Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Slippage

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me what a slipped band feels like??

I'm a little worried :faint: .

most likely you would not be able to eat or drink anything without it coming right back up. Relfux at night where you are choking on your own saliva However there have been others here who have had slipped bands and had zero symptoms

Thanks for the reply La Madam. I wonder what % of people have no symptoms. My DR told me that he stitched my band to my stomach, so I can't imagine it slipping without me having any symptoms. I guess I'm somewhat concerned because I cheated on my post-op diet.

a slip will only occur from repeated vomiting for weeks or months, all bands are stitched into position. Horribly unlikely you have a slip this close to your surgery date. We all have cheated (some), don't sweat it. I bet your band is just fine.

I agree, and I think (as a surgeonwith a band and who puts bands in) that the percentage of people who slip with an appropriately adjusted band and who do not vomit is incredibly rare, and even more rare are stitches "coming undone" years after being placed. I do strongly agree with the results are worth the risk!

JohnnyMobs - Have you heard of the technique of placing a stitch (or stitches) to form a "bump" on the anterior side of the stomach right above the band? It doesn't actually affix the band to the stomach on that side, but it provides a sort of barrier to help prevent anterior slippage.

My surgeon used this technique on me - she learned it from Dr. Ponce in Georgia.

Hey guys! I used to browse through the threads...I haven't been here in a long time...I'm seeing a doc in Duluth, I'm from the Range, and I was banded on June 16, 2005. All has been well basically the entire time, until recenly when I got sick...I threw up violently many times, which KILLED on my stomach. I recommend anyone who gets sick or feels nausea coming on....get your band emptied right away. Now all of a sudden I have no restriction at all. I don't know why yet, if it's slipped, or eroded, or if I have a dialated pouch. It's crazy because I have 5.2 in my band, and I guess typically you shouldn't have more than 5 in a size 10 band. So to not have any restriction all of a sudden is scaring me. I'm supposed to go to Duluth on Friday for an upper GI, but we are expecting a mega snow storm, so I'm trying to reschedule for early next week. The bad part is no restriction, and the old habits don't take long to resurface...and I tell you, it's like I missed food, and I'm trying like a competition to see if I can taste one of everything that I've missed....it's not good. Time for some self control, and prayer. Just felt the need to vent to people who would understand! Thanks for listening!!! :()

<!-- / message -->

Not to scare you Dori but my doc had a patient that did slip right after surgery - she wrote about her experience quite a bit on his site - she ate a small piece of chicken I think a day or two after and it was enough to slip and she had to have another surgery to repair it. Soooo, yes we have all had slip ups (no pun intended) but imo the first 21 days or so after banding are the most important in following the rules as you are healing inside and even if you feel ok - chew to goo and don't feel bad - your stomach is still working, moving around to get it through ..so be careful, hang in there -we've all been there - good luck. mary

Are you sure it is above the band (on the pouch) and not just below the band? let me know...thanks

Sorry for my late response to this - I did not check this thread after I posted. Ok - now that I think about it - it wouldn't make sense for the stitch to be ABOVE the band - so it must be BELOW the band. Is this a technique that is routinely performed nowadays?

By the way, does the Pars Flaccida technique ONLY prevent POSTERIOR slippage, or does it contribute to preventing ANTERIOR slippage as well? Do you ever see posterior slippages anymore with the Pars Flaccida technique?

Thanks,

Yvonne

I have new info direct from my surgeon regarding this special stitch. The stitch is below the band on the medial side. She said that most who are using the Inamed band are teaching this technique. There is not an official name, but they call it the transfixion stitch.

P.S. What is the "Medial" side of the stomach?

I have no idea what the medial side of the stomach is....does that mean it could slip up? I don't know...I finally go in on Wed to my real doc...I will let you know what he says....I'm totally cornfused.

Well, the stitch prevents the band from slipping DOWN. I just wondered what the medial side is ... sounds like "middle" to me, but that's not really a "side," so I'm confused. :)

-Yvonne