Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having second thoughts....

So, did anyone else start worrying or have second thoughts before surgery? I have worked for over a year to get this done and now that it is actually getting close I'm getting a bit nervous. I find myself emotional eating a lot ( making myself sick with food), claiming I'm just preparing for my liquid diet. But then I worry that if I'm doing this now what's to stop me after surgery. I want to do this to be a healthy mom for my kids but I'm afraid I'm going to fail them.

I never had second thoughts. I felt totally prepared for the surgery and looked forward to getting it done. I have to admit though, I think I might have been much more worried if I had dependent children relying on me (my youngest is 22). I would have still done it but it definitely would have been harder emotionally. As it was my husband was not 100% for it. Outwardly he acted supportive but he was quiet and reserved about the whole thing and wouldn't discuss it. He told me later he was afraid I could die. I secretly made a will and left a copy w/my boss and put the original in my SD Box at my bank. If he knew that he would have freaked out! All went well - amazingly so. Little pain, no complications, quick recovery, successful weight loss - I'm very happy with the whole experience! :-)

I would have gone through with it even if my husband had been outwardly opposed to it. I spent my whole adult life caring for and sacrificing for my husband and my three children. I've ALWAYS put others first and never done anything for myself. This was for ME. At this stage in my life I feel I can finally start taking care of ME first. I wish I had done it years ago. I could have enjoyed doing more with my family and felt better doing it...

So' date=' did anyone else start worrying or have second thoughts before surgery? I have worked for over a year to get this done and now that it is actually getting close I'm getting a bit nervous. I find myself emotional eating a lot ( making myself sick with food), claiming I'm just preparing for my liquid diet. But then I worry that if I'm doing this now what's to stop me after surgery. I want to do this to be a healthy mom for my kids but I'm afraid I'm going to fail them.[/quote']

I was nervous but never considered not doing it. I think its normal to feel nervous and worried especially since you have children. As for the food- I think most of us did that. Last meal syndrome was big for me. I'm a food addict as many of us are. We coped with food. Post op you simply can't do it though! You'll get sick just thinking about that quantity of food post op. I wouldn't say I'm cured because I know if my stomach magically stretched back out I'd eat like a pig again.

What you are feeling is normal!

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

I completely feel the same way! When I first started on this road I started eating healthier, I used to drink sodas all day long at least 6. Now I'm down to 1 a day. Because I know I've got to give them up once I have the surgery. I'm scheduled for Nove. 26th. Now that it's getting closer I eat like a pig, I'm very nervous about the whole thing, and I wonder if this is right for me to. I've been reading Weight loss surgery for dummies and have realized that this is normal. This is such a life changing decision I think we all have to weigh all the factors. I know it's right for me, and I'm ready for it to happen. But I still can't put the food down. Then that makes others around me who know I'm having the surgery doubt I can do it after. That with the over eating has caused me alot of depression lately. I'm just trying to deal the best I can. I hope it helps you knowing that someone else is going thru the same thing.

I had second thoughts, especially as the day got closer and closer. I even regretted having surgery afterwards. It is def an emotional rollercoaster. There are foods that you will see and can't have for a while. I know food was def my comfort for alot of things. I had complications after my surgery and it sucks because I can't go and eat pizza or ice cream to comfort myself. All I can say is, think of the original reason why you wanted this in the first place. Yes it's scary, but if the benefits out way the good, then why not go ahead with it. Do you really want to give up all that you have worked for?

I was WAY nervous before. I couldn't believe I was actually doing it,.... But holy cow I am Soooooooooo happy I didn't back out! I would NEVER be where I am today if I hadn't done it. I'd probably still be 300 lbs and "trying" to lose weight or being on some new diet.... It never worked. The RNY works. I'd do it again if I had to... Luckily I'll never have to feel sad about my weight again.

I think the better question would be if there was any one who DIDN'T have 2nd thoughts. This is major surgery. You can read hundreds of posts on this issue in the archives.

But on the other hand, your risks of not being there for your kids are much higher if you are obese, especially if you have co-morbidities, than if you have the surgery. Not only will you be there for them if you use this tool, you'll be able to play with them, keep track of them as teenagers, dance like crazy at their weddings and have engery to babysit your grandkids. Certainly that is worth a few weeks of down time?

So' date=' did anyone else start worrying or have second thoughts before surgery? I have worked for over a year to get this done and now that it is actually getting close I'm getting a bit nervous. I find myself emotional eating a lot ( making myself sick with food), claiming I'm just preparing for my liquid diet. But then I worry that if I'm doing this now what's to stop me after surgery. I want to do this to be a healthy mom for my kids but I'm afraid I'm going to fail them.[/quote']

I had second thoughts...and third...and fourth, but im doing this for the sane reason as you, I want to be there for my kids as long as I can, im only a little over a month out but it was definitely the best decision i could have made, do what you feel is right for yourself, its normal to be worried, good luck!

So, did anyone else start worrying or have second thoughts before surgery? I have worked for over a year to get this done and now that it is actually getting close I'm getting a bit nervous. I find myself emotional eating a lot ( making myself sick with food), claiming I'm just preparing for my liquid diet. But then I worry that if I'm doing this now what's to stop me after surgery. I want to do this to be a healthy mom for my kids but I'm afraid I'm going to fail them.

life is really a trip because knowing what you have to do and then doing it is usually easier said then done! I have been struggling my entire preop diet really becoming depressing but I have come to far to turn around. My surgery is on Monday I'm really excited for this next phase in my journey. Good luck I realize that this is a major step toward living a healthier life, if we fall down all we can do is get back up and dust ourselves off.