Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Signed.....confused....

I have a question... I recently went to the seminar and had every intention on signing up for the lap band surgery. AS the doctor was explaining each surgery, he stated that the lap band is the least out of the bunch that he Would recommend due to the percentage of people who actually lost weight. My problem is I am now considering getting the GB surgery but am a Little scared of the outcome. Can anyone give me some advice. I was looking into the sleeve as well. I have quite amount of weight I Want to loss and I Want to chose the one that is best for me. Ultimately I know it is my decision, but I wanted to Get some information from those of you who have had the surgery or changed their mind and chose another surgery....

Hi I am going to copy some of my story here for you. Hope it helps.

I am in the process of insurance approval to have a revision from Band to RNY. I have had my band for seven years. I have been very lucky to have not had any complications, no slips ect. My band is unfilled now, because i never did get the 'sweet' spot, either to tight and things would come back up or I would revert to soft high carb foods, or too loose and I can pretty much eat anything. I had my surgery for the band in Cincinnati Ohio, (I live in Indianapolis) The surgeon Dr, Trace Curry was excellent,

I do think traveling back and forth for fills ect did hinder me getting where I needed to be for my fill to be right. But no matter what the band was not going to help most of my medical issues.

Since the band I have lost and gained the same 30 to 40 pounds. Now at my heaviest. And the band did not help any of my medical problems. I am hoping the RNY both with the smaller stomach and mal absorption and the actual surgery itself will help with my uncontrolled type 2 diabetes and insulin resistance. I am so sensitive to insulin that I swell and ache all over but I have to take large amounts to keep my blood sugar down. It is like I am on a merry go round, hurt, can't exercise, can't exercise, gain weight, blood sugars out of control, more insulin, can't breath because of severe asthma and copd, need steriods about once a year, higher blood sugars, more weight gain, can't exercise, and around and around we go

My hope and prayer is that this surgery will add years to my life that I can spend with my children and grandchildren. I need to GET a life, because what I am doing right now is not living

seven years ago I thought the Bypass was too drastic. I didn't realize then the benefits besides weight loss that the Bypass can do. I think if you have a lot of weight to lose the Bypass would serve you better. I see so many revising from lap band to either the Sleeve or the Bypass. But even see some revise from the Sleeve to the Bypass.

Read a lot here, ask questions and listen to your Doc's advice. Then make up your mind. I don't regret getting the band, but I do wish I had went all the way and had the Bypass seven years ago.

Best Wishes to you.

I had the lapband as well but, I had issues with mine. It was put in 2/2006, revised doe to a slight prolaps in 12/2008 and then ultimately removed in 1/2010 because of a severe prolaps. My lapband was no longer facing my left shoulder it was facing my left foot. Not good! The first year with the band was good, I lost about 80 pounds but, then the trouble started. Slowly but surely the weight came back because we never got the fill correct after the first revision. I went unfilled for so long. After it was removed......it took a long time to adjust to not having it anymore. It was a tool for so long even when it didn't work right. I had to heal up at least 6 months before they would consider doing another surgery. Basically.....I got the lapband because I was nervous about my organs being reorganized. But.....it's been 6 years since 2006 and the surgery has come a long way and fewer complications. AFter seeing more weight come back on, I decided RNY was for me because I did well with the band and it's small pouch area....so I knew I'd do well with a RNY size pouch. I actually like that fact that dumping can occur and I won't test that ground. I don't want to dump and I don't want to find out if I don't dump. A healthy fear of it keeps me away from fats and sugar which help me get fat in the first place. I thought of the sleeve as well but, my surgeon said there was more chance of an ulcer and the sleeve hasn't been around long enough for the long term studies. RNY has been around for many years now and it's proven to work. So I decided to have the RNY.

Everyone has to make their own decision though. Good luck and I hope my answers help a bit.

Thank u so much Vicki, you have really helped me out a lot. So glad I reconsidered my decision and with the help of you and others I really feel good about changing to the GB! GOD BLESS AND THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP(-:

Thank you "losingitforme2011" you have helped me make my decision and have answered a lot of the questions I was unsure of. I'm feeling so much Better about the decision I am making and know that it won't be a waste of time. God Bless you in your journey!! (-:

You're welcome Chosen. I have to say that first year I sure did love my lapband....but after that it was hell. The constant fill and unfill and never getting that correct fill level was just plain nuts and depressing. To work so hard to get the weight off and see it coming back was awful. I'm now almost 2 months postop and finally feeling great and ready to rumble with this RNY :)

Good luck and if you have any questions please feel free to message me. I'm happy to help.

Have band also. Didn't have major complications(slips, erosion, etc). Just fill, unfill, not right spot. food getting stuck, nausea and vomiting. Traveling long distance for the adjustment. Lost only 40 lbs. Gained all of it back and then some. Revising to RNY on 10/24.

I went though the same thing you are going though. After researching them all and going to gastric support group meetings and listing to the people there I went with the by pass.

If your still in doubt see if there is a group support meeting around you ask your doctor he would know. There you can meet other people that are going though and have gone though WLS and can answer any of your questions.

Good luck on your new Journy

Surgery Anniversary 7/30/12

I initially thought I was going to get the band, but in the end I did the gastric bypass. :). No need to do this twice

Sent from my iPhone using RNYTalk

Have band also. Didn't have major complications(slips, erosion, etc). Just fill, unfill, not right spot. food getting stuck, nausea and vomiting. Traveling long distance for the adjustment. Lost only 40 lbs. Gained all of it back and then some. Revising to RNY on 10/24.

my very same story

wishing you the very best the next couple weeks in anticipation.

From what my surgeons office educates you on is that the RNY is the best bang for your buck so to speak. You loose the most on RNY, 2nd is the sleeve and 3rd is the band. I figured that if I was going to have any type of surgeryit was going to be the one that will allow me to loose the most weight. I read that the band could slip, cause complications etc. and the sleeve you do not loose as much with either surgery vs. the RNY. So I chose the RNY....not that you cannot run into problems with the RNY but if you follow your dr's orders you will have no problems. I and 10000% glad I chose the RNY, I sailed thur surgery and recovery with no problems.

Thank you everybody for all your advice!! I have my first appointment on 10/26 and I will be letting my doctor know I want the GASTRIC BYPASS!! I've been doing a lot of research and I Want to chose the best surgery that will give me the best results....THANX GUYS(-: