Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap-Band or By-pass????

Hi all, I had my consultation with the surgeon. One question he asked me was one I have not run into on this board. He asked that when he has me out for the surgery to put in the band, and IF he was to have to make the large incision in my middle, (it happens occassionally, for whatever reason),do I want him to go ahead and do the bi-pass? Or, do I want him to just close it up and forget it all??? What do you all think. He says he has only lost 2 patients in 2000 to death doing the by-pass. I know this sounds morbid but it does happen with any surgeon. I did not know how to answer him at this time, I have to think about it. I am thinking that if I am already open, he might as well do a bi-pass if I cant have the band. Please..I am open for opinions here!!!!!:omg:

My personal request will be for a "sleeve" or "vertical" gastrectomy. It is sort of like a really PERMANENT lap-band, they cut out most of your stomach but leave your intestines alone.

I'm skittish about re-routing my intestines and if the lap-band surgery doesn't work out, or later if the band fails and I need additional surgery, I'm asking for the sleeve surgery as my revision.

But I'm going for the lowest-impact procedure possible now, just seems like a smart idea to try it out and hope for the best.

What should you do? I don't know. If you can handle taking Vitamins daily for life, gastric bypass DEFINATELY works for (most) people. I can't say anything bad about it, I know a lot of folks who saved their lives by having it.

The sleeve gastrectomy is sort of uncommon and I'm not sure if your doctor would have any experience with it...

You need to do a lot of internet research and talk to your doc about ALL the options on the table. Sorry if I'm not being helpful, but I can't speak for your body and wish you lots of luck.

And I wouldn't worry- the band is a safe and quick surgery. It's always good to have a plan B "just in case", but I wouldn't stress too hard about it!

Margi,

It's really hard for us to comment too much what's best for you without knowing more about your situation.

For me, I had the discussion about "going open" and what should happen.. I told him under NO circumstances was he to do anything other than a LapBand.. NO bypass, etc.. period. If things fall apart, fix the damaged parts, close me up, and then let's review the situation.

BUT, I choose that path because I am not heavy enough (in my opinion) to get a bypass.

Cascadian might have offered a nice compromise.. Perhaps research that..

Personally I would go with the LapBand for the reasons cascadian mentioned. My two best friends have both had the bypass.... one is 4 years out and on is 2 years out....... both were over 300 lbs and both lost about 120 lbs in the first year...... They both say its the best thing they ever did for themselves... BUT...

1. They both "have that look" (kind of a pale face)

2. the 4 year out friend never had the dumping syndrome and could always eat anything.. and now she has gained about 50 lbs back and is clinically depressed because she has stretched her pouch out and maybe because of her body chemicals being imbalanced...... (but the 2 year out friend just had a boob reduction and a Tummy Tuck and is feeling REALLY good, she's calling herself spongebob square boobs right now..) LOL

3. The band IS reversible and it something happens down the road that would FORCE a removal... ANY general surgeon could remove it and all my parts would still be intact... once you go with the bypass.. there is NO going back, once you stretch your pouch.. you are screwed and like my 4 year out friend ... she is now thinking of getting a band OVER the RNY

I'm confused as to why needing to the large incision (open surgery) would mean he can't do the band? I have heard of them needing to do open surgery for whatever reason once they get in and can see things, but I haven't heard of the idea that they need to do open surgery means that you can't have a band at all...

If I was told I could not have a lap bad, I would probably also opt for the sleeve, like was mentioned above.