Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Were you fat as a kid?

I was a chubby baby, a portly toddler, a jumbo child, then a huge adolescent, finally a giant teenager and ended up at 425lbs at the age of 20.

I've NEVER been skinny a day in my life.

A coworker who was really excited about my banding was saying, "I wonder what you'll look like?"

And I told him we just won't know until I get there...

So that's really scary, actually. I've never been under 290 as an adult...

How about all of you? Were you ever skinny as an adult? Or were you fat since childhood?

Hi, I was an average sized baby, a thin child, and I didn't start having problems with my weight until I was about 15. I had my gall bladder removed at that time and have struggled with my weight ever since. I am done 4 kilograms since being banded 2+ weeks ago. Susannah

Born a normal weight, I started gaining quickly and was well over 100 lbs in 2nd grade. Now that I have a 3rd grader of my own (who weighs about 85 lbs), I know how unusually large that was. I was (am) also tall, so I thought I looked "normal" but I was definitely one of the big kids. That's when the diets began, and from there I just kept gaining. In junior high school I was well over 200 lbs and never went back.

I was born premature and was underweight as a kid. Average/lean (athelete) in school. Consistenyl gained about 10 lbs when sports weren't in season, and lost them as soon as they were. Started gaining in college after I was no longer able to play sports (accident).

Had a hard time keeping weight off. Hit about 60 - 80lbs overweight and put myself on a strict self-prescribed diet & exercise plan, lost all the weight in about 5 months. Maintained the loss for about 6 months (about 9 years ago), then started gaining and never really stopped. Brief stint with Atkins brought me down to about 290, then over the next year I ballooned up to my high weight.

10 pounds at birth, chubby toddler, chubbier child, teen, I was thin for about 5 minutes when I starved myself and abused laxitives in my late teens/early 20's. Got heavier and heavier, I feel AWESOME minus 55 pounds and am gonna feel awesomer with 45 more gone....

I was a normal sized baby and child. As a teen and into college I was always "thicker" than my peers and FELT very fat. But, when I look at photos, I can't imagine why I felt that way as I was normal size. I gained the "Freshman 15"(or 25!)in college. I really got big in my early 20s during a bad relationship. I ditched him and lost the weight, but it came back and went away numerous times with various diets until now! I hope this time it's gone for good..........

Cascadian, I am the female version of you. Weighed nearly 9 pounds at birth, 85 pounds by the age of eight and 218 in high school. My highest was 440 and I dieted down to 195. I started regaining and was 351 when I had my surgery. I do know that people did not know me when I went from 440 to 195 so it should be interesting to see what happens this time.

No, not really.

I was heavier than other kids, but much taller too. I got teased for being fat but I was never really overweight or obese, just not skin and bones like kids tend to be.

I was just "not skinny" enough to be the odd one out. I wasnt one of the popular, pretty ones but then again I couldnt give a flying f..k about that anyhow. I always thought they were bimbos anyway.

My kids are the same - not overweight but they're not skinny either. Not the most popular but not dorks. Its a good way to be but I reckon they all (the oldest in particular) have the potential to get fat in adulthood.

I never got seriously fat until after my second baby, once I hit my 30's.

According to the pictures I've seen, I was pretty average growing up. According to my mom, I was always fat. I remember weighing just over 100 lbs in 6th grade and being teased by the other kids when they found out, I had also already developed and began my TOM at 10 1/2.

Now, I am a 6th grade teacher, and all of that is pretty average, but both of my sisters were tiny little things. So, my mom thought I was way overweight and let my know all the time that she thought so, still does.

But, I didnt REALLY become overweight until after I got divorced and was miserable in my very early 20's right after my daughter was born. I spent a short time over weight when I was 15, but was able to diet (used the old dexatrim that actually did something, although it was full of caffine and made me really hyper).

I became really overweight when I just decided that I shouldn't have to worry about it anymore. So, about the time I turned 30. Although, I have always believed I needed to lose weight (I blame my mother.)

I was always chubby (and teased for it) until I hit Jr. High and shot up like 5 inches to my current 5'9" frame. The boys liked me for the first time ever. I think I was around a size 9 in 7th grade. But by 9th grade I was chubby again, well, at a size 14, and the boys stopped liking me. Right now I'm about as skinny as I've ever been, really, and it's weird to have the boys liking you again. I swear I'm dating retarded. At least I have some guy friends now who can give me advice on this whole messy issue.

I prefer to say I was pleasantly plump or big boned as a child :( . Hated when Mom took me clothes shopping as a young lad in the huskies section LOL. As I hit my teen years I was always big but never had a problem with the ladies though and never realy have had the problem. Yeah there were sometimes certain ones didnt work out and I knew what the reason was but generaly I did well in that area. Like 6 years ago I went from 360 all the way down to 230 and busted my hump to get there. That lasted a whole year :) , I must say it was a damn great year though LOL. I think all the clubbing and drinking is what put the weight back on. Since 2003 till 2 years ago I floated around 340 untill I quit smoking and bam tack another 30 on to me now:faint:. But like my Doc says I would rather you gain 30 lbs then still be smoking. Man I cant wait to get the Band !

I was downright skinny until I hit Puberty ( or puberty hit me!) Ive struggled ever since! ( I'm 44 now)

I was pretty much just average until the summer before 6th grade. That summer I decided I would rather stay in the hosue and read instead of going out to play. Well I ballooned up and never went back down. I was pretty lucky though, because even though I was very over wieght (probably about 220 in high school) I was never really treated that differently. I played sports and I was pretty much able to keep up with all the thin girls. I never really dated, though I did have one boyfriend who was into fat girls (wierd I know) and that is probaly the only reason I had a boyfriend. Funny how in high school I really thought it was kinda bad but looking back now really I had it pretty good.

As a child, I was always taller and bigger than the other kids. I can remember being a flower girl in my Aunt's wedding when I was 8 yrs old and not being able to wear the cutsie dresses in the girl sizes. I ended up getting a dress from the misses dept. I felt extremely fat in high school, but now when I look at old high school pictures I think I looked thin. Unfortunately, Being 5'9" and size 14 in high school is considered FAT! I would be happy if I wore a size 14 now!!!