Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. says RNY for hiatal hernia :-(

new study says band is 50 times safer, I will try to look up the referance.

I wonder if it would be beneficial to bring research stuff with. He isssss the surgeon though and is very experienced (like I said, he was one of the first to start bariatric surgery in the states). Might make me look bad.

The federal Agency for health care Research and Quality released a study in July that said four in 10 weight-loss surgery patients develop complications within six months. Among adults, mortality rates among gastric bypass patients remain at between 1 in 100 and 1 in 200 patients.

Laparoscopic gastric banding has been shown to have a much smaller death rate — about 1 in 1000 patients — but complications do occur.

You will be the one to judge your doctor and decide your path. Try to do as much homework as possable. Best of luck/

I was banded on Wednesday and while my surgeon was doing my lapband, he found a hiatal hernia and repaired it. I think I might be a little more sore than if I didn't have the hernia repair, but he still went through with the lapband surgery. Good luck!

Mary

I also had a hiatal hernia and like the others it was repaired while the Dr. did the lapband. I haven't had heartburn since the night before my surgery 11/21. I feel great, have no problems and I am at a 39 lb loss. I would ask a lot of questions before discounting the band. good luck to you!

Put hiatal hernia in the search here. I have read posts of people getting band surgery, the doc finds the hernia while he is in there, and just repairs it. They still get the band. Don't be forced into getting something you don't want. Good luck

I went in for surgery and when I came out they said they found a heittal hernia. They repaired it, which he said was mandatory, I was banded and all was fine!

So I am in a predicament. After going through a huge process to get approved (I was denied, then later approved), I was elated to get my surgery going. I am scheduled for March 5th to get a LAP-BAND. However, I did my upper GI diagnostic test and it revealed a hiatal hernia. I was so worried that I may not be able to get the band that I talked to the nurses and they talked with the Doctor. Apparently, if someone has a hiatal hernia, he usually just goes for the RNY... but may make exceptions if the patient is dead set on a band.

So I have my appointment scheduled on Tuesday for him and I to discuss my options and decide if I can still do the LAP-BAND (he is getting sent the x-ray films), or if I have to do the RNY (and get the hernia repaired), which may be a safer bet.

I am soooooooo scared to get a RNY if need be. I am only a 23 year old guy who is very active. I had lost 80 lbs., gained it back, and now cannot lose anything despite all my hard work. I figured the band would be the the tool that would push me that little bit further to actually see results. The RNY just seems so final... and scary (not in a safety way, but I feel I am too young for it).

What do you guys think? I am struggling a lot with this. Thanks.

I have a hiatal hernia. The doctor repaired it at the time he put the lap band in. you dont need the rny...my surgeon told me sokmetimes the henia might make reflux worse, but honestly after the surgery i have no sign of reflux, thanks in part to the hernia repair.

5 minutes before being wheeled in for surgery my doctor informed me that during the upper GI the week before they had found a hiatal hernia. News to me! He repaired it and I definitely can tell the pain level is different than I expected...or should I say more discomfort level...but very much in keeping with a hernia repair procedure. Added a few more weeks to recovery and lifting but I am grateful that it was found and repaired. I have many friends whose doctors won't risk surgery to repair, so we are doubly blessed since they are already in there. It just insures an even better result.

I also had a hiatal hernia repaired at the time of band placement. So, I would say find another surgeon if this one is set on the RNY. Maybe he's just not skilled enough, which is a problem in and of itself.

Okay - I have to jump in here. I had a very large hiatal hernia - it was a rare kind, the kind that grows, I forget the medical term they called it, I had stage 4 of esophogitus, the next stage was Barrets Esophogus, which can lead to cancer. I also had my stomach lodged into my ribs.

My doctor repaird my hernia, stretched my esopogus, pulled my stomach out of my ribs, and put the band on.

This is the first time in YEARS I have absolutely 100% no heartburn, I am feeling great!

I'm anxious to see how long this will last, I hope it last forever!

I will say if you have a hernia, IT MUST BE REPAIRD if your getting the band. The band won't work with the hernia, so if it is not repaired, then I can see going another route, but an experience surgeon should be able to repair it and put the band on at the same time.

I'd stand pat and ask him to do the repair when he does the lapband. Just because he is very experienced doesn't mean they don't have their prejudices. I'd ask him why, with all the post op problems of the RNY patients, he'd want you to have that drastic a surgery in place of the lap band when he has to do the hernia repair anyway, no matter which WLS procedure he does?

:)

THANKS for all the posts everyone! I just got back and my doctor said he will REPAIR the hiatal hernia AND do the LAP-BAND. He was mostly worried about having the herniated area affecting the band placement. He will fix what he can and will do whatever it takes so I am happy.

This is soooooo great. My excitement for the surgery has gone up 100% now.

March 5th is the day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Woohoo!

- Jason

Congratulations Jason! We all look forward to your future post and your progress with the band!