Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 60. Anyone else over 50 doing RNY?

Thanks' date=' you just add them to like a purchased vanilla Protein Drink or make one yourself. What flavor do you like the best?[/quote']

To vanilla base, my favorite is adding Irish cream, Kailua and almond together equal parts. Tastes like a Mudslide. I also like cherry for cherry vanilla.

To chocolate base, my favorite is adding Hazelnut, close second is raspberry.

Molly 10/2

Thanks Molly,

Since this is new, I am so happy to hear how other people are handling their shakes since it will be my main source for quite a few weeks.

Thanks Molly' date=' Since this is new, I am so happy to hear how other people are handling their shakes since it will be my main source for quite a few weeks.[/quote']

I also have a The Bariatric Foodies Guide to a Protein Shakes for more inspiration. I haven't tried any of the recipes from this book, yet.

Molly 10/2/13

I will be 50 October 11, 2014 and I hope to have my GB in April!

I will be 50 October 11, 2014 and I hope to have my GB in April!

I will b 50 in march n.my surgery was aug. 6th 2013. N I've done really.i had a rough start but I'm fine now I'm down almost 80lbs :)

I am 64 and had RNY bypass on Nov 18 '13.... Feeling great, surgery was really not bad at all ( also had an umbilical repair ). No pain meds after day 2... Down 51# and 20".. Eating most all healthy foods now and working out for the first time in 40 years! Lol. Took a few weeks to get the needed fluids and Protein all in but other than that, no problems! Should of done it years ago....

I'm proud for you :))

I had my bypass at 67 last October. I did great, very little pain. I just wish I had done this years ago. I feel so much better now.

I'm so happy for yall.

I will be 64 in a couple weeks. Had the RNY at age 53. Ive had a bunch of "normal" problems in the years post op such as kidney stones, severe osteoporosis, low blood Calcium and other things. Yes, I lost weight and kept it off, in fact, I became VERY think for several years. Dangerously thin. Now Im normal weight. I have had doubts about whether I should have done this radical surgery. But I was morbidly obese (292 lbs at 5'4") and doubt a lesser surgery would have worked. By the way, I followed dietary rules and took proper supplements since having the surgery. My surgeon no longer practices and no other surgeon will see a patient he/she didn't do the surgery on so Ive been on my own for years. Most medical doctors know doodlysquat about WLS. Im an RN of many years and trust me, I do know. Why write here? I know I risk scaring newbies but I too need support. Im looking for similar people, old timers who have had some problems. I need to know how they manage, cope, survive and thrive. Thanks.

PS I just noticed...I originally joined this forum when I WAS super thin! I now weigh 126!!!

Edited by savannalady

I'm 55 and surgery date is 2/5. I look forward to many thin healthy years ahead.

I'm a young 64 and had RNY on Nov 18th... Best journey I have EVER been on... Surgery wasn't bad at all.. eating plan very doable and am down 52#s and 20", learning to excersise and actually almost like it! LOL OFF many meds I had been on and plan to enjoy those 10 Grandkids on the beach this year... Since I will be able to get down that low....So happy I FINALLY did this!

I'm 55 and looking forward to a healthy happy life.

I wish you all the best of luck. As someone who has suffered complications (from the lack of absorption of nutrients-) I call tell you this: take those supplements religiously and eat as well as you can. Even though I did this, I have several serious complications, but you can minimize your chances of this happening. And exercise!

Im out 11 years but the complications started showing up at about 5 years. Get your blood work done every 6 monthes,no matter what your doctor says. And, by the way, always check with the Bariatric Community about what your doctor says, because they sometimes are not up to date. As an RN of 32 years I can tell you for certain that most doctors simply don't have time to read all the journals to keep fully up to date, But the Bariatric Community DOES.

Ty you for the info. As being a nurse to i agree with you. I'm only 5mth out n so far so good.