Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Water - Favorite Cup

I drink from a straw. I don't have problems with gas or swallowing air, and it helps me get the Water in. 72oz/day.

The app I use on my android phone is called Slow Mow Eating. You can set how many "bites" you want, how long between each one, and what kind of alert you want to remind you. I do about 120-180 seconds between sips. I only turn it on when im struggling and im at home where i can be near it. Looks like android has some called waterlog too, I'll take a look at those too.

i am having the issue of drinking Water (gives me a stomach ache), and i dont like any of the crystal lites post op. the only way i can have liquids is if i mix apple juice, but then my sugar goes up :( any suggestions.

that goes down, but i need a different liquid to drink at work you know

hum unsweetened Decaf ice tea. Or popsicles

Sunshine, how far post op are you?

So you have no problem with a straw?

I could get more liquids with a straw.

To get more Water in try different temperatures of it. Ice cold, warm, room temp or hot anything that feels better and will allow you to drink. Just keep trying. It made my pouch hurt too at first but, I kept trying until I got what was right for my body. Try different flavorings as well.....if crystal light is too much, as it is for me, try Mio which is a liquid flavoring so it mixes great. There at lots of store brand liquid mix ins as well that are sugar free. Walmart, Target and grocery stores carry them. There are plenty of powdered sugar free mix ins as well. One day I was fine with Mio strawberry watermelon flavor and the next thing I knew I couldn't drink it anymore....picky pouch but, I moved on to the next flavor. Grape was a great one for me. Lately I've been mixing in Koolaid flavorings but, using splenda to sweeten it...plenty of flavors there too. Today I tried a new thing....I cut up an apple and put it in a 2 quart pitcher, then I added two cinnamon sticks and filled it with Water. Shook it up and put it in the fridge. It's been easy going down and different :)

Now on the subject of straws or no straws. Most surgeons will say no straw it adds air. Well.....for me the straw makes it so I don't take in as much air so I use one unless I'm drinking from a water bottle. I just find that I get much less air in if I use one. When I drink from a cup or bigger mouthed bottle I tend to gulp even when I'm trying not to. I don't gulp with the straw. I think you'll know what's best for you as you try it. You can definitely tell when you're getting air in your pouch...it's very uncomfortable. Flexible straws tend to get a hole in the flex/bend part...that will draw in air. You don't want that...I use hard plastic straws I got from the store. Many cups come with them in them already. I find I get less air with such a solid straw. :)

Good luck and definitely keep trying....you need your water :)

Im having problems with my Water intake too! Im 20 days post-op and besides head hunger this has been my biggest struggle. Ive always been just a plain water drinker and used to be able to chug a bottle of water within seconds. I am sick of sweet things so im not enjoying anything flavored drinks.(although i do love my popsicles!) My husband jokingly said he was going to buy me one of those water backpacks that runners use and tape the straw to my face! Now i know aren't suppose to use straws but the water backpack might be a good idea (minus the straw taped to my face) as long as we are careful we might as well try anything!

Sunshine' date=' how far post op are you?

So you have no problem with a straw?

I could get more liquids with a straw.[/quote']

I am 8 weeks post op tomorrow. I have zero problems with a straw. My nut tried to say something once, but I said, "Look, I'm southern...I'm a lady...I will choke down all the chalky Protein drinks you want, but I will do it with my straw." She never said another word. My dr never cared.

The temperature of the Water was really important to me--I don't put it in the fridge-doesn't hurt on my pouch and easier to drink. You can also try the Diet Cranberry juice and mix half/half--that's really yummy too

No straw!! Put air in your pouch.

Wow, never heard of that.

SD: 10/10/12, Converted from Lapband to RNY, HW (before band) 263, HW (RNY) 230, Preop 219, after surgery 223, CURRENT... 199 YIPPEE :) ONEDERLAND

I have been thinking about Water as well I feel like I am still trying to figure out how much I can drink and how often my doctor say that I should have 64 oz a day but it seems impossible with the meals and having to wait half an hour before and after. I have found a good Water bottle at GNC that has a wire whisk in ths bottom this is great if I want to add crystal light or what not I have had craving for lemonade so that is what I put in there. It also measures on the side so I can keep track of how much. Not sitting that is helpful but that's for the vent lol

Love that cup!

SD: 10/10/12, Converted from Lapband to RNY, HW (before band) 263, HW (RNY) 230, Preop 219, after surgery 223, CURRENT... 199 YIPPEE :) ONEDERLAND

Having same Water issues. When it was warm weather I was drinking away now on the cold weather. I can't seem to pass 2 bottles of water it's 16.5 ounce

Love that cup!

SD: 10/10/12' date=' Converted from Lapband to RNY, HW (before band) 263, HW (RNY) 230, Preop 219, after surgery 223, CURRENT... 199 YIPPEE :) ONEDERLAND[/quote']

It is great !