Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Surgery Protein

I am told I will need 80 grams of Protein a day for Life to maintain successfully. and it'll be supplemented with maybe 2 or 3 small meals... meal being something like half an apple string cheese and some yogurt.... notice lots use different types of proteins... pre op liquid diet they want me on the bari advantage liquid stuff..... I guess after words do you have more options it seems some of you use different brands and different things... I've noticed that there are protein shot so that you don't have to take the shakes... the shakes are really difficult for me... but I am wondering if a2oz shot with 25 protein is sufficient, if I were to take 3 a day.... seems maybe more costly this way but so was fast food.... I can't do vanilla and chocolate and I really don't like milk base... I have come across a brand this morning called Sunkistprotein.com and the flavors are orange strawberry or grape.... and they come n shots by the two ounces and 100 cal, no carb, no sugar..... I noticed some Protein Shake for is much of 180 calories.... this company even offers a gallon bag with a spout to you put in your frigerator which is equal to 48 shots..... is something like this okay to do once I have my surgery.....

you have to check they type of Protein they offer. the shots mostly use collagen Protein which is not the same as whey or soy protein which is what we need. If you don't like milk base, then use a soy protein with Water instead of milk. powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury also has an unflavored Protein powder that you can put in anything (like broth) and a chicken flavored protein that's also good for Soup.

Don't just look at the grams per serving of protein, find out what kind of protein is in there.

and when in doubt, check with your NUT! :)

R u familiar with lean active 7... it has 7 types of Protein I'm not sure what all 7 types r, i know whey and egg... it's interesting it seems people go to the insurance they have to go through all these classes and get nutrition dietitian info and for the cash patient the doctors just tend to skip that stuff and just take your money and give your surgery... a little frustrating I want to go to all the classes I can so I'm successful

I agree dfw! I don't know how the self pay people do it! However, I do have insurance and I'm not being sent to any classes at all, so I sort of feel like I'm on my own with this too! So strange... some people get referred to go to classes for months with insurance, and here I am, just getting approved and referred for surgery. Seems like it's happening so fast!

I want to have surgery around Christmas when I'm already off of work.... but I have been to 4 surgeons and not found the right fit yet. I have 3 more consults scheduled for this next week. I want somebody who is going to teach me everything and give me a comprehensive program before and after, and I don't feel like any of them are offering that they're offering at best a 1 hour nutrition class. I ask them about the different classes of people with insurance take and they dismiss my question it's frustrating. maybe 1 of these this next week will be the 1, if not have no clue. I really do need to find something that I can tolerate in the terms of this Protein stuff..... I don't like the smell taste or texture of any of it... I think the ones I like are not whey based...sigh

dfw, have you looked into the bariatric programs at major hospitals in your area? I'm not sure where you live, but my example is that I'm in the Chicago suburbs. There are about 5 hospitals that run HUGE (no pun intended) bariatric programs. They ALL offer free seminars. You don't have to be their patient, you can just go to get more info. You just have to register in advance - but they do several of these a month and they are several hours long. It goes over each type of surgery, the pros/cons, the pre- and post-surgery diet, what to expect from surgery, and there is either a doctor or nurse to answer questions as accurately as possible. Sometimes they have recent patients there as well to help. These hospitals also run support groups that their patients are required to join. I haven't looked into it, but I'm pretty sure they would let any recent surgical patient join their group!

These hospitals are "Bariatric Centers for Excellence" programs. Try googling that with your nearest major city name and you might find hospitals with similar programs available.

Good luck!

I think I'll I need to start doing instead of going to these private doctors running commercials. but would you believe I called 1 and they will not accept cash patients... and I call the other location and she said this is the same surgeon go to his private practice it will save you 3000 dollars so I scheduled a consult with him and the lady said I can always transfer my aftercare to the facility at the hospital... the surgeon yesterday was the first 1 to charge me for a consult which was 170 and I'm expected because they did not tell me that and I drove an hour to get there so I went ahead and paid it, but at the end they said the next step is to go to the 3 hour class... and that was included already with fee... so even though I am NOT using the surgeon I might go to that class just so I feel like I got my money's worth, although to go to the class I have to take off half a day of work... they say after that class is when you schedule your surgery but I figure I will just sneak out and not schedule

Try Syntrax Nectar. Most of the flavored are non milk based. For example, they have lemonade, cherry (kind of like liquid cherry jello), strawberry kiwi, grapefruit and more. I found out about it on here. So far I like the lemonade best- perfect amount of sweetness, not the usual Protein taste either.

I saw their website and all their flavors I didn't realize those were considered whey based I guess they have a better consistency maybe like a Gatorade or Water based, which would be much better for me I have a hard time drinking milk shakes regardless of what flavor, even if from Sonic or water burger I just don't really like the texture... absolutely can't stand the smell of vanilla or chocolate... but starburst rock my world so I like fruity flavors

I am the same way and really had a hard time getting the Protein in. I'd recommend getting their mixed pack- you get 12 different flavored to try. My favorite is lemonade, with crystal sky right behind. I wasn't crazy about the cherry, but it was tolerable. Good luck

I use premier Protein shakes from costco. Taste best to me but i cant drink two a day or they given me loose bm,, so i aslo use whey protien shots that taste like melted Jello, not bad at all. I aslo just ordered the unflavored Protein mix from powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury so i can add it to any regular food. I think the more alternatives you have, you will not get sick of the same ol thing and get your protein requirement in.

DOS 10/10/12