Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am Pre-OP-surgery date is tenatively scheduled for 3/8. I am now on the Pre-OP "starvation" diet :cry

I have a couple of questions:

1. Do all doctors have a sleep study done?

I had one last night and they said that I might have mild sleep apena--but that I would have to come back for a second test with a cepat?sp machine:notagree I am a little annoyed because I didn't complain of sleep problems to my doctors (he does these test if the BMI is over 45). Anyway, the sleep coordinator --said that if I need one of these machines for recovery I would have to bring it????? This makes no sense.

2. Do all doctors have a Pre-OP liquid diet?

Good luck in the days ahead.....my surgeon did not require a pre-op liquid diet but in order for me to get a surgery date, I needed to lose 5% of my body weight. I have sleep apnea, I had a sleep study done about 3 years ago before I even considered a band. I was told to bring my cpap machine when I had surgery only for my own sleeping comfort. I did use it the night after my surgery, only so that I would get quality sleep. I am hoping that with continued weight loss, I can give up the machine. It gets annoying sometimes....I wish you well on your journey...

Ollie

Denise

My Doc said that if you have sleep apnea, you can die on the table in recovery. He has everyone tested. He says it's simple... if you have apnea, when you wake up you will have a c-pap mask and machine on.

Apnea is stopping breathing. When you do it at home, you usually adjust and start again, but with anesthesia you are sleeping "heavier" than at home.

The sleep tech told me that more than half of the people that come to be tested have some form of apnea! And 99% of those did not know. So you could definately have it and not know.

You're doctor sounds as serious as mine about avoiding any complications- this is a good thing.

Good luck!

Kim

banded 1/30/07

223/217/205/130

pre-op/surg day/today/goal

My Dr does a sleep study based on BMI, and I think neck size for men, and/or if you snore. I'm glad really, I knew I probably had apnea, but was just ignoring it. I can't believe how much better I feel using the Cpap.

The sleep Dr was very happy to hear that more surgeons are paying attention to apnea and the problems it can cause during surgery. He said he's been called in too much when a patient has problems post surgery.

I know it feels like an inconvenience to deal with this, but it really is for the best. sleep apnea is serious. Your air passages close up and you stop breathing. After a period of time you wake up gasping. This not only ruins the quality of your sleep, but it puts a terrible burden on your heart.

In the past I was tired a lot and I knew I did not sleep well, but I did not think that much about it. I snored really bad also so my wife would go sleep in another room quite often. One day she said to me "you know, you stop breathing at night sometimes for, like, 30 seconds, and then wake up gasping. I think you ought to go see a doctor." I resisted for a while and then I went, had a couple sleep studies, got diagnosed, and now use a CPAP (Continuous Positive Air Pressure) machine. I feel much better now and no longer feel like I'm going to pass out in the afternoons from exhaustion.

As another poster said, once we lose weight we may no longer need the CPAP. This is a good thing, and it will evidence that health is improving even more.

But for now, if you have apnea, you really do want to know. It is truly a very serious health problem.

I am Pre-OP-surgery date is tenatively scheduled for 3/8. I am now on the Pre-OP "starvation" diet :cry

I have a couple of questions:

1. Do all doctors have a sleep study done?

I had one last night and they said that I might have mild sleep apena--but that I would have to come back for a second test with a cepat?sp machine:notagree I am a little annoyed because I didn't complain of sleep problems to my doctors (he does these test if the BMI is over 45). Anyway, the sleep coordinator --said that if I need one of these machines for recovery I would have to bring it????? This makes no sense.

2. Do all doctors have a Pre-OP liquid diet?

It was part of the requirement that a sleep study be done. The theory is that obese individuals tend to have sleep apnea. Who knew? My first night was a bust. I can't sleep well in strange places. Of course she needed me out for five hours ( ha ha ha ha ha... laughing still ) Me? Five hours straight without moving all night? (kidding right?) The second study with CPAP showed she got so much wind down me with that CPAP that she got my breathing to a normal range. Of course I woke up after three hours and thought I was in a tornado. (how little we realize that what we live with is not "normal" ). In essence, sleep apnea is when you stop breathing.

Pre-OP diet's purpose is to flush your liver of toxins (fatty stuff) and reduce it's size. Also your tummy. When they go in for the surgery, there isn't so much of that chicken fat to sift through. Less scoping and searching around makes it easier on us. ( less recovery time and I would imagine pain afterwards)

Pass the Water please.

I had my surgery done on 2/15, and a couple of weeks prior to that my doctor asked about the sleep apnea. I know I have it, but I've never been diagnosed with it. He said that it was up to me whether or not I had the sleep study done, and I opted not to do it. He also explained to me that the anesthesiologist that he uses is accustomed to working with obese patients and therefore considers all of them to have sleep apnea and takes necessary precautions.

As for the diet prior to the surgery, I wasn't required to lose any weight before the surgery. It wasn't even mentioned. I think that just depends on the surgeon you see

-Amy

Banded on 2/15/07 by Dr. Hamn

I mentioned to my doc that I thought I might have sleep apnea. He said if it was mild or moderate that he wouldn't be concerned for the surgery but he sent me to a sleep study just in case. I knew I had something wrong because i was so exhausted everyday. I couldn't understand how people could wake up in the morning refreshed and energized, as it had never been that way for me. Well it turned out that my apnea was severe and I have been using the CPAP machine for about a month now. The medical technician said the setting was high, 17 or 19 can't quite remember...and that it would take some getting used to. It really wasn't too bad and was nice to actually blink my eyes in the afternoon and feel comfortable that that small action wouldn't cause me to nap. LOL

I will be glad if losing weight helps me to lose this machine though. It really can be a pain. :)

Good Luck!