Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vomitting and the D word...

Ok so on tuesday i was feeling good. I wasnt hungry, went to th gym and worked out for an hour. I had a lean body shake and started to feel a little nausiated so I stopped and drank Water. I felt better. I has a yogaurt which ent down wel, and a string cheese which also went down well. I had sweet potato puree and was fine. I ate supper at 6pm... a veggie berger and some tater tots (i know tater tots is a no no I only had 9) 4 hours later I started to feel nausiated, then my body tried to vomit..4 times...only thing that came out was Water. :sick Then the other end started working full force and had the D word. Yesterday I had more of the same. The nurse at the Surgeons ofice said it might be a virus and just take clears and gatoraide. Tody I am a bit nausiated, and still run to the bathroom every hour(the runs) and sticking to gatoraide. My tummy is rumbling for food but I am afraid to eat anything. I think I will stick to clears. I have pain in my left side which I expect is from the surgery, and may have pulled a muscle while vomitting. I took childrens tylenol for the pain as well. Is there a possibility of slippage or something stuck? I am able to keep down the gatorade though i am taking small sips at a time.

any help would be appreciated

----pooh---

That definitely sounds like you have a tummy bug, not a band related blockage.

Vomiting isnt good for your band and there's always the possibility of causing some damage, but chances are you're fine, take it easy when you do eat, and if you have pain, loss of restriction, increased restriction beyond maybe some swelling, any strange things like that, then follow up with your doc.

But really, its repeated PBing and vomiting that is problematic, a once off is probably nothing to get too worked up about. I'm sorry you're sick though, hope you feel better very soon.

Try sipping on peppermint tea it should help the nausea. How long have you been banded? If you are more than 6 weeks out one vomit session shouldn't hurt the band, but if you are still healing I would ask the surgeon, just in case.

chamomile or ginger tea is better choice than peppermint for stomach ills in general. Mint is okay on occasion but shouldn't be used regularily. Mint can actually irriate the stomach and cause GERD, especially over time, even though it soothes initially. What happens is that mint causes the esophogial valve to loosen, to relax, and the incidence of gerd increases. This can lead to a viscious cycle- upset tummy, have some mint, upset tummy, more mint, more upset, even more mint, etc. My gastro at mayo told me that. I was sad, I like mint but its now on that no list for me along with caffeine.