Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Shrinking Violets -- April 07 Bandsters

Morning guys!

This morning.. the scale said.... (drumroll) 300LBS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That means.. if I had taken my clothes off, I just might have been (GASP!!) in the 200's!

I'm beside myself right now!

Mdrai- Don't worry about things right now, I was like Kity.. anytime I got bad vibes, I would rush to before & after and allow myself to think about the GOOD. I did NOT read 'complications' folder until I was post-band. I knew 110% I was doing this, and I did not need things to make me stress and worry about it. It seems like you're there now. You're ready, you've made the decision.. don't psyche yourself out or think about the bad things.. it's not worth it.

I have PB'ed a few times, and it was not a huge deal like I've heard people make out of it. It makes me paralyze in fear for a minute, no talking, no moving.. but it does go away.. Like I said before, I drink Water to 'help it along' which always makes it worse..so just don't do that!

And sliming.. sliming is from your stomach I think (maybe esophogus or throat?) producing a lot of saliva to lubricate whatever gets stuck. I've never slimed, even though I've had PBs. Maybe nothing is ever stuck long enough for me. Maybe this will change after my first fill.

But if it does.. oh well! It will be good behavior correction for me! The only times I PBed has been when I ate too fast. That's it. I PBed on pudding early on, on fried okra, and on bread. All 3 times I was eating too quick, not thinking.. and then stuck.. and then up it comes.. and I move on. I definitely slow down after that, and (with the bread) I didn't want to eat it anymore, so it kept me from eating more then 2 bites of a BK Fish sandwhich. YAY FOR THAT! I think it's good that all the WLS have some form of 'punishment'. Otherwise, to me, it would be like any other diet. You cheat here and there and go oh well.. and then it snowballs. With the band, if you do something you shouldn't (eat too fast, too big of bites, foods that don't go down well for you), it will 'punish' you and you'll be sure not to do that again anytime soon :)

My hubby and I went fishing today - I was tired of sitting around on my butt, so I figured, let's get moving! We were only there 3 hours and we both caught our limit!!! I'm dirty though! LOL :)

denise05192007tw7.jpg

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

You are looking GREAT! I wish I was in the 230's with you!!!

Look at how baggy those pants are getting!

Still feeling anxious & questioning my decision to have this done. Can't talk w/dh about it as he's never thought it was a good idea. I think I'd better not read any more posts anywhere else but this one, because when I do, every time I read about an issue/problem, etc., I become convinced that that'll happen to me! I know it's skewed... I know that most folks who are doing just great w/the band don't post as much as those w/issues, but it just *seems* like there are so many folks w/issues.... I guess I'm just scared.

. I don't want to be living on smoothies & crackers and eating only after 4pm... I don't want to go to sleep w/a cup for sliming in on the bedside table... I don't want to slime every day... I just want to EAT LESS of regular foods and LOSE WEIGHT in a healthful way.

Assure me that this is the way to achieve that!

I really am in a state. It's been for the past few days. Getting worse each day. Usually I'm fine in the a.m. but as the day goes on I get more mental. Help?

Michelle,

Been there and done that. I felt the same way I read everything out there on the net, watched tv programs and prayed about it. I came to the conclusion that I could be talked out of anything even life if I let every person with issues convience me.

You have to think about the BIG picture. Is my health at risk? Will I drop dead for a stroke or heart attack because I put too much stress on my heart by demanding my body to carry the equivalent of 2 plus 40 pound bags of manure everyday of my life. Could I carry the same 2 bags everywhere I go, up and down the stairs. When I play with my children, when I move around the kitchen cook and eating adding more pounds as I go? etc.

How will I feel if I was able to drop just 1 of those 40 pound bags? Lighter, for sure, now how about the rest of those pounds? What would my quality of life be like then? At the very least lighter.

Put to 5 lbs bags of sugar in to bags and carry it around the house as you go about your day and see how tired you are as you do your chores. Now thinkg of those 2 40# pags on your back and do the same work. Can't do it huh? Yet that is what you are asking your body and heart to do every single day!!!

Everyone must make a decision for himself. And yes there are risks! But there are risk everyday when you take a shower, cross the street, or get in your car where an unforseen occourance could happen but yet we do it everyday of our lives.

These are thoughts I had when I kept going back n' forth with what I wanted to do. and now I'm 25 pounds less and happy that I made the decision for me.

