Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A few post-op questions

Hi everyone,

This is my first post! I have checked all the boxes on my pre-op checklist and just need to meet with the nutritionist to schedule!

First question: I've been told I'll likely throw up "a lot" at first after surgery. Is it horrible and is it one of those "I need to run to the toilet" kind of deals or do you know it's coming? Also, (and I know everyone's experiences are different), how long does this period last?

Second: I study from home. How many days post-op would I be able to sit at my desk for about 4 hours per day (in one stretch due to my daughter's school schedule)? And would I be getting up every 2 minutes to throw up?

Third (okay I lied, lol): I have a really high pain tolerance. I had 3 golf ball-sized gall stones for two years and I just thought it was gas lol! I understand this is a different type of surgery, but my daughter was 18 months at the time and I FELT able to lift her the same day. How long do you guys think my husband will need to help me around the house?

Thanks for any and all info!

Hi everyone' date='

This is my first post! I have checked all the boxes on my pre-op checklist and just need to meet with the nutritionist to schedule!

First question: I've been told I'll likely throw up "a lot" at first after surgery. Is it horrible and is it one of those "I need to run to the toilet" kind of deals or do you know it's coming? Also, (and I know everyone's experiences are different), how long does this period last?

Second: I study from home. How many days post-op would I be able to sit at my desk for about 4 hours per day (in one stretch due to my daughter's school schedule)? And would I be getting up every 2 minutes to throw up?

Third (okay I lied, lol): I have a really high pain tolerance. I had 3 golf ball-sized gall stones for two years and I just thought it was gas lol! I understand this is a different type of surgery, but my daughter was 18 months at the time and I FELT able to lift her the same day. How long do you guys think my husband will need to help me around the house?

[/quote']

I am two weeks post op and have not thrown up. I had a major knee surgery and breast surgery. I have to say the gas after surgery was horrible. Pain meds didnt even touch it. but after the first two days the pain was not bad. Since I have been home I haven't taken any pain meds.. My husband stayed home the day after I got home from the hospital then went back to work. But my kids are in high school and college so I dont have little ones. This is a big surgery and I was told not to pick up more then 10 pounds. Everyone is different.

Hi everyone' date='

[/quote']

You may want to post the post op board.

Thank you! I remember the gas being HORRIBLE after my gallbladder surgery and I'm preparing for the worst after this one.

You may want to post the post op board.

DUH. Thank you!

Thank you! I remember the gas being HORRIBLE after my gallbladder surgery and I'm preparing for the worst after this one.

Well I think the gas was the worse for me. I would think with the gallbladder gas would be the same. but for me that only last about two days. You will do great. Do you have a surgery date yet?

Well I think the gas was the worse for me. I would think with the gallbladder gas would be the same. but for me that only last about two days. You will do great. Do you have a surgery date yet?

No, but I have the nutritionist appt set for April 1, have done the psych eval, the TSH test and that's really all they need! Once I get my tax refund back (any day now), I'll be able to pay the deductible and schedule. It's frustrating bc I have a 3-week break starting on Friday and really want to have it done during this break as opposed to waiting until June. I graduate at the end of this year and really want as much weight off as possible but also want time to get into my routine. I REALLY don't to wait until June but I understand it's not in my hands.

I did not have gas pain from my gall bladder surgery, nor when i had my ovaries and cysts removed. But when they took my uterus out holy balls i thought i was dying it hurt so bad. I swear she did not try to suck most of it out after my procedure. All the other ones did a great job.

Jessie

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using RNYTalk