Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone in Oregon??

Has anyone found any support groups in the Portland area? I am having a hard time. I'm getting banded in 11 days! I'm scared, nervous, apprehensive, and would love to get together with some people that have had this done. Any suggestions??

I'm heading into my intro appointments with Oregon Weight Loss Surgery doctors. Has anyone heared good or mad things about them? When I went to the educational seminar they seemed really nice and friendly, but when I was trying to make my appointments they seemed rude and hurried. Any thoughts?

Thanks!:)

Well I'm finally back, went to Mexico and got banded by Dr. Rumbaut, it wasn't quite as easy as I thought it would be, but I'm glad I did it. I'm still on a liquid diet, getting ready to start soft (mushy) foods tomorrow! I can't wait!! I haven't heard anything about the Oregon doctors, I didn't even check any here since I had to self pay. I just went to Mexico since it was half the price of here. Wow, I can't believe there aren't more people in Oregon that come to this website. I really would love to go to a support group nearby. I'm going to call Dr. Hongs office and check that out, thanks!!:o

Hi, I'm Diney and I'm researching being banded in Tijuana Mexico by dr. verboonen. I'm self employed and don't have insurance. I was quoted $7,500.00 including everything with 1 night hospital stay and 2 night hotel stay. Does anyone know anything about him. I'm nervous and excited, but mainly nervous.

Hi Diney, I have never heard of this Doc or his work when looking for my own Dr. I did here of Dr. Kuri in TJ MEXICO,:clap2: and found out he is one of the best Dr's around...He charges $8,900 for every thing, like pick up at airport and back ,hospital room for two, hotel for two for up to 2 nights, and free fills, and new hospital with a great staff..I live in Sutherlin, Or neer Roseburg and I'm very happy that I went to Dr. Kuri...:clap2: Good luck !!

I had my surgery with another Dr. in Portland, and he's since left working with gastric patients. I was referred to Oregon Weight Loss Surgery and have not had very good luck. They just seem to dismiss my issues and lost my transferred paperwork twice. I sat in their waiting room on two occasions for more than 2 hours! I'm searching for a new fill person and would love any suggestions.

Hi Organizer31, I went to Dr. Kelly Fitzpatrick for my first fill, she has an office in Portland and Eugene.. She was fast and good !! www.gastricband.com $180 for first fill and $165 there after..

Ack

She raised her prices..

lol

She is still the best deal around!

I need an unfill terribly bad.. but no monies.. lol

Hi all,

WTG! Nykee on your weight loss. I am scheduling with Dr. Ortiz for mid-May. I was wondering how much you were required to lose on your pre-op diet? That is what concerns me alot.

Also, I want to get my first fill with Dr. Ortiz and then go to Dr. Fitzpatrick after that. I bought Dr. Ortiz book, Lap Band for Life and it has so much great information in it.

Peace,

Judy

luv2bingo07---Hi! I did exactly the same thing! I had Dr. Ortiz put my band in late August of last year, then went down to Ortiz again for my first fill. I wanted to do my first fill with him because he does it with the fluroscope and I wanted to be sure everything looked good. They gave me a 1.6 fill in October; it didn't do much. I went to Dr. Fitzpatrick in December and she gave me a REALLY good fill!! She was nice and it was relatively painless. She had a bit of a hard time finding my port because of my weight, but once she did it wasn't bad!

They wanted me to lose 15 pounds, but I only lost 10 pounds. I think they just want to shrink the fat a little to make it easier to insert the band. I did the Slimfast thing for a week before going--it wasn't too bad.

Good luck with everything--I think you have chosen a great doc!!

luv2bingo07---Hi! I did exactly the same thing! I had Dr. Ortiz put my band in late August of last year, then went down to Ortiz again for my first fill. I wanted to do my first fill with him because he does it with the fluroscope and I wanted to be sure everything looked good. They gave me a 1.6 fill in October; it didn't do much. I went to Dr. Fitzpatrick in December and she gave me a REALLY good fill!! She was nice and it was relatively painless. She had a bit of a hard time finding my port because of my weight, but once she did it wasn't bad!

