Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I have a question.

I am going to be changing insurances in Feb. I know they will cover the RnY but unsure of all the prep testing they require. I should be able to be approved in march sometime.

The problem I am facing is my oldest daughter who is 3 is special needs and completely dependent on me for all her care. She is supposed to be having hip surgery on the 5th of March and be in a full body cast from breast bone to toes for 6 weeks.

I am figuring that I wouldn't be able

To have the surgery till after hers. So that puts me at the beginning of may.

My question is how soon can I care for my daughter? I was half lifting/scooting her into my lap and transferring her from her wheelchair to couch/bed by using my arms and scooting her about a week after my csection with my youngest. It never hurt me and I made sure to lift "smart". I was picking her up normally by a month post csection. Currently my oldest is 32lbs.

I do not really have anyone that can come stay with me to help with her. I was going to speak with my surgeon about it at my follow up from my endoscope on the 9th.

Anyone in a similar situation or have any advice?

Thanks.

I was told no lifting for 2-4 weeks.

I was talking to my husband and trying to figure out how to do this. I think we are going to have him take some vacation time and hire someone to come in and help in the morning when she wakes up to help me lift her and bathe her. I can change the diapers and things without lifting her. It just seems such a waste of money to have someone come in and just lift her for me. But I also do not want to risk hurting myself.

Thanks for responding. How have you been doing with your RnY?

It sure might be money well spent so that you don't end up with a hernia or worse. I know you are used to doing it all your self, but you are going to have to look after mama for a little bit. Wishing you the very best, Glad you are starting your journey to get healthier so you can take care of you and your family.,

Told my doc I had a 25 pound nephew and he said lift away. Paper work says 20-30 max. The only thing that concerns me are his little feet when they graze incision sites. Now those first couple days home- I think I did pick him up, but I was MISERABLE- just in general ;) lol

@ Lolwaiting

Nice! How have you been doing? I know you just had your surgery right?

@Vicki

Thank you Vicki! I finally found a PCP that is willing to help me! She was appalled by my former PCP and said that with all the info I provided her she feels I will be a wonderful candidate.

What you said about taking care of me is what I said to my husband. I told him "How can I continue to care for her in my current situation and have this much trouble in just 3 years of having her? I was ok physically (though still morbidly obese) and didn't have back issues, knee issues, ankle issues etc. She is only 32lbs right now.

Even. You have trouble carrying her for long periods (more than 5 minutes) and lifting her over and over. I am with her 24/7. What am I going to do when she is 4'11 and 60-80lbs?!?

I have to do this for me, to make sure I am here for her. No one is going to love her and take as good of care of her except me. Nothing can buy love and care."

That is when he said he really understood why I am going into this full force and trying to get it done ASAP.

It is hard for me. I am so used to doing it all alone. Between running my own household and taking care of my own children along with taking care of my elderly grandparents (cleaning and laundry at their home, chauffeuring them to appts, helping keep their finances in check) I don't have time to care about me. Lol

@ab much better now! The first few days were rough!! :)