Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions - Sleeve vs. Bypass

I have so many questions and I hope someone can give me some help. I know that they tell you not to get online and read; but everyone on here is a real person and I want real stories; whether good or bad. I am in the pre-op stage; I have lost 25lbs since the end of January. I was thinking the by pass orginally, then someone suggested the band, but decided I did not want a foreign object in my body. (OH BTW I am 29, full hyseterecomy, no health problems, 248, and 5'4", family health: high blood pressure, heart problems, overweight) OK so then I went with the sleeve, because I had heard good things about it. Then I went to my first support group last night, and then completely started re-thinking everything. I keep going back to the by-pass surgery. Everyone in the room last night, suggested by-pass surgery. I just am confused, and figured someone might could help. I am waiting to see what my doctor is going to recommend.

Thanks,

Ashley

I totally say by-pass... I was in ur same boat.. I wanted the band but after talking 2 my md.. if anything goes wrong u will need 2 get yhe by-pass I didn't want 2 fight with my insurance so the week b4 my surgey in my preop visit I changed my mind and went with the by-pass and I do not have any regret about what I chose. O would chose it again if I had 2..... I live in Pittsburgh pa and they don't even do it any more cause that and the sleeve so many people fail it and they need the by-pass anyway. I also work in the medical field and I see the bad. But I would do iy all over again if I had 2... I wish I the best of luck in whatever u chose. ...

With the bypass you will loss more weight than the sleeve or band. I wanted the procedure that was going to give me the best results and that was the bypass.

My surgeon suggested bypass because I had reflux and I never argued my way out of it as he is the expert. However I did a looooot of research and just as Rabear mentions, there are many cases in which they have to go from lapband or sleeve to bypass, which made me think by-pass was the smartest decision. Also bypass has been performed for more than 36 years so all the side effects and long terms risks have been studied for a longer time.

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate y'all taking the time to respond. It is hard decision; I know something needs to be done; and dropped the weight is my main goal! I think the by-pass is the best; because the more I read; the more I am coming back to it. Thanks!! :)

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate y'all taking the time to respond. It is hard decision; I know something needs to be done; and dropped the weight is my main goal! I think the by-pass is the best; because the more I read; the more I am coming back to it. Thanks!! :)

I was in the same boat as you. But I have had the band and wished I had done the research. Band slipped after three years and will be removed in May. For the past weeks I have been doing research on the bypass and sleeve. Finally I happened on two sites, one the mayo Clinic and then went to WebMD. (I should state my doctor gave me the option of the two but I asked which he would recommend and it was the bypass.) WebMD will give the pros and cons of all three and that is what made my decision after reading them. Also even though my doctor said my band had slipped and had to come out, he did not even mention that a new one be put in even though he does lap band surgeries.

My surgeon suggested bypass because I had reflux and I never argued my way out of it as he is the expert. However I did a looooot of research and just as Rabear mentions' date=' there are many cases in which they have to go from lapband or sleeve to bypass, which made me think by-pass was the smartest decision. Also bypass has been performed for more than 36 years so all the side effects and long terms risks have been studied for a longer time. [/quote']

Its true! Had constant heartburn before surgery. And I haven't had any since!

With the bypass you will loss more weight than the sleeve or band. I wanted the procedure that was going to give me the best results and that was the bypass.

U will loose 80% of ur excess body weight with the by-pass. And only 40-50 with a band and 60 with the sleeve. The thing that makes the by-pass so successful is that u don't have the first half of ur small intestine, and that is where everything is obsorbed. With the band and sleeve u do have it.

Thanks everyone! I think the bypass is better: I want to loss the weight. I want to keep the weight off and I think the bypass is a better tool! I am glad to read what everyone had to say! Thank you!

I was in the same boat as you. But I have had the band and wished I had done the research. Band slipped after three years and will be removed in May. For the past weeks I have been doing research on the bypass and sleeve. Finally I happened on two sites, one the mayo Clinic and then went to WebMD. (I should state my doctor gave me the option of the two but I asked which he would recommend and it was the bypass.) WebMD will give the pros and cons of all three and that is what made my decision after reading them. Also even though my doctor said my band had slipped and had to come out, he did not even mention that a new one be put in even though he does lap band surgeries.

I decided no on the band within 10 minutes of reading about it; I didn't want a foreign object in my body! I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide.

I decided no on the band within 10 minutes of reading about it; I didn't want a foreign object in my body! I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide.

I had sleeve may 2012 lost 94 lbs but constant pain when liquid or food hits stomach dr is doing bypass may3

I had sleeve may 2012 lost 94 lbs but constant pain when liquid or food hits stomach dr is doing bypass may3

Thank you Sazzygirl; that is what I needed to hear! Someone who had done the sleeve and had problems and changing to the bypass. I am so sorry that you are having problems; but it helps me to decide. I hope that everything works out. Good luck on your surgery! Please keep me updated!! :)

I too researched the sleeve vs bypass. I have chosen bypass for several reasons but the biggest is because my acid reflux is so bad and I won't have that with the bypass. Also I have a lot of weight to lose and think I will have more success with the bypass

I have sensed some division between the sleeve and rny patients too. I haven't had surgery yet but after research I have settled on the bypass cause I have PCOS and insulin resistance. On other sleeve forums I been on they do talk down about the bypass saying that the pouch will stretch out and you will lose restriction over time and that the sleeve won't do that cause it's formed from the non stretchy part of the stomach. In my option both surgeries can be successful it just depends on how you rock your weightloss journey. It doesn't matter which surgery you pick we are all bariatric patients and we should support each other, period!