Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What to bring to the hospital?

I finally got my surgary date (3/11/13). Waited so long for this and now I'm freaking out.

I never had to go to the hospital before and would like to know what to expect.

Maybe someone has some tips what to bring. How did you spend your days?

Hospitals are noisy and restless!!!!! Don't over pack, you won't be doing much but sleeping and walking. My list of must haves: chap stick, phone and charger (and iPad so I can play with you guys!!!), slippers or socks with grippy things on the bottom for walking, toothbrush and paste, hairbrush, MY OWN PILLOW!!!! (Hospital pillows suck and having a pillow to hug on the drive home rocks!!!). I wear comfy clothes that I can wear home as well, don't worry about pajamas, wear the hospital gown so your stuff doesn't get nasty!!!! I think that's all!!!! Maybe a book but I never end up reading em while I'm there!!!

Good luck!!

I work in a hospital (on the mother/baby unit) but I see people all the time bringing a huge well thought out bag of everything they think they'll need, and never use it. She's right about the hospital gown. And the hospital will have most everything you need. I'd bring your toiletries (they have some, but its the cheap hotel kind) and your phone and charger, and maybe a laptop or tablet.

all the above advice is spot on, less is more in this instance. I hardly used anything out of my bag. Wore the same clothes home i wore there, had my phone and charger, had my laptop but never got it out (and that is unbelievable) wore their gowns, i took some pj bottoms, but didn't use them.

the more you pack and take the more you have to bring home and put away. Seems crazy I know, but you just sleep, walk and sip and don't feel like doing much else. I hardly even turned the tv on.

Also clean panties :D my one request post-op, can I PLEASE have my underwear?!?!?! Even with the gown and blankets drove me crazy til I could put my panties on and cover up the girlie bits!

My hospital provided everything for me, but the few things I used were: Chapstick, my own slippers, phone & charger, and laptop. Their toiletries didn't bother me, but if you're particular about things you can bring your own. Wore the same clothes home as I wore there (sweats) and wore hospital gown the whole 2-day stay. Everyone is right, you sleep, then sleep some more. The TV drowned out some of the outside noise for me, but except for the occasional walk I went on, I mostly just slept. Don't pack too much, it's a waste.

i did bring my own pillow, that was important. and if you are a cpap or bipap user you must bring that also.

I work in a hospital too. One word of advice...don't bring your own slippers and socks. They have the non skid kind available and you can throw them out before you leave. Unless you want to bring home the no see 'ems on your slippers. The floors are cleaned, yes, but other people's shoes are not. Things get tracked all over...

I have surgery on Wednesday the 16th. I'm taking along Ocean nasal spray and hand sanitizer. I'm afraid of the flu going around! I was also advised to listen to Successful Surgery by Belleruth Naparstek. Having the earbuds in my ears helps block out the noise here at home so I'm hoping it does the same in the hospital. I'm also taking a book on CD, as suggested by a friend who also had GBS. The surgery tape is great and I'll be listening to one by the same author for pain after surgery. Good luck everyone!

One more thing. My Weight Management Clinic told me to bring a pillow to hold over my stomach as apparently the hospital doesn't hand out any to take home with you in the car. My dh went out and bought a pillow that feels just right (the baby bear pillow - not too soft, not too firm, would normally be used as a couch pillow), and he picked out colors he knew I would like.

Don't take anything. I had everything & ended up not using anything but my cell charger. Maybe chap stick & 1 pair of clothes to go home with.

If your weird like me, an extra bra lol

I recommend an iPod if you have one with a soothing playlist to drown out all the noises. The only sleep I got was after a bad night of pain, thy out me back on my IV drip and pain meds via IV and I put my iPod in and got two hours straight of sleep. Bring Chapstick and pillow to have on car ride home as well as comfy clothes to go home in ( elastic pajama pants are great)

Thanks everyone

Great advise, now I can relax because I don't have to run out and get stuff I vergot.

So my list is very short just pillow, panties and my tablet.

Chapstick, undies, hairbrush toothbrush and your own pillow. Cell and cell charger or laptop iPad. I never used TV. I was groggy half the time from the pain pump meds! They give you socks with grippers on bottom. Toss them when you leave.

DOS 12/17/12