Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In comparison to your pre-op days, being post op, what surprised you? I am feeling as prepared as possible, but there are always thugs that happen afterward that you did not expect to happen albeit good or bad. :D

I would have to say a few things- 1- how hard it was to drink liquids after surgery for the first six weeks or so. I just thought it would be the food that I would have to worry about but that went down great! You have to continue to sip sip sip all day long. First few weeks are rough! Also I expected to be up and running like my normal self a few weeks after surgery- but not the case!! It took me about six weeks to actually heal and literally on that six week mark- it was night and day!! I would just recommend that you remember to rest and let your body heal and that it gets better!!!

I would have to say a few things- 1- how hard it was to drink liquids after surgery for the first six weeks or so. I just thought it would be the food that I would have to worry about but that went down great! You have to continue to sip sip sip all day long. First few weeks are rough! Also I expected to be up and running like my normal self a few weeks after surgery- but not the case!! It took me about six weeks to actually heal and literally on that six week mark- it was night and day!! I would just recommend that you remember to rest and let your body heal and that it gets better!!!

I totally agree! It takes time after this surgery to feel back to normal. The fact that your hormones are affected was the most surprising to me and I did ALOT of research beforehand. I mean I bordered on obsessed! Realizing that there are different stages of healing really helped and reassured me that I wasnt going crazy at times! Best of luck!

What surprised me was me. I discovered many things about myself. I am 15 months post op and realized long ago this is more about mental battles than physical ones. For example I learned the following life lessons during this journey and continue to learn things.

Self esteem- I discovered a new found confidence, but I also discovered how low my self esteem was. I see it now in others as I am in public. I notice the signs of low self esteem.

Patience - this is one of the hardest things to learn. Stalls happen and although we think we should snap our fingers and the weight just drops off it does not happen that way. I had to learn to be patient with my body and brain.

Perseverance - knowing that my docs plan is a proven successful one and trusting that it will work.

Strength - physically and mentally. I discovered during my first 4 months that I was a much stronger woman than I thought i was. I was nauseated everyday and threw up at least once a day, but I was strong enough to get through the tough times.

Happiness - I discovered I am a very happy person. Which brought forward how miserable I was with all the weight on. I thought I was happy eating everything in sight, but now I know what happiness is and food does not provide that happiness anymore. My new life does!

Brightness - my outlook on life is brighter. My middle name is Sunshine and I now feel like I live up to the name. I love to smile and have been told several times the past year that my smile brightens the room. I have so many more happy days than miserable days now

Goals - I started out in the journey wanting to reach a silly number on a scale, but soon realized other goals were much more exciting to reach. I am training for the police academy, a 5k, and can play 90 min of soccer with no problems.

Love - my husband and I reconnected on such a powerful level. We were like newlyweds again. I realized how much he truly loves me. He accepts me for me and nothing more or less. Finally truly loving myself has allowed me to love in a deeper way.

Personal demons - I came to face to face with demons I had pushed away with food. The scared little girl who only wanted friends suddenly had lots of friends. However my mind and the little voice keeps saying they only like you because your skinny. Facing that demon has been hard, because there is so much wrapped up in it. Did I eat to protect myself from pain of people, or did I make food my best friend because it never said no. I still struggle with this issue. It is hard to realize that every new person I meet only knows Skinny Samantha not big girl Samantha. Take it a step further and I think to myself - would they like big girl or are they my friend because I am skinny.

Health - I am getting illness under control. I have Rheumatoid arthritis and have been able to decrease my level of steroids from 20mg a day to 2.5mg a day. My pain is better and quality of life is better.

There are a lot more, but those were the highlights. This is a journey and a wild ride, but well worth the cost of admission! I love my new life and look forward to more self discovery!

What surprised me:

Good - I was amazed at how easy the whole surgery and recovery process was for me. I expected a lot of pain but it was very minimal. I expected it to take a long time before I felt good but it was only 1-2 weeks.

Bad: As easy as the recovery was for me my biggest issue was an allergic reaction to something surgery-related. A couple days post-op I developed a very itchy angry rash that grew and spread till it covered half my abdomen, upper arms, thighs, and lower back. Surgery no big deal... and a rash kicks my but! I was miserable for almost three weeks! Also I was surprised how difficult it was to manage my Vitamins, supplements, and medications and also juggle Fluid and Protein requirements. It takes time to develop a routine that fits your life and more to get used to it. I have a comfortable routine now and a backup plan for 'glitches'.

What surprised me was me. I discovered many things about myself. I am 15 months post op and realized long ago this is more about mental battles than physical ones. For example I learned the following life lessons during this journey and continue to learn things.

