September. I want to be able the jog the entire thing. NO WALKING! I don't care about my time as much as just being able to jog it. I have been able to jog on the treadmill 1.5 miles, then walk the rest, but it is so much harder outside!

I just wanted to post this to give myself some accountability. I can't give up now since I am posted my goals for all to see.;)

I also think it is good for my mental health to have health and fitness goals that are not related to my weight/scale. KWIM? What are some of your non-scale goals?

Good for you!! That is my dream too. I know what you mean about jogging outside. so much different than on treadmill. I'm still self-conscience jogging outside. Thinking everything is jiggling so much. My brain hasn't changed much.

I just wanted to let my plication friends know that I am training for a 5-k that I will do in September. I want to be able the jog the entire thing. NO WALKING! I don't care about my time as much as just being able to jog it. I have been able to jog on the treadmill 1.5 miles, then walk the rest, but it is so much harder outside!

I just wanted to post this to give myself some accountability. I can't give up now since I am posted my goals for all to see.;)

I also think it is good for my mental health to have health and fitness goals that are not related to my weight/scale. KWIM? What are some of your non-scale goals?

Hey L,

That's awesome! What a great goal! I know you can do it!

Hey L

That's great! I did a 5K but walked most of it. My goal is to do another one in June and finish in under 50 minutes. I wogged (walk-jogged) 3 miles yesterday in 51 minutes so I'm almost there!

Are you following the C-2-5K program? My advice to you is to train outside as much as possible and if you can, jog where the actual race will take place so on race day you are familiar with the route.

Good luck!

PS - I'm wogging a 10K July 23 and the Long Beach 1/2 Marathon in October. We can do this!!! :)

Hey Jenn, I love the "wogging" My sister and I call it "jalking"

I just wanted to say I am still working on my 5k goal. I can SLOW jog a mile outside now. I have a way to go, but I have come a long way from where I started. I walk 3 miles on Fridays. Jog 1 mile and walk 1 mile on Wednesdays, and the rest of the time I just train on the treadmill or eliptical. It feel so good to be really active again! Such a big change from last summer when I was Fat, Pregnant, and miserable. I did read about the couch to 5k. I took a couple ideas from it, but I am kind of doing my own thing.

PS

I can do a mile in under 12 minutes now. FINALLY! :)

Update! I am doing my first official 5k on September 17th. I know I will not yet be able to jog the entire thing, but it is a walk/run 5k, so I figure if I jog the first two miles, then speed walk the last mile, I will have pretty good time. I want to do it in under 40 minutes. Wish me Luck :)

Update! I am doing my first official 5k on September 17th. I know I will not yet be able to jog the entire thing, but it is a walk/run 5k, so I figure if I jog the first two miles, then speed walk the last mile, I will have pretty good time. I want to do it in under 40 minutes. Wish me Luck :)

Good luck tomorrow! Keep us posted!

I did my first 5K last month (a charity event) - I had to walk but finished in under an hour so I was proud. This crazy 5K was up and down the ramps of the Gator Bowl here in Jacksonville - thought I was going to die - but knew I was going to finish if it took all night. You guys are so inspirational and helpful - please keep positng. I was banded and plicated (yes, I had BOTH) on 7/7/11 and I have lost 50 pounds (I am 60 yrs old) Feel great and have had no issues except occasional shoulder pain. I am now doing 5K in approx 45 minutes so I am getting better. Planning on doing the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in October with co-workers. Hang in there guys ! we can do this together !!!!

I did my first 5K last month (a charity event) - I had to walk but finished in under an hour so I was proud. This crazy 5K was up and down the ramps of the Gator Bowl here in Jacksonville - thought I was going to die - but knew I was going to finish if it took all night. You guys are so inspirational and helpful - please keep positng. I was banded and plicated (yes, I had BOTH) on 7/7/11 and I have lost 50 pounds (I am 60 yrs old) Feel great and have had no issues except occasional shoulder pain. I am now doing 5K in approx 45 minutes so I am getting better. Planning on doing the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in October with co-workers. Hang in there guys ! we can do this together !!!!

Well, it sounds like you may have to take the "chunky" part off of your name pretty soon! Good for you!

Lmom,

How did your 5k go?

I contemplated this for a bit, then actually had my first day yesterday. I'd read about it on here and on other websites. I found an app for my iPod that paces you while you listen to your music. I think out of 30 minutes yesterday, I ran about 8. Was kinda surprised, but I actually could do it.

I have been walking an hour at day at least five days a week since a month out. I also do an exercise class three mornings a week. I'm going to have to rotate out the walking though. My feet were killing me last night, and I only did the 30 minute interval of walking/running. They were already uncomfortable from the walking, but not sure they can stand this at this point. Any advice you guys have on how to deal with the aching feet, or just in generalwould be great. It took me 15 minutes to walk normally this morning.

Hey Mednar

The 5 k was fun. I did just what I thought I would do, I jogged the first 2 miles and walked the last mile, I started jogging for the last two blocks. I am hooked on Jogging. I am just jogging on the treadmill now. Yesterday I jogged 3 miles in 32 minutes. I love it! For some reason I can jog a 5k on the treadmill, but I can't outside.

I wish i had some good advice for your feet. That must be so frustrating to have that pain.

My suggestion to everyone is to just try it. I told myself to just try jogging at a 6 on the treadmill for only 30 seconds, three minutes later I was still going. Your body can do more then your mind thinks it can.

It is cold weather here now, so I won't be doing any official 5 k's until spring, but I am going to keep training on my treadmill all winter. I also tried Zumba at my local gym last night. I still prefer jogging, but it was a really fun change.

Hey Mednar

The 5 k was fun. I did just what I thought I would do, I jogged the first 2 miles and walked the last mile, I started jogging for the last two blocks. I am hooked on Jogging. I am just jogging on the treadmill now. Yesterday I jogged 3 miles in 32 minutes. I love it! For some reason I can jog a 5k on the treadmill, but I can't outside.

I wish i had some good advice for your feet. That must be so frustrating to have that pain.

My suggestion to everyone is to just try it. I told myself to just try jogging at a 6 on the treadmill for only 30 seconds, three minutes later I was still going. Your body can do more then your mind thinks it can.

It is cold weather here now, so I won't be doing any official 5 k's until spring, but I am going to keep training on my treadmill all winter. I also tried Zumba at my local gym last night. I still prefer jogging, but it was a really fun change.

Glad to here you are doing so well with that jogging thing Lmom1980...For some reason I still run out of breath too quickly for jogging so I am still walking - walking faster, but still walking. Sorry to hear about your feet and winter coming. I really don't have any suggestions for your feet except to massage them with peppermint lotion at bedtime - that really seems. to help sore tire feet - as for winter - I live in Florida so I have no excuse for not getting outside and hoofing my 3-4 miles each day. How do you like Zumba? I am looking for a class here that fits my schedule. I am afraid I will look FAT and stupid but I am willing to give it a shot. My weight loss is moving right along - down 64.5 pounds as of last night - only 51 more to go - woo hoo,....I feel great and have absolutely no problems with my surgery..Hope you are contiuing to do well and will make it throught the Thanksgiving Holidays (if you are in the US) with out any weight gain...

Take care - Short and Still Slightly Chunky (Melinda):P