Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days post-op: How do I get everything in?

Had my surgery on Friday and came home yesterday. Everything went great; was able to get down my "meals" in the hospital (crystal light, Jello and broth) with no problems. My Water intake wasn't so great. But my scars look fabulous! Still have a lot of swelling and bloating, but no real "pain".

Now that I'm home, I am trying to figure out how on earth I'm supposed to get in 64 oz. of water/liquids plus my 75 g. of Protein. All I've managed to get down today is: 1 SF Popsicle, 1 GNC Lean shake, 4 oz. of strained miso Soup, 1 SF pudding cup, and 12 oz. of water. Oh, and all my Vitamins and prescriptions. I AM SO FULL!

How does everyone do it? Please tell me it gets easier once the tummy gas and swelling goes away. (And how long does that take, anyway?)

Thanks

I'm post-op, surgery was Jan 15, and I can't have anything but Clear Liquids still till wednesday when I can introduce shakes. I can imagine how hard it is. I had 3 bites of SF Jello which got me full! I can't get in all the liquids no matter how hard I try. I do sip all day and night though. If I could gulp, I could possibly get the 64oz in lol.

Sip sip sip. One oz of Water every 10 min. You must do this as you will end up in the hospital if you don't. Don't worry about the rest at this point. Within a few days you xan start getting inv your Protein but water is crucial.

My surgery was Jan 16th and I'm having a hard time getting my Protein and Water in too. I sip all day and still just can't seem to get it all in.

This may help. When I was sent home from the hospital I have a 32oz cup and they wanted two of those down a day. Well that didn't happen and I got so dehydrated I couldn't hardly stand for more then 5 minutes without wanting to pass out. So I started drinking out of a 8oz cup and just kept tract of how many I drank. I knew I needed it to be gone in a hour. That has helped a lot and that way you don't get overwhelmed.

We can't stretch our new pouches by sipping constantly, right? Stupid but concerning question lol

Ive never gotten it all in. maybe I am a bad example, but I do what I can each day and I dont sweat it. I have bloodwork often and am in fine health. I couldnt even put away 64 oz of Water when I was pre op! I know I need to do better, but just wanted to let you know that its not certain death if you dont get it all in. be mindful of your urine. If your pee is very concentrated or not much, you need to put in more Fluid. Remember yoyr shakes count as liquid too, as do your pops.

Thanks, everyone! My pee is perfectly clear, and I do go all day. Hopefully once my swelling goes down, it will be easier.

I thought the Proteins didn't count toward the clear liquids. I will check with my doc on Thursday.

you are not alone! I can't even imagine getting 64oz of liquids in...I'm also having a hard time getting in all my vitamins...I can eat the Jello, pudding, and applesauce just fine but the Water, no way, maybe if I get some crystal light to add some flavor that would help? Thank you for this post because I'm worrying my butt off!

I was told during liquid phase that it all counts towards the 64oz. ..im on full liquids now six days post op..I think im doing ok...not great but okay

I was told during liquid phase that it all counts towards the 64oz. ..im on full liquids now six days post op..I think im doing ok...not great but okay

Awesome! Thank you so much!

My surgeon includes Protein toward Water intake but only if it see through like the Isopure (that's why I have been using those instead of protein powder). I have been able to get the liquids in by sipping ALL the time. I mix my Isopure with water and ice and just sip it constantly.

I'm 6 weeks out and I still can't get 64 oz of Water. My surgeon said to focus on liquids and staying hydrated the first two weeks and Protein will come later. Good luck and try not to stress out.

DOS 12/17/12

My bariatric nurse just called me to see how I was doing. I asked her which was more important at this point, and she said the Protein was; however, the shakes did count as liquids right now. Today was a little better. So far I've had 30 oz. of Water and a GNC Lean shake (18 oz., 25g of protein). I tried watered down Cream of Wheat - no bueno. I could feel it going down and was afraid it would get stuck, so I stopped. May try it again tomorrow.