Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Spivak 2007 bandsters support

I thought I'd start a thread here to see if Dr. Spivak's 2007 bandsters any interest in joining a thread to help support/encourage each other.

I was banded on January 8, 2007 at Park Plaza. The surgery went well. I had more pain than I expected for the first 3 days. Couldn't get in or out of bed by myself, and gas pains were awful! I'm much better now but still have an occasional gas pain in my left shoulder when I sit for over an hour. Approaching 4 weeks this coming Monday. That means I am still on soft foods, and have lost 20 pounds! Yea!

I called to get an appointment for my first follow-up and fill for Feb 12. I am ready because my hunger is returning. I don't want to gain any weight back that I have lost.

Care to join this thread? Please introduce yourself. If anyone has questions or concerns, join in.

Terry

I heard about this support group, and sent an email to Wanda Chase to register for the first meeting, on March 13. Most of you probably already know about this, but I didn't get any information on this at my seminar or consult:

ATTN:ALL PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE PATIENTS OF DR. HADAR SPIVAK!!!

This is a flyer that is given to all the patients at his seminars.

Dr. Spivak's bandMD -Wellness Program

START DATE IS MARCH 13TH AT 7PM, AND WILL

BE EVERY TUESDAY THERE AFTER!!

The program is designed to assist in the emotional and physical aspects

of post-gastric banding surgery and to maximize weight loss.

Director- Wanda Chase

My name is Wanda Chase. I am 41 years young and I had the LAP-BAND

Surgery one and a half years ago. Before my "Life Changing" surgery I weight 330 pounds and my health was rapidly declining. I already had severe lower back problems requiring the input of metal screws and rods and I experienced major knee problems.

I was not healthy before surgery. My blood pressure was high and I was

on medication for it. My cholesterol was elevated, and I had symptoms of

diabetes. After losing my mother 10 months prior to my surgery from an

aortic dissection (resulting from morbid obesity, diabetes, high blood

pressure, heart disease), I felt I had to do something for "ME" or I

was going to die. I made the biggest choice of my life and had the surgery done with Dr. Spivak. Today I have lost 130 pounds and I take no medication. I am very conscious of everything that goes into my body. I feel very healthy, strong and I exercise everyday.

I am very excited to be involved with Dr. Spivak's bandMD- Wellness

Program. Over many years, I have tried many diets and programs and failed. I finally found something that works and I want to share my story and give people help and prospect. Because I have experienced a lot of what you are going through.

Just a brief over view, ant the wellness program we will have many

topics of discussion on exercising properly, Portion Control, nutrition, the

mental aspect of weight loss and much more. We will have guest speakers on a variety of issues. We will have a fashion trade to help in the clothing aspects. We will also have "Self Challenges" through out the year as well as an incredible event, "The NEW YOU" Holiday Celebration Ball. We have a Yahoo Communication group set up for discussions as well. This is just to mention a few great events and benefits we have in store for you.

I can definately tell you.. that Dr Spivak intends to reward the best

performing and participating patients with great prizes!!

The Wellness Classes will be held every Tuesday Night from 7pm to 8 pm

at Dr Spivak's office 1200 Binz suit 1470 over looking down town Houston. The parking is free, right across the street from our building, very

accessible.

Our "Fashion Trade" will be held the last Tuesday night of the month

from 8pm to 8:30pm after the class is over.We have designed the classes small, so you do not feel like a number, we are small emogh to were everyone will be able to know each other its more personal.

Dr. Spivak bandMD-Wellness Program is free and is one of the many

benefits you will receive when you choose Dr. Spivak to perform your "Life Changing" surgery . You will become part of the bandMD family and will help you any way we can.

You must register to our program by calling the office at 713-520 8900

during normal work hours to RSVP. If for some reason you cannot make

it, please call to cancel your reservation to allow someone else to join,

and then we will see you next week!!

We all love our children, but this is "YOU" time. Please make

arrangements for a friend or family member to care for your children for the time you are at the program. This will assist in the program being more productive in the time we have. I greatly appreciate your cooperation with this.

I look forward to meeting and visiting with each and every one of you!

Sincerely,

Wanda Chase

Director- bandMD-Wellness Program

Email: Spivakbandmd@yahoo.com

More Info: www.lap-surgery.net

I thought I'd start a thread here to see if Dr. Spivak's 2007 bandsters any interest in joining a thread to help support/encourage each other.

Care to join this thread? Please introduce yourself. If anyone has questions or concerns, join in.

