Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

slip question

Does have a slipped band cause any long term, irreversible health problems besides interfering with weight loss? What about erosion, does erosion cause any long term, irreversible health problems?

A slipped band usually causes other problems. I've read about serious reflux issues and serious vomiting issues. These symptoms often lead to the tests that render the diagnosis of a slip. Whether there are people out there with slips but no symptoms (and thus no diagnosed slips), I have no idea.

I do not believe you can live with an erosion and not have the band removed. An erosion means the band has actually eroded through the wall of your stomach. As I understand it, this has to be surgically corrected in order to salvage the integrety of your stomach. Some non-severe erosions can be immediately re-banded, usually by using a different size band (often the VG when a small Inamed band had been used before) and placing it slightly differently (often slightly higher).

Slips are more common than erosions, but neither are common. When I decided to be banded, I accepted the fact that there was a small chance I'd need a revision surgery at some point. Believe me, the chance of having ONE bad day (i.e. a follow up surgery) versus living every day at 300+ -- it's a no brainer which I'd choose.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much, that is very helpful.

How about a stretched pouch, or is that just for bypass patients? Does a stretched pouch shrink back to its normal size over time? How can you tell? Can you still be sucessful with a stretched pouch?

I don't know what is wrong, but I just have this feeling that something is wrong....I am so scared, though, to go in and find out (does a barium swallow catch erosion, slips and stretched pouches?) because there is literally no way I can afford another surgery. No chance, even if I tried to take out loans I wouldn't be given them at this point.

I was thinking about switching insurance to one that covers bariatric surgery (although do any cover surgeries when they go back in to fix things?) and then going in for the test.

I'm at my wits end! What should I DO??????????

I have not yet been banded so can only tell you what my surgeon told me. This is not from first hand experience. He said the "pouch" can stretch but that the band can be loosened (unfilled) to allow the pouch to regain its tone.

It is crucial for you to remember that the band needs to "be worked". You have to watch what you eat and eat properly and be careful of PB's and vomitting (especially vomitting).

Hope that helps

Those are very good questions! I've wondered about the same things.