Self esteem- I discovered a new found confidence, but I also discovered how low my self esteem was. I see it now in others as I am in public. I notice the signs of low self esteem.

Patience - this is one of the hardest things to learn. Stalls happen and although we think we should snap our fingers and the weight just drops off it does not happen that way. I had to learn to be patient with my body and brain.

Perseverance - knowing that my docs plan is a proven successful one and trusting that it will work.

Strength - physically and mentally. I discovered during my first 4 months that I was a much stronger woman than I thought i was. I was nauseated everyday and threw up at least once a day, but I was strong enough to get through the tough times.

Happiness - I discovered I am a very happy person. Which brought forward how miserable I was with all the weight on. I thought I was happy eating everything in sight, but now I know what happiness is and food does not provide that happiness anymore. My new life does!

Brightness - my outlook on life is brighter. My middle name is Sunshine and I now feel like I live up to the name. I love to smile and have been told several times the past year that my smile brightens the room. I have so many more happy days than miserable days now

Goals - I started out in the journey wanting to reach a silly number on a scale, but soon realized other goals were much more exciting to reach. I am training for the police academy, a 5k, and can play 90 min of soccer with no problems.

Love - my husband and I reconnected on such a powerful level. We were like newlyweds again. I realized how much he truly loves me. He accepts me for me and nothing more or less. Finally truly loving myself has allowed me to love in a deeper way.

Personal demons - I came to face to face with demons I had pushed away with food. The scared little girl who only wanted friends suddenly had lots of friends. However my mind and the little voice keeps saying they only like you because your skinny. Facing that demon has been hard, because there is so much wrapped up in it. Did I eat to protect myself from pain of people, or did I make food my best friend because it never said no. I still struggle with this issue. It is hard to realize that every new person I meet only knows Skinny Samantha not big girl Samantha. Take it a step further and I think to myself - would they like big girl or are they my friend because I am skinny.

Health - I am getting illness under control. I have Rheumatoid arthritis and have been able to decrease my level of steroids from 20mg a day to 2.5mg a day. My pain is better and quality of life is better.

There are a lot more, but those were the highlights. This is a journey and a wild ride, but well worth the cost of admission! I love my new life and look forward to more self discovery!

I,love this thanks!

What surprised me was how quickly I bounced back.... I had surgery on a monday was home late wednesday afternoon and back to work that Monday. I worked 1/2 days in the office and 1/2 days at home for one week and then the following week back to regular full time in the office days. The pain was not that bad and that is coming from someone who cannot stand one bit of pain :) I had to learn to chew !!! I got the foamies often because I was not chewing enough but I learned quickly. I was VERY fortunate to not have any complications and healed quite quickly.

What surprised me was how quickly I bounced back.... I had surgery on a monday was home late wednesday afternoon and back to work that Monday. I worked 1/2 days in the office and 1/2 days at home for one week and then the following week back to regular full time in the office days. The pain was not that bad and that is coming from someone who cannot stand one bit of pain :) I had to learn to chew !!! I got the foamies often because I was not chewing enough but I learned quickly. I was VERY fortunate to not have any complications and healed quite quickly.

You call them foamies :) lol, I get them as well when I don't chew the hell out of my food :) I went to work 2 weeks after the surgery, but I was exhausted for the first week. No pain here either.

You call them foamies :) lol' date=' I get them as well when I don't chew the hell out of my food :) I went to work 2 weeks after the surgery, but I was exhausted for the first week. No pain here either.[/quote']

I HATE the foamies!! It ALWAYS means I will be throwing up soon! :)

