Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having a hard time..I feel like giving up..binging...need encouragement

Hey all,

My doctor puts all his patients on a strict diet for the first year post op. The diet is 70 percent Protein and 30 percent vegetables in a 2 oz "meal" three times a day. (Protein can include low carb dairy products.) We are not supposed to eat more than 20 grams of carbs per day. I am 8 weeks out, and I am constantly feeling really hungry. I found that I can eat way more than 2 ounces in one setting, without getting sick...I can eat 7 to almost 9 oz...I called my doctor's office and they suggested taking 20 minutes to eat my 2 oz meal so that I'd feel full that if I was in the day I could have two 1 oz Protein snacks! They also cautioned me about eating so much; they said I could stretch out my pouch. But none of this has worked! Also I lost 35 pounds my first 3 weeks, and 5 pounds my fourth week. Since then, however I haven't lost a single pound. I feel so frustrated and depressed! I did pretty well on my diet for the first 7 weeks, but for the last few days I've been binging on Oreo Cookies. I really feel like giving up...I feel so unhappy following the stupid diet and not losing another lb! At least while I'm eating Cookies I feel temporary happy. I know that is .messed up thinking, but I don't know what to do. This situation has even affectied my marriage. my husband had RNY 3 months ago and he's doing great! I know everybody's different, but I find myself feeling so jealousy and resentment towards him. I don't know what to do.I know if I keep eating like this I'm going to gain weight, I'll be really depressed. I'm not willing to sacrifice my marriage either. Has anybody had a similar situation? What can I do? I'm sorry this post is so long but I really need some help!

You can get through this!! Everyone has a stall usually around 3-4 wks- I'm in mine too. I don't know what to say about the diet, all I can say is that no one is perfect and if you eat an Oreo fine but just get back to where your suppose to be. This is life now and to be on a year long diet I think is a lil unrealistic. You need to follow your drs guidelines but learn to adapt them to your new lifestyle. If you are hungry, eat 4 oz instead of 2. Try what works for you. I always remind myself that this is my lifestyle now not my diet. Good luck, you can do it.

Hey all' date='

My doctor puts all his patients on a strict diet for the first year post op. The diet is 70 percent Protein and 30 percent vegetables in a 2 oz "meal" three times a day. (Protein can include low carb dairy products.) We are not supposed to eat more than 20 grams of carbs per day. I am 8 weeks out, and I am constantly feeling really hungry. I found that I can eat way more than 2 ounces in one setting, without getting sick...I can eat 7 to almost 9 oz...I called my doctor's office and they suggested taking 20 minutes to eat my 2 oz meal so that I'd feel full that if I was in the day I could have two 1 oz Protein snacks! They also cautioned me about eating so much; they said I could stretch out my pouch. But none of this has worked! Also I lost 35 pounds my first 3 weeks, and 5 pounds my fourth week. Since then, however I haven't lost a single pound. I feel so frustrated and depressed! I did pretty well on my diet for the first 7 weeks, but for the last few days I've been binging on Oreo Cookies. I really feel like giving up...I feel so unhappy following the stupid diet and not losing another lb! At least while I'm eating Cookies I feel temporary happy. I know that is .messed up thinking, but I don't know what to do. This situation has even affectied my marriage. my husband had RNY 3 months ago and he's doing great! I know everybody's different, but I find myself feeling so jealousy and resentment towards him. I don't know what to do.I know if I keep eating like this I'm going to gain weight, I'll be really depressed. I'm not willing to sacrifice my marriage either. Has anybody had a similar situation? What can I do? I'm sorry this post is so long but I really need some help![/quote']

My doc did not have a strict diet post op, but what I mainly hear from your post is the typical 4-8week post op blues.

Think about what you have accomplished 40 lbs lost in 4 weeks is amazing. Don't compare yourself to anyone especially men. They tend to lose weight so much easier than we do. I would suggest you begin using food logs. It is the best way to get control of your eating habits. It is hard to deny what you are eating when you have to log it. However go a step further with it. Rate your hunger on a scale of 1-10. Then write down how you are feeling. This will allow you to see if a pattern forms. For example I noticed I ate more on the nights that I was busy at work. Usually I would stop at a convince store and get junk food. My solution was taking healthy treats to substitute.

Now as for the stall you are in - it is 100% normal. After surgery our bodies go through so many changes. Our brain can not keep up with all of it. Finally our brain catches on to what we are doing and it closes the factory. You keep eating, but your brain is so scared you are in the lean winter months that it holds on its fat. Don't worry the brain will begin to figure out this is a permeant change and start losing weight again. When you get the urge to eat thing you Should not think about why you want to eat it. Is it your brain telling you or are you trying to get the high from eating those Oreos. Instead of choosing Oreos find something that would be closer to your docs plan.

All docs are different and all have their reasons for their protocols. I don't think it is my place to tell you what my doc does because you need to follow his protocols.

My Dr has the same diet... Are you drinking enough fluids.. 64+ oz a day depending on your weight. This could be your hunger problem.

~Leticia **HW: 259**PreOp: 216**SURG: 3/21/13 **Discharged @: 221** 4.5 mons post op. CW: 160.0 lbs. --- Only 10 lbs to my goal ---

I felt hunger early on as well. It is good to follow your surgeon's plan, but obviously it just isn't enough for you. You should toss those oreo's out and eat something with Protein in it when you are hungry. Like someone else said, try 4oz of food per meal, eat something with protein every 2-3 hours so you don't feel deprived. Surgeon's plans are great but they can't give everyone the same plan and expect it to work for everyone. Use this early post op time to learn healthy ways to stop your hunger. I eat 3-4 oz of food every 3ish hours, keeps me full and keeps the cravings away.

Thanks so much, guys, all of you. I really appreciate your advice and knowing that someone else cares about what I am going through. Thanks for the advice too! I feel like I Am starting to get a plan together that I can follow. Thanks so much! You guys are awesome!