Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why RNY and not the sleeve?

I researched both and found that there is a greater weight loss and higher success rate with RNY. That is why I chose RNY over the sleeve. But I am sure you will do fine in whatever you chose. Good Luck. :)

I researched both and found that there is a greater weight loss and higher success rate with RNY. That is why I chose RNY over the sleeve. But I am sure you will do fine in whatever you chose. Good Luck. :)

That was a deciding factor for m too. Also with the silastic ring I'm getting, there is less chance of weight regain. A lot of people regain because they lose the full feeling or stretch out their pouch or new stomach. The ring helps prevent that

I have a cousin that got the sleeve. She has lost 80 pounds and that is amazing... she is still extremely overweight. My doc feels the RNY is best for me and I trust him. he helped me decide after lap band failure.

Good Luck! :)

The deciding factor for me was that there aren't really any long term results recorded yet because its still so new.

My Doctor doesn't do the sleeve much because she said that there's always a risk because they take out the peice of your stomach thats not being used. With RNY they leave it, so if it's ever needed for anything, its there. Also, the stats are better for rny.

I do not have a ton to lose, (about 100lbs) but I had gerd and reflux, the sleeve is NOT good for people with those issues and in fact will exacerbate (or initiate) it. I also wanted to have the fear of dumping because I love sweets. I learned with the sleeve you can soon eat all foods with less issues than with the RNY, and it seems like people lose less and struggle more. I did a lot of research online, with my dr, and even in forums and on YouTube- watching hundreds of videos. This was the right decision for me, but it may not be for everyone.

Hopefully your surgeon will help guide you. Either way, best of luck and hope to see you on the "losers side" soon. :)

I was interested in the sleeve, but I have issues with reflux, and my Dr told me that it would get worse with the sleeve. Also there is a higher success rate with RNY. So that's why I chose to have the RNY.

I've had both done! So I can sort of speak to this:).

The sleeve did'nt cure my blood sugars although I lost 60lbs. Had revision to RNY to fix blood sugars.

I now prefer if bad things will occur if I stray from my diet.

Sugars are coming down as more weight comes off.

I'd have saved a lot of $$$ going RNY to begin with, but I thought I could control myself with small bites of sweets. I was wrong and paid for it.

I have a cousin that got the sleeve. She has lost 80 pounds and that is amazing... she is still extremely overweight. My doc feels the RNY is best for me and I trust him. he helped me decide after lap band failure.

Good Luck! :)

I had Lapland too for over 6 years, lost some weight, had it revised to Rey gastric bypass, Jan 14 th, how r u doing now?

I had both done too. I originally chose the sleeve because I didn't want to mess with absorption of nutrients and Vitamins. I haven't had children yet, and I thought pregnancy would be better with the sleeve. Sadly, my sleeve was really messed up and could not be saved, so I was converted to bypass. At this point, I don't know which I would choose if I could all over again. I'm only 6 weeks out from surgery 2 and struggling a bit. And as far as weight loss- I mean I know I had serious complications which made nutrition next to impossible for 4 and a half months, but since August I'm down almost 100 lbs and only 18 lbs from my goal. I think you can be successful with the sleeve with extra effort.

I had both done too. I originally chose the sleeve because I didn't want to mess with absorption of nutrients and Vitamins. I haven't had children yet' date=' and I thought pregnancy would be better with the sleeve. Sadly, my sleeve was really messed up and could not be saved, so I was converted to bypass. At this point, I don't know which I would choose if I could all over again. I'm only 6 weeks out from surgery 2 and struggling a bit. And as far as weight loss- I mean I know I had serious complications which made nutrition next to impossible for 4 and a half months, but since August I'm down almost 100 lbs and only 18 lbs from my goal. I think you can be successful with the sleeve with extra effort.[/quote']

What happened to your sleeve where it could not be saved?

It was twisted badly at the bottom. My second surgeon went in thinking that maybe he could redo the staple line and straighten everything out but everything was just so messed up that he had to convert me and cut my sleeve down to almost nothing. :/

I chose RNY at my surgeon's recommendation. He has done thousands of RNY's and a handful of sleeves. He said he has seen many sleeves need to be changed to RNY. Each to there own but I trust him so I'm taking his advice. Scheduled for April.

I decided to do the RNY because I have close people that i know that have done this procedure and because my doctor recommended this surgery for me. Also I've done a lot of research on it and therefore I decided that this one will be the neat for me. My surgery date is Feb 4. Yayyyy can't wait so excited yet nervous. :)

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk