Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Substitute discoveries?

Ok so I am almost 7 weeks out. I was ready to pull my hair out because I was needing something crunchy but refused to give into chips, so my doctor suggested dry roasted almonds.

She hit the nail on the head. I love the crunch and little hint of salt on them. I eat a couple with lunch and a couple as a mid day snack. That was just the crunch I needed and it's so much better than the family size bag of chips I used to go through in a day. I can't believe how much I ate!

Anyone else finding yummy substitutes for old favorites? I have tried making zucchini chips and zucchini pizza in the oven and turkey meatballs with low sugar spaghetti sauce to curb my spaghetti cravings. Delish.

Spaghetti Squash is awesome and easy.

Cauliflower fried 'rice' - shredded cauliflower with grilled veggies, chicken and asian seasoning. super yummy.

Quinea (sp) I've heard a lot about but haven't tried it yet. it's a good sub for starch, packed with Protein, and supposedly easy to prepare.

Quinoa is a great substitute. Can be used as side, as Protein or as desert.

I'm not post op so can't say how it would work.

Where do you buy spaghetti squash? I've seen it all over Pinterest.

I can't have quinoa yet. My doctors doesn't allow any grains, breads, cereals, or anything until 6 months.

Where do you buy spaghetti squash? I've seen it all over Pinterest.

I can't have quinoa yet. My doctors doesn't allow any grains' date=' breads, cereals, or anything until 6 months.[/quote']

You can buy spaghetti squash in the produce section of any grocery store. They are yellow and oval shaped.

Most produce stores have them ask an associate where they are.

Pinterest has a lot of cool recipes. You can search bariatric recipes or weight loss surgery recipes. We made a pizza with a cauliflower crust, and apparently you can make mashed cauliflower that is said to taste just like mashed potatoes. just be sure to read over the recipes carefully, and make sure to follow the guidelines on the diet your specific doctor gives you. I've been finding out that they're not all the same.

Also, my doctor's office told me we can have sugar free pudding occasionally.

Has anyone tried agave for sweetening tea?

I haven't tried it in tea but I tried it in oatmeal. I had to use a lot of it just to sweeten a bowl or oatmeal when just 1 Splenda packet would have done it. I have used truvia sweetener to make sweet tea and it was pretty good.

I haven't tried it in tea but I tried it in oatmeal. I had to use a lot of it just to sweeten a bowl or oatmeal when just 1 Splenda packet would have done it. I have used truvia sweetener to make sweet tea and it was pretty good.

I used Splenda on strawberries and loved it. Mixes great with Decaf unsweetened tea, as well.

Anyone heard or uses pea Protein?

You may want to be careful with pea Protein, the quality of it is pretty bad comparing to whey... I was warned by my dietician.

Speaking of sweetners, Splenda is sucralose which may not be really good for you vs Truvia is an extract from stevia plant leaves and completely natural. I have been Truvia user since it came on the market :)