Terry

Hi, Terry,

I'm one of Dr. Spivak's patients, too. I've had more than a dozen surgeries, and this one knocked me on my ass. Like you, I needed a lot help the first few days. And my hunger is absolutely ravenous at this point. I'm scheduled for a fill on 2/15. I think I've lost about 12 pounds since surgery, but I haven't lost anything in the past 5 days even though I've been really careful about what I'm eating. I've only had one minor slip-up. Today I had yogurt, cottage cheese, a little low-fat Pasta salad, and shrimp cocktail. I'm drinking a ton of Crystal Light, and I'm wondering if all the aspartame is hindering my weight loss. I'm starting to feel a little discouraged because of the lack of restriction at this point. I feel like I'm starving, yet I'm not seeing any change in the scale.

I'm concerned that I'm not really learning to live with band during this post-op period because it's like the band isn't even there. I can eat fast and take big bites without any problem. If the first fill gives me a good amount of restriction, which I'm hoping it does, I'm probably going to be unprepared for the change.

I'll probably go to Dr. Spivak's support group at least once a month.

Hi, Terry,

I think I've lost about 12 pounds since surgery, but I haven't lost anything in the past 5 days even though I've been really careful about what I'm eating. I've only had one minor slip-up. Today I had yogurt, cottage cheese, a little low-fat Pasta salad, and shrimp cocktail. I'm drinking a ton of Crystal Light, and I'm wondering if all the aspartame is hindering my weight loss.

I think 12 pound loss is good in such a short period of time. I know what you mean though because at the beginning the pounds were melting away. It does look like you are eating within the guidelines.

I still feel a little restriction, because I can't eat real fast, but I can eat more than 4-5 oz of food at a time. Also I get hungry within 2 hours of eating. I have found that the longer I wait after eating to drink anything, the longer the full feeling lasts. Are you drinking with your meals?

I hope they do that xray at my first visit to make sure I haven't overeaten and stretched out my pouch.

My cousin said she could tell some additional restriction with her first fill, but she REALLY noticed a big difference with her second one. She is 3 months ahead of me.

Glad you are joining the support group. I hope to see you there on the 13th. I plan to go once a month also.

Terry

I still feel a little restriction, because I can't eat real fast, but I can eat more than 4-5 oz of food at a time. Also I get hungry within 2 hours of eating. I have found that the longer I wait after eating to drink anything, the longer the full feeling lasts. Are you drinking with your meals?

Terry

I'm trying not to drink with my meals, but a couple of times I've had a few sips of Water with some of the more spicy dishes. For the most part, I've been good about waiting at least 30 minutes after eating before I drink anything. My hunger pains are also kicking in within about 2 hours of eating.

I look forward to seeing you at the support group.

Hi,

Kimmie also started a thread for Dr Spivak patient support on the Lap Band General Discussion area. I went over there and joined in their messages. Thought I'd let you know so we can all be in the same place.

Terry

Hello Ladies ~

I am so glad we have this thread now. I enjoyed reading your posts and am so glad to learn that I am not in this boat alone . . . I feel like I am STARVING, yet the scale is not moving. I really don't want to fail at this! I am scheduled for my first fill this coming Thursday (2/8/07) and am very anxious to get that behind me. I have a friend who had the surgery with Dr. Spiegel in late November and she just had her second fill. So far she says she has much better restriction than after the first. I am just so ready to feel like the band is working. I also plan to attend the support groups (probably once a month too) starting in March, and look forward to meeting you. I need to stop drinking with my meals and start exercising. I didn't spend all of this money and suffer after the surgery not to see a big change . . . :confused:

Lynn

Hello to all Dr Spivak patients. As I am one. I do not know if you know this yet or not but Dr Spivak is having a ball for all of his patients. And I just want to make sure everyone that is Dr Spivak patient knows about this. Wanda Chase the director of the group sent the people in the online group that are signed up off his website this email.// Those of you who are planning to attend the Ball, we need to have at least 70 patients attend. There is only 3 weeks until the dead line so get your applications printed and sent to the PO BOX and if you are not participating in the contest, which everyone should regardless,) please send me your RSVP at spivakbandmd@yahoo.com as soon as you are able, I need to add your names to the guest list. __________________

Banded on April 2ND 2007 By Dr. Spivak Stacey

Thanks, Stacey. I just wanted to mention that Dr. Heller is donating 2 procedures as prizes (I think a breast lift and a tummy tuck), and you can't win these unless you attend. So please RSVP to come to the Ball.