Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Urgent question for Dr.C (unfilled but still feeling tight)

:help: Hi Dr. C !

I am seeking advise about problems I am having for a long while:

I got my Swedish band in Jan. 16th 06.

My first fill was 2cc in March 4th

second fill was 2cc in Apr 9th

next day I needed an emergency unfill of 0.5cc

I wasn't able to eat right or healthy because I couldn't eat solids, but I was telling myself: I need to slow down etc... finally in Oct. 3rd I went in for an other unfill of 1cc.

Nothing really changed after that either. During the Christmas holidays I wasn't able to eat at all; except liquids. I went back to my Dr. Jan. 9th and got again an unfill of 1cc. Nothing changed again...He did send me for an upper GI and they didn't find any abnormality.

Went back again two weeks ago and completely emptied my band. Still

no change.

Would you share any thoughts why this could happen?

Thanks; Kati

Oh my god, i've got the exact same problem. I came to this site specifically to see if i could find an answer to this question.

A short history for me is this.

Me and my husband had surgery 1 yr ago. He's had absolutly no complications and eats anything he wants but at a restricted amount. He's nearly at his goal weight and everything's fine.

I on the other hand have had nothing but problems from day one.

Without fail 2 weeks after every fill i get a blocked feeling. food just won't go down no matter how soft it is, or how well i chew. Most cases i'd end up vomiting to get rid of the blocked feeling. 3 months ago i became pregnant so i had all of the Fluid removed. Was fine to eat for about a month (although i still had to be very careful with what i ate) and then the blocked feeling came back. Went back to see the Dr. and he did this thing where he sucks the air out of the band as well so that the band is flattened (it's supposed to result in feeling like the band isn't their) well that hasn't worked cause the blocked feeling is back. I've vomiting more then ever.

I'm really worried as I've kept losing weight even though the band is unfilled. Normally this would be a good thing, but i'm pregnant and i'm sure it can't be good for the baby. Also throwing up after each and every meal is really getting to me.

Please please please any advise help would be much appreciated.

Katie if you work out a solution pls let me know, I"m really desperate.

Oh and my doc's no help, he herds his patients in one after the other and dosn't really like to answer questions. He's advise on my problem was when u give birth we'll remove it ( great help).

Thanks again to any advise and sorry this is so long

Angel

If you were my patient and you had a J&J band that is completely unfilled and you still can't keep anything down you would get an operation. Has to be something wrong...

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

:help: Hi Dr. C !

I am seeking advise about problems I am having for a long while:

I got my Swedish band in Jan. 16th 06.

My first fill was 2cc in March 4th

second fill was 2cc in Apr 9th

next day I needed an emergency unfill of 0.5cc

I wasn't able to eat right or healthy because I couldn't eat solids, but I was telling myself: I need to slow down etc... finally in Oct. 3rd I went in for an other unfill of 1cc.

Nothing really changed after that either. During the Christmas holidays I wasn't able to eat at all; except liquids. I went back to my Dr. Jan. 9th and got again an unfill of 1cc. Nothing changed again...He did send me for an upper GI and they didn't find any abnormality.

Went back again two weeks ago and completely emptied my band. Still

no change.

Would you share any thoughts why this could happen?

Thanks; Kati

I've been in the exact same situation since day 1. Others who had surgery after me are close to goal and I sit 18 months out and down 40 pounds. My surgeon even dropped me because he couldn't help me and made notes in my file that I just must not be following the program. Kinda hard when you can't eat. Like the other poster below I am pregnant and am buying time until something can be done. After having problems with my surgeon I found Dr. C who I truly trust and admire. I'm sure there will be an operation after I have the baby, I just pray I can make it until then. Some days I can eat, some nothing (like today).

Just wanted to wish you luck and tell you there are others of us out there in the same boat.

Thanks, Dr.C for your reply!

Definitely something is wrong...don't you think an endoscopy maybe would show what is wrong?....did you have a case like this? What do you think it could be?

My Dr. want to repeat the upper GI and maybe have a endoscopy...

Thanks, Kati

Thanks Angel and Kari Jo!

I appreciate your reply! Good luck and best wishes for both of you to your pregnancies! I will let you know what happens and please do the same!

hugs, Kati

It could be a large hiatal hernia, could be a slip missed by xray. Yes I would probably do a scope but it's only useful if you're scoped by someone who has a lot of expertise in band patients specifically. Whatever it is it needs to be dealt with soon if you can't keep anything down.

Good luck,

Dr. C

Cincinnati, Ohio

www.TheBandDoctor.com 877.442.BAND

DISCLAIMER: I am not your surgeon, any comments made by me are not meant to be taken as medical advice, just general guidelines. Contact your surgeon about your specific problem!

Thanks, Dr.C for your reply!

Definitely something is wrong...don't you think an endoscopy maybe would show what is wrong?....did you have a case like this? What do you think it could be?

My Dr. want to repeat the upper GI and maybe have a endoscopy...

Thanks, Kati

Thanks again Dr.C ! Unfortunately my Dr. doesn't have much experience, because they just started to do lap band surgeries here in May. He didn't do my surgery, I went to Hungary in last Jan. to get it. This Dr. here, he did my fills, unfills and also my gallbladder in last March.

I can still keep dawn some mushi food and liquids but usually more of the wrong type. meat and vegetables, no way.... and I think the worse part is the to much PBing and sliming what I do everyday

Thanks, Kati

well it seems there's now 3 of us in this boat LOL. Hopefully we'll all get our answer's soon.

I've realised that i need to see a new Dr. But i'm trying to bide my time until i give birth cause i'm assuming that nothing can really be done until then. I can't really have x-ray's and the like and operation's are out of the question.

Also finding a good experienced doctor in Sydney, Australia is proving to be a bit of a challange.

Dr. C, in your opinion can something be done before i give birth, or will i need to wait til after?

Angel

Hi Angel and Kari Jo! I am sorry, but still don't know what causing these problems for me...or for all three of us! When are you guys do? It is definitly not pregnancy what causing it for me! (ha-ha-ha) Please let me know: how you guys doing! Keep touch! Kati

Hey Kati,

Well i'm due mid June, so not to much longer to go :clap2:

I had these complications way before i fell pregnant, i think the pregnancy is just making it worse for me.

Out of curiosity, what size is your band. I'm thinking that may be part of the problem. My Dr. told me that my one was smaller then my hubby's but didn't actually tell me the size. But that could explain why i'm having all the complications and he's having none.

Hmmm, food for thought (no pun intended LOL)

Angel