Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Saskatchewan Gal

Wow that's interesting and I'm envious,I feel no restriction at all,and am quite hungry...bad combination.:eek:

I know what you mean. I was banded a week after you and am a couple of days into mushies.

I have to measure it. I know I could eat more than I am at a time, but I have to keep reminding myself that it is practice for what is to come.

I also have to agree with the protien thing. I am normally hitting about 80 grams per day, in about 1000 total calories. I really notice the hunger kick in when I am short on protien.

Hang in there, it wont be long before a fill.

Andrew

Hi went on to solids yesterday and weighin is Sunday. I think I stayed the same or gained. I will see. I certainly am eating small amounts, but no exercise usually adds up to no loss. How is everyone else doing? Doddie

I have been on liquids since last Monday and expected weight to fall off. Not happening - I have not been exercising very much and maybe that's it. Did 20 min today and will keep doing 20- 30 minutes a day from now on so maybe that will help.

Doddie, how did weigh in go?

Hi - Stayed the same. One of the bandsters pointed out to me that at this early stage, the body thinks it is starving and goes into starvation mode and you won't necessarily lose weight. I had my first run in with the "sliming" and it wasn't any fun. I was making stew, and forgot myself and gulped a chunck of meat. It stuck and after much pain, I brought it up but I continued to slime for 30 minutes. I am alright now, but will go on liquids for 24 hours to let my pouch calm down. Thank goodness for all the bandsters talking about the "downside" to the pouch. I didn't panic, I just rode out the storm and resolved to be more careful. Thanks everyone for not only praising the band but telling the ugly side as well. Doddie

Hey mommy2002: I am from Estevan, SK and i am getting banded on June 12th! I am so happy someone else from our small town has gotten banded! I am sure I am the talk of the town right now as I have not kept it a secret that is what I am doing! I feel that if I do it and it helps some else to do it then great! Where do you get your fills?

Hey mommy2002 I am from Laird SK a little town NE from Saskatoon and I am going to St Albert AB next monday for my first fill, I know it is a long drive but I get to spend some time with my son who lives there so it is not all bad.

I hope that there is somebody that will do it in Saskatoon would be so much nicer.

Sieni

Sieni did you find a fill nurse in Saskatoon? My doc reneged when he saw how difficult the fill for me would be . The port flipped so back to TO tomorrow to have it corrected. As for fills, back to square one for me. Guess I will have to fly to TO for the fills and any defills go to ER here in North Vanc. At least in Sask. you can get to Alta fairly easily. Doddie

Doddie, who have you contacted about doing fills there in the Vancouver area?

I'd for sure go back to TO for the flipped port fix, but what about even just making day trips to Calgary? You can get flights for $100 each way. (I did it once last year, to TO in the am, got a fill and home that night)

Hi Argon: I have had so much difficulty in locating a fill nurse/doctore in N. Van. I was so elated when the TLBC found a doc. in Delta that would take me. I paid $400.00 for the visit only to find out 25 minutes of trying to do the fill, the doc (who is a surgeon trained by Dr. Yau) told me the port had flipped. He has since stopped taking patients of other surgeons because of his experience with me. I am still hoping, that he will keep me on if Dr. Yau anchors the port. If not, I will fly to TO and stick with whom I know. I am so tired of being rejected time and time again so will wait to see if the TLBC comes thru with a fill nurse in BC. I understand they are working on it. Doddie

This is why it is sooooo very important to ensure you have aftercare all researched and lined up before getting surgery. This is a big thing for out of Canada patients (ie. Mexico) but obviously for in Canada patients, as well.

IMHO, though it is nice if the clinics help out in finding a fill person, I feel the onus is on the individual and it is their responsibility.

Yoda: If you read my old posts you would have seen I did my have my GP lined up. He reneged. But, the clinic also has a responsibility to inform the client that fills are a difficult problem for people outside Ontario. The DVD suggests local gps can easily do the fill. Maybeso, but most will not do the proceedure. That was never pointed out to me and in my view should have been.

HI,

I saw your post about being banded. I'm from Weyburn area.. I'm just starting to do research on the lapbanding and would love to have the procedure done and would like to talk with others.. did you have the surgery done in Sask? Any advise or thoughts or concerns one should know about.. Thanks

BGP

hi: who are you addressing your thoughts to. I live in BC but was born and raised in Yorkton. What type of questions do you have? The most important one to look for "who will do your after care such as fills". You can get the band done in Alberta or Toronto by very reputable doctors. Just ask away, and I will try to answer or steer you to the right site.

Doddie

Yes, not sure who you are addressing. Gotta add though, you could also get it done in BC as well as Toronto. Not in Saskatchewan, and not in Alberta, unless you're a AB resident, and have the time and patience to wait.. they're not doing it as a self-pay thing.

I was living in SK when I was banded (I went to SWLC www.lapband.ca in Toronto ), and at that time there was no one doing fills in SK, so I was prepared to travel to Calgary (or back to TO) each time I needed a fill. My dr. has been training people in each province to do fills on his patients (and some non patients, I think), and now has one in Saskatoon.

I'm sure there's no one in Weyburn doing fills, but I know for sure there is one or 2 in Saskatoon. That's the biggest thing, I think, to consider when thinking about where to go, as an out of provincer. You don't wanna be screwed when it comes around to actually having this thing work!

hi: who are you addressing your thoughts to. I live in BC but was born and raised in Yorkton. What type of questions do you have? The most important one to look for "who will do your after care such as fills". You can get the band done in Alberta or Toronto by very reputable doctors. Just ask away, and I will try to answer or steer you to the right site.

Doddie

But really, there is no one doing Lapband in Alberta on a self pay basis, they are all done for the public health system in Alberta.

If you want to south pay you will have to look east to SWLC, TLBC or the couple of docs that do them on the west coast (thier names escape me right now).

Andrew