Make a list of pro & cons and see what you come up with.

YOu will be able to eat what you like. And by the way, I have never pb, slimed nor had the golf ball in the stomach and don't intend to, because I following the band rules and the guidelines from my dr.

Well I get off my soap box now, but think ablut it and do what's best for you!

Yes my dear chewing is very important!!! If you are just getting some frothy saliva, it sounds like it was mild, and now you have a reminder!

Before banding I thought of myself as one whole unit. Not so anymore. I now think of my stomach, and the eating and digersting processes as a separate function. Capable of thought, and reasoning on its own! Actually I think of my entire body, outside of my head, as a separate part of me now!!! I do NOT think about food, or what I can eat, or any of that anymore. Eating smaller amounts, and deciding what to eat is once again second nature. But I still find myself separating my body!!! All of yours as well!!! I tell you that your band is telling you to slow down....or that your stomach is trying to help you pass that fruity yogurt by producing extra saliva----slime. Did I develop multiple personality disorder when I got banded????

Mdrai, another reason you read more stories on here about problems both large and small, is for the same reason you come here for support. Some DH's, or SO's are against it, waiting for a problem....so even the minor discomforts come here. We do tend to obssess about our bands! My friend called me like 4 days after I got home from being banded, she was almost a year out, and she was crying, thought she had eroded, and was hurting and sick. Had been trying to hide it from her DH who is also banded. She didn't want to lose hers, and go back up in weight, while his stayed down. They neither one are interested nor have time (in their opinion) to come to an online support group---their loss!!! Anyway, eventually the pain did send her to the ER---where 2 hours later, they removed her appendix! I kept telling her that her pain would be higher with the band, but her port is realllllllly low....so she was convinced it was band related. Pre banding, we all ate something occasionally that did not agree with us, but now, we always blame the band!

I agree, that was an awesome thing to do, showing her how supportive she is for everyone but her. I remember so well the day you were denied, I felt so badly for you! Now off you go, the liquid diet is more than half over!!!

Now for myself. I do not have a cup next to my bed for spitting in! I did for a couple of weeks keep some crackers next to the bed, I was having issues with reflux again----but that has eased. I eat whenever I want to eat. I do have to eat smaller amounts. That is what has helped me lose over 90 pounds. I have not done it as fast as some. But I do not count calories, or points, I eat the same things I did before being banded...just less of them. I was happy with my pre band life, except for the weight. So I pretty much live the same life, and share a meal with my Grandkids now----no big deal! If I have to order a full meal, I have leftovers---not going to stop me from going. I would have gone pre band, and ate it all, and paid for it, so I go now, and ask for a to go box!!! In the last 13 months, I have PB'd twice. Both times, I knew it was happening, it was not sudden and in public---I just fell into old eating habits, and had not chewed well. I eat small amounts of most anything. I will admit, after throwing up (PB'ing...whatever) what seemed like no less than a dozen donuts, after eating only 2 bites...I have no real desire to eat another so I avoid glazed donuts completely. Those 2 bites expanded in my stomach like I cannot tell you!!! I eat small amounts of bread, no problem. I know none of us are exactly alike, and I would never expect you to make your choices based on my experiences. But I can tell you I am so fully happy with my banding choice, that if it become necessary, I would suggest it to, and accompany, my own Mom or daughter, to be banded. I have recommended it to friends who have ask, and 2 have actually had it done, and are doing well. I am lucky in the way that everyone around me here was and continues to be supportive---but while they support---they do not understand---in the same way someone who has been there does. My LBT-ers do. Back when I was banded, I complained to my DH that my incision hurt because it wasn't healing well, my boob laid right on it, kept it from getting air, and healing. He looked at me like "....and you want me to fix it how???" I come on here, complained, and had numerous people tell me how they dealt with it, and just knowing they were healed, and had the same problem, relaxed me, and sure enough a week later it was fine. When I had my chemo treatments, some of the people complained about having to go to the oncologists office for the infusion. I welcomed it, I saw others going through similar things, I saw people in the office who were re growing their hair...it gave me hope----it gave me the affirmation that I could do it if they could!!! We will all be here for you. On another thread I am active on, I have a friend who has chatted with us for over a year, closer to 18 months, as she battled with insurance to get banded, she has been there for all of us. Insurance failed her. She finally managed a self pay, and is almost a week out from surgery now. She feels where you are at!!

