Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Gain After Surgery?

Yes' date=' my pouch had stretched and the intestines where attached to stoma formed a pocket. So the surgeon fixed that and made my pouch smaller and placed a ring st the base (wasn't available first time around). Plus fixed the hiatal hernia.[/quote']

Ohh, I see. Was it difficult to get insurance to approve? Good luck to you :)

Ohh' date=' I see. Was it difficult to get insurance to approve? Good luck to you :)[/quote']

Yes, my company changed insurance and added a 1 time per lifetime clause. I did self pay and hope the insurance will cover some with the hiatal hernia repair.

Thanks everyone! I'm glad I'm not alone, I was starting to get a little depressed. I had never heard of a revision until a few months ago. My mom had the surgery 17 years ago and was very successful until about 4 years ago. Her intestine had clappsed, therefor her smaller stomach reconnected with the old one. They did a barium swallow and the Dr. asked her multiple times if she was positive she had the surgey because there was no indication of her ever having it done...crazy huh? But they have to go in and do a full bypass because there's nothing to "fix" lol. The stomach is a crazy thing.

Wow! That's weird! But glad she is ok!!

Wow I had surgery in 2004 I had complications, I had a leak, so I was in icu and on a respirator for 17 days. Ive had two kids since then but I can't lose weight. I got a fluoroscopy done about 3 months ago and my pouch is the size of a shot glass. But I still gain weight. I don't eat much idk what else I can do I don't get why I'm gaining weight. I run 3 times a week. I don't drink sodas I drink Water all day. Help!!

Wow I had surgery in 2004 I had complications' date=' I had a leak, so I was in icu and on a respirator for 17 days. Ive had two kids since then but I can't lose weight. I got a fluoroscopy done about 3 months ago and my pouch is the size of a shot glass. But I still gain weight. I don't eat much idk what else I can do I don't get why I'm gaining weight. I run 3 times a week. I don't drink sodas I drink Water all day. Help!![/quote']

I had mine in 2004 also and was fine until two years ago that I began gaining. I also had the upper gi and my pouch was not stretched however when I had my endoscopy they found I have a dialated anastamosis which i am getting a revision for on 8/20. I also still do not drink sodas but i know that part of my weight gain is due to behavior.

Wow I had surgery in 2004 I had complications' date=' I had a leak, so I was in icu and on a respirator for 17 days. Ive had two kids since then but I can't lose weight. I got a fluoroscopy done about 3 months ago and my pouch is the size of a shot glass. But I still gain weight. I don't eat much idk what else I can do I don't get why I'm gaining weight. I run 3 times a week. I don't drink sodas I drink Water all day. Help!![/quote']

You should do the 5 day pouch test, to hopefully get u back on track :)

Ok, I have to ask: what is the 5-day pouch test?

Someone came to support group that had gained weight back. In 2004 he was 500 lbs. In 3 years he got down to 200 lbs. He is now 380 lbs. he had RNY. Unfortunately he went back to all his old bad habits. It was definitely an eye opener....

We are all here fit you thanks god you get a second chance to make it right.

We are all here fit you thanks god you get a second chance to make it right.

Thanks Mami

I had mine in 2004 and was fine until two years ago that I began gaining. It has to do in part with behavior and in part that i have a dialated anastamosis which i am getting a revision for on 8/20.

I held my original after-surgery weight of 190-194 and then I gained up to 227. I was really concerned about that. So I started doing some research about our food supply, Watching movies like food Inc. and other food related documentaries. It didn't take long for me to realize that our food supply is really lousy and our bodies are starving. I began by cutting out a lot of the meat and Protein shakes . I started eating more whole foods fruits vegetables - that sort of thing. But I couldn't eat enough with my little pouch. So I started juicing and that helped some, but I could tell I wasn't getting all the Fiber And nutrition, and that is when I bought a Vitamix. About that time I watched the documentary "fat sick and nearly dead" and it changed my eating completely!! Although I still like chocolate and some sweets, i have changed my eating habits to every day drinking a green smoothie. I crave them now! And I can eat plenty of fruits and vegetables with no problem. I drink about a pound of spinach a week! I really feel so much better now too that I don't drink a lot of those Protein Shakes. My joints don't hurt and I don't get tired in the afternoon like I usually did. I even started feeling so good that I joined a gym and lost an extra few pounds that way! I should've started selling the vita mix, as its so helpful for us RNY folks to get our nutrition in a smoothie- no gas either! If you try this I would just recommend to start very slow.

Ok' date=' I have to ask: what is the 5-day pouch test?[/quote']

It's going through the stages of eating that you went through after surgery (liquid, purée, etc) but having each stage last only a day instead of weeks. I hear it's a great way to readjust your portion sizes and get back on track.

For sure we can support each other! I did not have to do the liquid diet the first time and now I have to do it for two weeks' date=' beginning on the 6th. Not looking forward to it! Yes I also am being treated as a newbie to rny, but alot has changed since we did it, so trying to learn all over again. Have you lost much weight since the surgery, all i have heard is that this 2nd time it is much slower? I am grateful i saw ur post because it certainly has been hard to find people in the same situation. Oh and by the way welcome![/quote']

I can attest to the slower weight loss!!!

I had a sleeve in 2010 and revised to bypass 1 month ago. In my 1st month post bypass i have lost exactly half of what i lost in the month post sleeve :-)

My surgeon told me to expect as much.

I am interested to track all of us revisions. I think there are some unique challenges for us.

I also had RNY and gained most of my weight back. My surgery was in January 2005. In January 2009 I started gaining after going through a horrific divorce. My life was turned upside down and I turned back to old eating habits. I could eat anything without any problem. I quickly gained back the weight. i never even thought about a revision or that my surgeon would do one since it was my own fault that I gained the weight. In January 2013 I started really thinking about what could be done. I did Weight Watchers, the gym, MFP all that stuff and nothing came of it. I called to get my medical records but never followed up. Then in July I thought I should really pursue it and see my surgeon said. I am a candidate for the revision. I am also treated like a new patient but so much has changed since 2005 I am really grateful for "starting over". I'm expecting to have surgery at the end of this month. Even though this thread is old it makes me feel soooo much better that I am not the only one that has gone through this and has had a successful revision.