What surprised me was me. I discovered many things about myself. I am 15 months post op and realized long ago this is more about mental battles than physical ones. For example I learned the following life lessons during this journey and continue to learn things. Self esteem- I discovered a new found confidence' date=' but I also discovered how low my self esteem was. I see it now in others as I am in public. I notice the signs of low self esteem. Patience - this is one of the hardest things to learn. Stalls happen and although we think we should snap our fingers and the weight just drops off it does not happen that way. I had to learn to be patient with my body and brain. Perseverance - knowing that my docs plan is a proven successful one and trusting that it will work. Strength - physically and mentally. I discovered during my first 4 months that I was a much stronger woman than I thought i was. I was nauseated everyday and threw up at least once a day, but I was strong enough to get through the tough times. Happiness - I discovered I am a very happy person. Which brought forward how miserable I was with all the weight on. I thought I was happy eating everything in sight, but now I know what happiness is and food does not provide that happiness anymore. My new life does! Brightness - my outlook on life is brighter. My middle name is Sunshine and I now feel like I live up to the name. I love to smile and have been told several times the past year that my smile brightens the room. I have so many more happy days than miserable days now Goals - I started out in the journey wanting to reach a silly number on a scale, but soon realized other goals were much more exciting to reach. I am training for the police academy, a 5k, and can play 90 min of soccer with no problems. Love - my husband and I reconnected on such a powerful level. We were like newlyweds again. I realized how much he truly loves me. He accepts me for me and nothing more or less. Finally truly loving myself has allowed me to love in a deeper way. Personal demons - I came to face to face with demons I had pushed away with food. The scared little girl who only wanted friends suddenly had lots of friends. However my mind and the little voice keeps saying they only like you because your skinny. Facing that demon has been hard, because there is so much wrapped up in it. Did I eat to protect myself from pain of people, or did I make food my best friend because it never said no. I still struggle with this issue. It is hard to realize that every new person I meet only knows Skinny Samantha not big girl Samantha. Take it a step further and I think to myself - would they like big girl or are they my friend because I am skinny. Health - I am getting illness under control. I have Rheumatoid arthritis and have been able to decrease my level of steroids from 20mg a day to 2.5mg a day. My pain is better and quality of life is better. There are a lot more, but those were the highlights. This is a journey and a wild ride, but well worth the cost of admission! I love my new life and look forward to more self discovery! [/quote']

This was incredible!!! You have come to realize what I dream of realizing. There is so much in your post that I can relate to, that I, if possible, want this surgery more. I cannot speak for everyone, but for myself, this is what I want to be when I grow up haha. Thank you everyone for your time in writing these posts, I am getting insight, I never expected. You are truly amazing!

What surprised me: Good - I was amazed at how easy the whole surgery and recovery process was for me. I expected a lot of pain but it was very minimal. I expected it to take a long time before I felt good but it was only 1-2 weeks. Bad: As easy as the recovery was for me my biggest issue was an allergic reaction to something surgery-related. A couple days post-op I developed a very itchy angry rash that grew and spread till it covered half my abdomen' date=' upper arms, thighs, and lower back. Surgery no big deal... and a rash kicks my but! I was miserable for almost three weeks! Also I was surprised how difficult it was to manage my Vitamins, supplements, and medications and also juggle Fluid and Protein requirements. It takes time to develop a routine that fits your life and more to get used to it. I have a comfortable routine now and a backup plan for 'glitches'.[/quote']

It is really hard to fathom that we will have a difficulty with foods and drinks. Right now it is easy, and I believe we never really "know" until we experience it!

I am sorry about your rash. Was it a staph infection?

I HATE the foamies!! It ALWAYS means I will be throwing up soon! :)

Good to know haha. I am afraid... And excited to relearn my body!

It is really hard to fathom that we will have a difficulty with foods and drinks. Right now it is easy' date=' and I believe we never really "know" until we experience it!

I am sorry about your rash. Was it a staph infection?[/quote']

No. I saw the PA twice, the surgeon once and neither could figure it out. We tried oral meds, creams, salves, and ointments - nothing helped and a couple made it worse. They sent me to a dermatologist who said it had to be an allergic reaction to something surgery-related. Maybe medication, maybe the surgical glue, maybe the sutures. Someone suggested the possibility that it may have been the blood thinning injections I received in the hospital. I was told to take liquid children's Benedryl and got yet another script for a cream that also didn't help. I spent over two hundred dollars in script co-payments. What finally helped was the liquid Benedryl and generic benedryl cream I bought in Walmart - it was the only thing that worked on the terrible itching. The rash just had to run it's course.

Aside from that the surgery was a piece of cake! :-)

How hard it was just trying to drink one small cup of Water. Forget food, that was just plain aggravating.

Quite the shock from being a gourmand to not being able to tolerate the basics to survive.

No. I saw the PA twice' date=' the surgeon once and neither could figure it out. We tried oral meds, creams, salves, and ointments - nothing helped and a couple made it worse. They sent me to a dermatologist who said it had to be an allergic reaction to something surgery-related. Maybe medication, maybe the surgical glue, maybe the sutures. Someone suggested the possibility that it may have been the blood thinning injections I received in the hospital. I was told to take liquid children's Benedryl and got yet another script for a cream that also didn't help. I spent over two hundred dollars in script co-payments. What finally helped was the liquid Benedryl and generic benedryl cream I bought in Walmart - it was the only thing that worked on the terrible itching. The rash just had to run it's course.

Aside from that the surgery was a piece of cake! :-)[/quote']

Did yours start near your surgical drain. I have a small rash above mine looks like where the tape was maybe but is a little bigger