They wanted me to lose 15 pounds, but I only lost 10 pounds. I think they just want to shrink the fat a little to make it easier to insert the band. I did the Slimfast thing for a week before going--it wasn't too bad.

Good luck with everything--I think you have chosen a great doc!!

Congrats trizzy on your surgery and weight loss! You seem to be doing great. So you have had two fills since surgery? Did you have any co-morbidities before your surgery? Where in Oregon are you? I am in Portland. I want to go for my first fill with Dr. Ortiz or I think it would be Dr. Romero, b/c like you, I want to make sure everything looked good and is staying in place. I have Dr. Ortiz book, Lap Band for Life. It is awesome and has so much information in it to live with your band to best results you can. It also says that when you have your first fill, they try to give a bigger fill than most docs so you have restriction right away and longer so you drop the weight quicker and better, but that doesn't always work.

Did you make a pre-op appt. with Dr. Fitzpatrick before going for surgery just so you get to know her and also get info you will need during the process? My primary doc recommended I should, but I think I will just call her or email her.

Thanks again,

Judy

Hey bingo--

I didn't have any co-morbidities, I was borderline diabetic, but they were sure with weight loss it would go away--which it has. I didn't make a pre-op with Dr. Fitzpatrick--I had heard good things about her on here, so I just went ahead and made an appt. I tried to make one for November, but she had just been up to Portland and wouldn't be up again til December when I got my fill. So--make sure you call a month in advance before getting your next fill.

Dr. Fitzpatrick said that she usually does a 1.5-2.0 fill for the first time, so Ortiz's office did good with that. I felt a little restriction in the am with the first fill, and maybe lost another 10 pounds. After the second fill, I found out what restriction was all about!

I live in Milwaukie; SE of Portland---if you have any more questions--don't hesitate to ask--and I'll try to answer them if I can! :)

Hi trizzy,

Thanks for the info. So are you at your sweet spot yet and continuing to lose? I feel alot better about going to Dr. Fitzpatrick now. I will probably go to her after my first fill if I can afford going back to TJ.

How was your trip across the border? I was told that your only need your US identification if you are driving over the border. I just want to make sure, so there is no stress with delays and whatever. Also, did you shop at all? And did you have to claim anything or pay duty coming back over the border?

Thanks again,

Judy

Hi all,

WTG! Nykee on your weight loss. I am scheduling with Dr. Ortiz for mid-May. I was wondering how much you were required to lose on your pre-op diet? That is what concerns me alot.

Also, I want to get my first fill with Dr. Ortiz and then go to Dr. Fitzpatrick after that. I bought Dr. Ortiz book, Lap Band for Life and it has so much great information in it.

Peace,

Judy

I was told 40 to 60 pounds, only 1.5 months from my surgery date. I lost 41 on one month, staying under 20 carbs a day. THAT totally works, I know cuz it happened to me.

and the fills from ORTIZ are SUPERIOUR in many ways. But its too hard and expensive for me to get down there.

Hi Bingo--

I think I am at my sweet spot--although to keep up the weight loss I may need to go in this summer and get a SMALL fill--I am going to wait until then to decide!

The trip back across the border was fine! They let us stay in the van, and one of the patrols came out and checked our ID's. This was before the passport requirement took effect--so I don't know if you'll need a passport or not. After the fill trip we had to get out, cross the border on foot, and then get back in the van.

I went shopping the next day after surgery! We went to the tourist part of TJ and walked along the sidewalk, looking and buying...it was fun. I, of course, tired out earlier than I usually would have, but it was amazing to be walking the day after surgery! We only bought things for our kids, so we didn't pay any duty or anything. I'm not sure on what/how they do that.

Do you have an exact date on your surgery? Are you flying down or driving down? Is there someone going with you? It helped me to have my husand there---but a lot of people went down solo.

Have a great day!