Come here and vent, worry, ask for support----whatever you need whenever you need it. These people in this room, are so great---you will never lack for understanding...or a kick in the pants if you need it!

Hang in there!!!

Well I will catch the rest of you later---I need to get going, I am meeting Rick in town to get his blood work taken care of.

BBL

Kat

I can no longer be called a shrinking violet. I will just be a violet for a while. I have continually gained weight for three or four weeks. I still am thankful I have lost what I have don't get me wrong, but when you spend $15,000 for the band you expect more. Now I do have my first fill Thursday, so I am sure that will do the trick. I think I am just having mind games, because when I had lap band I had a hernia repair, and have had problems with that. I also have been pmsing for almost two weeks because I am late! Did anyone else have this problem, I haven't started my period since I have been lap banded. Oh well it seems all I do is complain! I need to stop and look at the bright side!

Jane

So!!! You still have lost 55#'s and that's 30 more that me.

Oh by the way I putting something in the mail for you today!!!

Wow Violets.. I just caught up on all the weekend posts!

Janie: YOU ARE STILL SHRINKING!!!!!!!!!!

Kat: I snorted Water out my nose with the boob comment from your DH!

Laura: WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!! ( I always weigh nekid! )

Terri: Another pound gone AWESOME!

Judy: I see that you are closing in on ONEderland too! What day is DH having surgery?

Angie: How was your weekend post fill?

Everyone Else! HANG IN THERE!!!!!!!!!!!

For me.. well I ate way too much crap this weekend, didn't drink enough water and didn't exercise..... but the NSV is that even though I did have a Blizzard it was a KIDS size and not a LARGE! Even though I had a Cheeseburger I DID NOT EAT THE BUN.......

I have to take DBF to the airport later today so I will be out for the p.m. and then I want to do some major house cleaning....

I still have two weeks til my first fill.......... Like Jane.. I can eat anything and I continue to bounce on the weekends because I'm eating crap, and then work all week to get it back off.....

TracyTX: How are you feeling today?

Terry

You had me in tears too! you are so amazing to put that together.

Michelle

I was going to remind you (since you have been with us so long) to remember and re-read some of the post from mid-end March when we were all mental. You are just about where we were.

Those results 93% yes 7%no. It is all what you put into it, as my Dr. told me. My dr. has a rep as a hard ass and will cancel if you gain weight, I confronted him and he told me he can tell when people are not going to be dedicated and gain from bad things. YOU girlfriend... YOU are proving to yourself you can do it, and if it worked on its own, you wouldn't be here.

Stick with us... we will give you all the love and support that you deserve! A violet you are and a violet you will stay... so 1 week and 1 day. Enjoy the holiday weekend, do stuff for you this next week. And we will continue to help and support you during your "bandster hell" LOL and get you here with us.

Michelle: I meant to say that YOU ARE GOING THROUGH all the same stuff we went through pre-surgery. DO NOT change your date!!!!! You WILL have it done, and you've come through sooooo much to get here!

Right now as I type this..... I can't even tell I had surgery.. its only my sheer WILL holding me at all til I start getting fills...... and it sure is nice to be able to wear some of my old clothes.. that right there sista is my motivation to drink that Water and NOT give in to the McCrapMonster that my boss is smelling up the office with RIGHT NOW!!!!

Tracy... You never fail to crack me up! The "McCrapMonster"! Hoo Hoo Hoo!

I DO remember when you all (or most of you) went through this almost-there oh-my-gosh what-am-I-doing phase... glad to see that I'm "normal" LOL!

I nominate Terry for the Violet of the Day award! I've copied & saved & printed & read & re-read & am carrying around everywhere I go her "retrospective" of my journey in my own words & my seemingly amazing strength & positive thinking for others and am savoring every word to help save myself from this crazy, freaky "BINGE-GIRL" inside me who is fighting to save her life!

Of course, the rest of you all share the "Ms. Congeniality" award -- don't think I'm not appreciative of EACH and EVERY word... I've actually copied all of today's posts into a Word doc to save & read & meditate on... it's like homework that you've all given me... the assignment?... to be gentle & kind & caring & upfront & honest w/myself -- no small task!

I'm so lucky to be in this group!!!

I prayed for you, and you will be fine! We all had the same fears before the surgery!!! All I can say to those of us who have had this done, and to those of you who are getting it done... We are VERY BRAVE people!! It really takes a lot of guts to do what we have done, and still do!!

