Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PLEASE HELP! is acid reflux a def sign of slippage?

I have been having HORRIBLE acid reflux at night. I went to the dr and got totally unfilled and he put me on some medication and it is still happening. I have no other signs of a possible slippage and im just totally freaking out bc thats the LAST thing i need right now. I have been trying to eat better and i have noticed when i do the acid reflux doesnt bother me. I have also tried to stop eating/drinking after 7pm and that seems to help too... but every once in a while i will eat something that will irritate it or eat too late and i wil be up all night!

I was just wondering if anyone knew if acid reflux could be a sign of something else other then a slippage? I know most of you are going to say go to the dr again...and i will... i just wanted to know if anyone has had a simmilar experience or has heard of anything like this and it not be something as serious as a slip.

thanks

I had a similar experience once and had to get completely unfilled. The doctor told me that I had to heal for a while and not get refilled for a couple of weeks. The acid reflux did go away. It just took a few weeks.

I have been there too, I find that I need to avoid etating late at night and have certan foods that will cause problems most of the time this is enough to deal with it- sometimes an unfill and meds can fix the problems - but if you knw what makes it worse you may have to manage it that way long term too to prevent recurrence. For me once its under control I can be a bit more relaxed but persistant straying will lead to problems- I prefer to play it safe and avoid the pain

Eating after 7pm for me is a total no no. I end up with acidy/sour stomach. Also if what I eat is too heavy it will happen. You're going to have to listen to your body...like you said in your own posting IF you eat late at night or too much you're up at night. Gotta change that then and eat earlier, chew well and eat slow.

Sometimes it is a medical condition though that causes it and medication is needed to releave it. Happens to so many people who don't have the band to bood. My doc said another thing that could cause it is if the band is too tight. The acid used by your stomach to digest your food can't make it down to the lower stomach so it ends up in your esphogus if you eat too much.

Good luck and I hope you feel better!

Oh boy, I have been there. Last year got an unfill because of suddenly becoming too tight. Dr. sent me for an EGD, they saw irritation and abrasions but no slip and no erosion. I was put on nexium and slowly saw improvement, had to just about give up coffee and eating after PM. Got a small fill and tried to come off of the Nexium but started having the reflux again. Had another EGD and found that everything was perfect. So...I am still on Nexium and have a small fill and seem to be doing OK. I had my coffee back although it is not as much as before but at least I am not totally without.

Have you tried elevating you bed or pillows to elevate you head and shoulder's? I found that that helped a little too. Good luck.