Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

OCT. 1, 2013 - The First Day of the Rest of My Life

I am going to add some info, and I will probably add more later.

I am 36 years old, morbidly obese, and a type II diabetic. At my heaviest, I weighed around 380 lbs. More recently, I have been hovering around 300 lbs, but my diabetes has been virtually uncontrollable.

So, I decided in late August 2013 to attempt to qualify to have gastric bypass surgery. Long story short, and in what seems to be a miracle giving some other peoples experiences with doctors, insurance, etc, I was approved to have surgery on Oct. 1st.

I am writing this post as one of the first things I am doing since returning home today from the hospital.

My surgery went extremely well and I am fairly mobile with only a moderate level of discomfort/pain.

During my first day at the hospital (the day of surgery), I took two separate walks around the hospital, (one about a third of a mile, one about two thirds of a mile). During my second day, I took a one mile walk, and a one and a half mile walk). Everything I have read on the internet and gotten from my doctor has made it clear the best thing I can do to get this process to work is to walk as soon and as much as is possible, and that is what I have been doing.

I am so stoked for this process and I am going to do everything I can to make this work. I owe a lot of credit to this board, which I have been reading (but not posting in) for the past month or so as I researched what this would be like.

I look forward to using this forum to document my journey.

post-39117-13813813272745_thumb.jpg

Welcome!! I see you have staples. They taped and glued me and i had one cut also around my belly button. I have lost about 130 lbs since my high weight so it can and does work. What kind of diet so they have you on?

Welcome!! I see you have staples. They taped and glued me and i had one cut also around my belly button. I have lost about 130 lbs since my high weight so it can and does work. What kind of diet so they have you on?

Right now, just liquids. Broths, sugar free Jello, Protein shakes, crystal light, and ice pops. The staples come out next week, plus they look cool in the mean time.

How long on that diet?

A week. Then I can add in yogurt.

A week later I can add in pureed vegtables.

Congrats! Your incisions look great! Your gonna love the changes your body will make!!! ;)

Welcome!

I don't mind the staples, they look OK and aren't particularly uncomfortable. The hardest thing so far is eating or drinking anything. Ice pops are the most managable but even one of those is almost uncomfortable filling. My first experi,ent with a Protein Shake was a disaster as it was just too much ( even though it tasted fine). I need Protein and I need to stay hydrated and I can tell that is going to be quite a challenge.

Thank you so much for posting your journey. I am going soon and love to see what other people are experiencing and feeling. I noticed you live in Fayetteville, OMG, I am in Lumberton. I wish you and me all the best.

Lumberton and Fayetteville? OMG I'm from Monkey Junction!!! Sure do miss it. But sadly had to move to NY for work.

Glad to hear you are in such good spirits so soon after your surgery. Can't wait to hear more about your journey.

I know I won't have to complain about this too long, but I hate sleeping on my back. I am a belly sleeper and obviously that is not working right now.

I know I won't have to complain about this too long' date=' but I hate sleeping on my back. I am a belly sleeper and obviously that is not working right now.[/quote']

I'm dreading the back sleeping too. I'm a belly sleeper or sleep on my left side. I won't be able to do my left side because of the drain and g tube. I think I'll be in my recliner a few nights after surgery.

Hang in there! Hopefully u will be back on your belly before too long!

Good luck on your journey and keep up with the walking.... its benefits you in MANY ways :)

Took a nap in a chair today, much better than the sleep I got in bed last night. Drinking crystal light seems to be easier today, so that is positive. I think I MIGHT get in 64 ozs today. Got down my Multivitamins too. Still concerned I won't get in enough Protein, but my doc said for the first week concentrate on the liquid more than the protein.

I was back to sleeping on my tummy at about 1 1/2 weeks. As for Protein shakes...drink them slowly. It probably took me an hour per share at the beginning. The only fine I have been sick in almost 5 months I can attribute to drinking a shake too fast. Good luck! You will quickly find what works best for you!