I am amazed at all of you who have done this!!! It really, really does take stronger people than we give ourselves credit for!!! Good for us!!! You go girl, we are all here with you!!!

Hi TracyinKS, I am feeling great! Thanks so much for asking. I am down to 235 :) My fill that I got last week seems to be working very well!

here is the best news...never thought i would see the day i would be happy to have a cold, but now my taste buds aren't working!! That is awesome...before surgery I would hate to lose my sense of taste...now it doesn't make a difference to me. That proves to me that my outlook on food is changing.

Everyone take care!!

Hi all

so today I went back to my nutritionist. Being hungry more frequent but not able to eat alot and no real direction was why I went back so soon, and since my last appt she focused on my sleep apenea I don't have I thought we would start over.

It was rough going in, she immediately started in on me, not asking what I was doing different or in my life to figure out why i'm hungry more frequently, she immediately was going to give me meridia and told me to get over it, nothing she could do, I probably had stretched my stomach to the mad prior to surgery and it takes time for the muscles to shrink.

before i tell you more.... here is what I thought..... first, it is funny how before surgery I was only eating 1 real meal a day and Protein Shakes 2x's a day and was fine, and how until this week, I was fine eating 3oz of Protein a day and that was it. suddenly almost 2 months later I stretched my stomach out... doesn't make sense to me.

Next thought which I did say outloud was....I started going back to the gym last week and that was when I started getting hungry. She almost instantly changed her tune with me, she said that was probably why I was feeling hungry more often, and she could give me meridia or we worked out that I should have one of my 300 calorie 28g protein shakes once a day to help with that. She also said that she does not want me getting any more calories than i'm getting with that shake, which is 1100-1200. Once she realized what I was getting at and not looking for an easy way out, we discussed what I am eating and how I am there for help an guidance and if I knew the answers I would not be here.

Once we were on the same page, right before I left, she told me she was very proud of the way I was trying to handle these issues and that I was doing a fantastic job, (I lost 3 lbs since my last visit which averages out to 1lb a week) little does she know I lost them right after I left her office not to loose an ounce since.

Just so you all know, here is what I eat 99% of the time

2scrambled eggs w/salsa for Breakfast

3oz chicken or turkey burger w/ 1 slice 2% cheese lunch

3oz chicken or turkey burger w/1 sl cheese dinner (usually lunch leftovers)

sm light yogurt for snack (she wasn't happy with this)

1 serving cottage cheese for snack

she said good choice for Snacks but should not be having, now replaced with Protein Drinks as of today.

So, I hope that info is helpful, it was for me, so I wanted to share my visit.

Thanks for sharing Jennifer...i am eating way tooo much for sure. I'd be starving if I were you. I don't know why I got the sense that your nutritionist is not a pleasant person, lol (just kidding).

Here is my daily food:

*protein shake (4 oz of yougart, banana, 1 scoop of Unjury, frozen raspberries/blueberries/blackberries/strawberries and 1/3 cup of milk...love the magic bullet)

*1/2 cup cottage cheese w/ 10 little tomatos (snack)

*1/4 c. Beans, 3 oz of chic or steak, w/ 13 ceddar

*10 whole wheat crackers (snack)

*turkey burger, fish, some Protein source

Compared to you...I feel like a pig. I am going to the gym in the morning. I think I will have to cut this food intake back after the fill...I have long days, and I am hungry most of the time.

Anyway, good for you honey. We are sending you some purple power for you job search!

Just wanted to share...

I bought a mini-digital scale for $20 on eBay.

It's really a jewler's scale, about the size of a small calculator. But I use it for weighing my food!!!

I can now very easily get out 3 oz. of deli sliced turkey breast, 1 oz. of cheeze, 2 oz. of yogurt.... you get the idea!!!!

Sexy - good job, after a while you'll be able to eyeball the food.< /span>

My official weigh found me at the same weight this week. It has caused me emotional/mental problems. I binged at my mah jongg game tonight, I am feeling a loss of control. I have exercised and eaten really well this week, until tonight, I think I will go back to logging my food and posting it. Kind of a get honest with myself process.

I know that I am thinner. My measurements have really gone down, two inches in my neck alone. But that DAMN scale! People always say to use it as information, but I really have an issue with it. It is a lifelong issue with me. Something to bring up in therapy.

Have a wonderful night Violets! This is a great site.