Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I am new here. Had my first appointment on june8 and so far am right on schedule to have my surgery sometime in December. I just went for a sleep test because at that first appt. I mentioned that I haven't slept through the night in years and it keeps getting worse. They said if I had any signs of sleep apnea that I would have to come back again this mon for a repeat test with the addition of using the sleep apnea mask. Lo and behold they let me know I do have to come back. So apparently I have sleep apnea. This has its positives and negatives for me. The positives are I now have a premorbidity factor- my bmi was only 39.7 and had no other health factors. Now I fit the bill no problem! I was weighing with my shoes on before to hit 40! Also I suppose a positive would be I should get a full nights sleep finally! The negatives are that I have to wear the darth vadar mask! Boooooo! So my question is- does anyone else have sleep apnea? I was told I have a number of options as far as masks so I'd love some input in this area! They let me try a little mushy feeling one the first night that just goes below your nose that was tiny and less bulky than the others. The only problem that I saw with that one was you had to sleep with you mouth closed and only breath through your nose. I am a teeth clencher so I try hard to relax my jaw... anyway. Any input on what masks you all prefer?

I had sleep apnea for many years but thanks to rny, it's officially gone as of three weeks ago. The mask you describe in your post sounds like the one that I was using for a good two years. Much more comfortable than the older ones that were much larger. There are a lot of different styles of masks out there but they tend to be expensive. Almost all of the masks will require that you breathe through your nose. There are "full face" masks but doctors and technicians seem to universally state that they are not as effective as the other ones, are more uncomfortable and are not recommeded. Although it's intimidating at first, most people get used to breathing through their nose without too much trouble. Once you get used to it (it really doesn't take very long), you definitely will sleep MUCH better. You'll notice the difference quickly. And there's an excellent chance that the apnea will be resolved by the surgery. It takes a while for it to go away so don't be too impatient once you're post-op. In my case, it took three to four months for it to resolve.

Thank you for your response. I have heard from my doc the same thing about the chances of it going away after rny are huge- especially since I didn't have it when i was younger and a healthy weight! I guess I will give the nasal pillow a try. Maybe ill get used to it when I can finally breathe properly.

You're welcome! And don't be too impatient when you first start using the CPAP. It takes some getting used to. When I first started, I'd wake up in the middle of the night and take it off. Not the end of the world. Just try it again the next night. And the next and the next. It's a gradual learning curve but once you get there, you will be amazed how much better you feel!

I have severe sleep apnea. I use a mask that covers my entire nose. I got use to it pretty quickly and can't sleep without it now. I pray that after I lose the weight that I'll be able to stop using the cpap.

I have had my sleep study and I was woke up by the sleep tech after only 4 hrs and she told me that she could not let me sleep any longer without CPAP because I was so severe so I ended up having a "split night" study. My RDI was 80.9!!! I have worked in the medical field for 11 yrs billing CPAP's, mask and supplies to insurance. I wear a full face mask and because I'm a mouth breather I could not wear anything else!!! The full face mask ARE effective and if you are a mouth breather and use a nasal mask you will also need a chin strap. That is one extra thing to have to wear so I chose the full face and I am on a pressure of 12 so the higher your pressure you will need a full face. I love mine and now CAN NOT do with out it. Lucky for me I borrowed a machine from work.

I also have sleep apnea. I use the mask that just overs your nose. There are a million masks available.you will have to try until you ind one that is comfortable. Luck for me my doctor changed mines out until I found one I liked at no charge. Once I found the one I liked now I get it from a pharmaceutical company. It's really not that expensive if your insurance covers part of it. My pressure was at 10. Now it's down to 8. Slowly but surely I will eventually get off of the cpap. Good luck.

I suggest getting your mask from somewhere that allows you to test a mask at home. I tried the nasal pillows in the clinic and thought it would be great but,when I used it at home it really hurt my nose. I finally went with the pettie mask and I can't sleep with out it.

I suggest getting your mask from somewhere that allows you to test a mask at home. I tried the nasal pillows in the clinic and thought it would be great but,when I used it at home it really hurt my nose. I finally went with the pettie mask and I can't sleep with out it.

We give our patients 30 days to exchange a mask out. I would def find someone with an exchange policy!