Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 60. Anyone else over 50 doing RNY?

5 monthes is great. How much have you lost? Any problems? How much food are you able to eat at this point?

I had my surgery on Dec.26 and I'll be 64 in Feb. I haven't had this much energy since I was 10 and within the first 2 weeks, I was taken off of my diabetes medication. I feel absolutely incredible! I've had no issues at all. I sometimes wondered if I even had the surgery. If your doctor says it's alright go for it. I feel at least 15 years younger!

5 monthes is great. How much have you lost? Any problems? How much food are you able to eat at this point?

I have lost 79# n now I'm fine beside 2 foods that make Me sick ( hamburger, spaghetti)

I had a rough go. they tried to do my surgery laparoscopic but was unsuccessful and I had to be a open cut. I had so much cartouche you from other surgeries and I was in surgery seven n half hours. but now everything is good.

I still have a problem with head hunger, ill eat to much n then i vomit. I did good but lately I've did that 3x in 2 wks. :(( I'm not happy annoy.. I seem to be able to eat more than some people I've known, which scares me. its nothing like I used to eat thank goodness. I can eat a whole sandwich or a piece of meat and maybe 2 tablespoons 3 different vegetables.

Do you eat less than this?

I have a lot of back trouble and knee trouble so exercise is not a big option for me. Even tho I'm in pain i try to do a very little, but its better than none..

U have any other info for me?. It always helps to talk to someone who has had it, even tho everybody is different.

God bless you.

OH, I can relate to head hunger! I still have it and am still surprised when I can only eat a tiny amount. How much can I eat? Well, 3/4 cup Rice Crispies with milk fills me up. My lunch was 3 crackers with cheese cubes and 1/2 tsp of cherry preserves on top and that filled me up fine. I basically snack all day, and sometimes, half the night. Tiny amounts. Its a pain because I live alone, and why bother to cook something I'll never finish? Also, I recently had 11 teeth pulled and am waiting for the partial to be ready...it hurts to chew and I cant anyway right now.......Im sick of soft foods! The partial wont be ready for 5 monthes. The temporaries are terribly uncomfortable at the present so I don't bother wearing them. Oh, the joys of getting old!

One thing that's bothered me is that I became thin at age 54, and by then, my body had started to age. For two years (before my health went South-) I excercised like crazy and looked real, real good for the first time in my life. I got the "Butterfly Syndrome"....allI wanted to do was dress up, go out and dance and flirt with men. This got me into some trouble, because Id never learned, really, social skills about dating, and how to know if a man is "okay." Ive since read that this is common with us, but it kinda shocked me. My biggest mistake was one night I went to a bar after work at 11:30 and somehow decided to drink 3 glasses of wine fast. By the time I was leaving I was tanked but got behind the wheel anyway. 1/4 mile later I dumped, and basically passed out - not from booze but from dumping syndrome. I wrecked my car and got a DUI, which in my state is a big deal. I spent the night in jail. OIY VEY....such remorse after this! It was a truly horrible experience and one I would never want to repeat. (And I haven't!)

Funny, hamburger makes me sick now, too. Spaghetti I can do, if I don't use too much meat. I also cant tolerate spicy foods but I never could.

I wish like heck I could really exercise. But my bad leg prevents anything but walking and swimming and I don't have a pool, and dislike the ocean. (Go figure, a woman who doesn't like the beach ends up in Florida!) But I started walking again, after bursitis laid me up. I don't walk too far, my longest walk was 1.5 miles but for me, that's a lot and I was proud. Today I did 1/2 mile and was tired. I do stay active around my apartment, cleaning, etc. I movedinto an apartment 5 months ago after owning my own houses for years. It was quite an adjustment for me. And my new place was filthy and gross and I had to scrub like mad to get it clean. But I did it, and the places looks pretty good now. This is also a new town for me; I wanted a "clean sweep", a new deal, and I got it. Luckily, I get along with my immediate neighbors and am friends with one of them.

What do you take for the pain??? How bad is it?

Last night I got wicked cramps in both legs.....reminded me to take the darn calcium citrate.

I had my RNY on December 10th 2014, ten days before my 59th birthday.

I am 57, had my surgery in 2013. Have lost 115 lbs, have more energy now that I had in my younger days. Did not have any problems, everything went smooth. There is nothing I can't eat. No meats bother me, I am one of those sugar doesn't bother, but I treat it like it does. The only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. I do have a bad hip so most exercise is a no-no for me so I walk, I do a lot of Water walking (summer in my pool, winter YMCA) and it still works. And I walk until it hurts to bad. I love my life, follow your Drs plan, get your blood work. And remember this is not a diet, but a new way of life. It is just a tool, how you use it is up to you.

I am 52 and had RNY surgery 5/27/14. I did very well after surgery and continue to do well. I'm down 70# since surgery, 95# since I began my journey in Nov 2013. I couldn't be happier with my decision to have surgery and the results. Best of luck to you!

I am 49 and just had it 5 weeks ago.

57 and 10 months post-op RNY. Have lost 115.

I am 55 and had my surgery on Nov 18. Definitely walk all you can and then start with weights. I am at a stall 10 weeks post, but still working out. I am hoping things will change soon. My first grand child will arrive in April and I can't wait to do things with her. My only regret is that I didn't do this earlier.

I had my surgery on May 5th, 2014 and turned 60 on August 8th. Having surgery was my 60 th birthday present to myself ! I decided it was time to get healthy to keep up with my two year old grandson and to get rid of the multiple medications I was on. I left the hospital off of my Diabetes medication. I am off of three out of five high blood pressure medications and off of my cholesterol medication. I was under a kidney doctor's care prior to surgery but have bee released because my numbers are doing so well ! I love shopping for smaller sizes and the compliments that I receive. I would recommend the surgery to anyone who is thinking of having it done.

I'm 59 and had surgery on January 13th.

I was 66 when I had surgery 3 months ago. I am 67 now. I have done great & feel great! Reduced/eliminated 5 meds & hope to be off more! I've lost 37 of the 60 # I need to lose. I am walking between 3 -4 miles per day. I am a very bad diabetic & have improved tremendously!!! Don't let age keep you from this if you need it!!!