Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did my Port move?

Okay, I have a question. I was banded May 25 of this year and after the surgery did not or could not find my port. Now, nearing three months after surgery I can suddenly feel the port it feels like a nub just above the incision. Initially, when I had my first fill I could of sworn it was below that particular incision. Did it move? Or am I going nuts? Does anyone else out there have the same experience?

I'm glad you are asking this question, because I was thinking the same thing. When my doctor is accessing my port he is always accessing the port below my waist but when I sit or stand up, I feel the port in the middle of my mid section - above the waist. I am curious to see what everyone has to say to your question.

Any chance you've lost inches in the measurement nearest your port? Most of the time, people notice the port because there is less fat there. Sometimes, when people get very near goal, they even consider having the port replaced because it starts being in the way...you know...it shows when they wear their teeny bikinis.

my port sutures ripped? from my muscle and turned to the side. i didn't feel it or know it until i went for my first fill and he couldn't get in. after fluoro, we found out why....not sure what happened but think it could have been my huge dogs jumping all over me after i got out of the hospital?? went into surgery under a local and they fixed me right up.....

Sometimes when I'm lying down I think my port moves. I have to stand up and kinda wiggle around till I feel ok again. I asked my surgeon and she said its stitched in there. But yes, sometimes I really think it has moved.

I have proof ports move! My port moved and the tubing slipped right out of the incision. I'm the famous one that walked around for a week with an open incision with a loop sticking out, so yes, it can move around. They had to remove my port 6/17 but I'm not healed yet. It's going to be many months before I can get a new port, so I can't have another fill till then. They gave me a 1.8 fill right before removing my port, so I'm milking it to death!

Thanks everybody. It really helps to hear other people having the same experiences. Yes I have lost inches and weight but not that much so I don't think it is that. Going in for my third fill tomorrow so we shall see what the surgeon says...thanks again everyone it was driving me nuts....LOL:D

Hi Abundant,

My original port moved as well. My doc thinks it is because of my regular gym schedule. I work Abs pretty regularly and she thinks that I the ab muscle development caused my port to turn slightly on its side. It wasn't flipped and was still secured to the muscle at all 4 locations, but the best way for her to access it was when I layed on my side vs. my back or sitting up... Believe me, we tried all locations and even under floro it was tough finding the exact point of entry.

I have a new band now (due to a leak) and my doc moved my port to a new location, I will have to wait another 4 weeks before my first fill, so we will see if this new location makes for easier access.

I've heard that it's pretty common for a port to move. Once you lose weight, everything adjusts. Then again, maybe the port just seems to be moving because our bodies are shifting in so many ways. The reason I say this is because my scars have all moved. Right after surgery I had five incisions spread all over my belly. Now that I've lost 45 pounds, all my scars are really close together. My husband asked me if I was melting!