Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having Surgery Next Tuesday, Any Advice?

DEEP BREATHING!!!!! If they give u the lil thingy to breath in, b sure to do it

At the hospital I found that eating was not too hard (I never had to do a swallow test) and ice chips were awesome. I took advantage of the pain medicine, since I rather take it before I felt the pain instead of waiting for the pain and it not getting controlled. But my pain was minimal but like the rest said the gas pain was the worst. Walking really is the key, I found that every couple hours I could feel it building back up so would go for a walk and it helped.

I slept most of the time (or dozed in and out) for the first day and the second day was raring to get home. I walked at least 4 times a day and three times a day when I got home (15 min at a time, but slowly). Rest the best you can at the hospital.

At home finding a comfortable position to sleep in was the hard part, but once I did that and took a pain pill sleeping at night was fine. During the day I just took it easy and went on my walks. I set up a schedule for eating, since I never felt hungry. My hubby made my food (such as it was) and that way I did not have to choose my food. He knew what I could have and just brought me stuff and I ate it, since trying to choose what sounded good was impossible since nothing sounded good. But sugar free popsicles and sugar free Jello were the best things I found I could eat. They had a lot of flavor and went down easily. Avoid tv commericals (I forward thru all them, pretty much still do) as they will drive you crazy. I was prepared physically for the surgery but there was no way I could be prepared for the mourning over food I could not have and everything else. I thought I was prepared but when it hits combined with the hormones from surgery it is overwhelming. Just go with it, understand that it gets better. Try to focus on the positive and what you will be able to eat in a couple weeks and not what you might not ever be able to eat again, because otherwise it gets bad. (at least for me it was hard, but over it mostly now)

Sip your Water when you can (finally I now can drink normal size swallows, which sure helps staying hydrated) and you will be fine. I always had a water bottle next to me or in my hand. Ice Water is the best in my opinion, but each person handles temp differently.

I did not get my relatively normal energy back until after 3 weeks and at almost 7 weeks post-op I feel pretty normal (or as normal as I get). I went back to work at 2 weeks, but I was always tired, but it was doable.

Best of luck on the surgery. keep us posted.

Sorry post was so long.

The pain that I had in the hospital was when I used my stomach muscels to sit up or get out of bed. I had the morphene drip and I sure as heck used it too !!!! It was more like uncomforatble pain rather that pure pain. My suggestion is to walk, walk, walk... that gets everything moving again and most of all gets rid of the painfull gas. My gas pains were in my shoulders. I went back to work after one week, I could have used 2 wks at home. The pain is tolerable and that comes from someone who cannot stand one ounc of pain !!! Take your pain meds as instructed. Like someone said above, don't let you pain level get too high because then you cannot control it no matter what but if you take your meds as instructed like every 4 or 6 hours you pain level will not get to where it is un controllable. Good luck, you got some great tips here from other members :)

I had a very hard time using my stomach muscles to sit up from my bed and really anything abdomen related like coughing hurt. Walking made the pain less noticeable' date=' though for about 2 weeks I was holding the left side of my stomach while standing/walking because it hurt not to (mind you I later found out I had an infection on my left side so that could have been the culprit)

- Kaylee Ann ~ Surgiversary: 6/11/12[/quote']

I was shocked that I could not cough, laughing was horrible!! And reach around to wipe. Soo painful

Thank you all for such great advice. I appreciate it and will use it all! Less than 24 hours away. Starting to get nervous, but excited at the same time. I will let you know how it goes.

ASK ABOUT A PAIN MED CALLED DILAUDID..........GREAT

You will throw up no matter what can't be avoided. Good luck

I have not thrown up yet and I am 7 weeks post op. I guess some people did nothing but throw up, but I have yet to experience that special joy (and willing to continue to miss out on that one, thank you).

I think in general if you are very careful in the amount of food, the type of food and to chew chew chew you might be able to avoid it. I once ate something with too much sugar (greek yogurt) but I did not throw it up, but got bad cramps and spent on and off in the bathroom that morning at work (wheeee joy joy), but never thrown up.

Some people have different issues or that is just how their body works and nothing they do will stop it, but I think that is not the majority of us. But I could be wrong. Measure out your portions and pay attention to your body to know what the right portion for your body is. I still try to keep my food to 1/3 to 1/2 cup of food at a meal. Sometimes I am stuffed at 1/3 and others I can eat more, but never more than 1/2 c. It depends on the food itself really. Keep sugar grams and fat gram low and masticate until you can can't stand it. LOL

Best of luck!!

I have to disagree with you. Throwing up is not normal. If you are throwing up you need to call the Dr.

I'm four weeks out and haven't had any nausea or vomiting.

I have not thrown up yet and I am 7 weeks post op. I guess some people did nothing but throw up' date=' but I have yet to experience that special joy (and willing to continue to miss out on that one, thank you).

I think in general if you are very careful in the amount of food, the type of food and to chew chew chew you might be able to avoid it. I once ate something with too much sugar (greek yogurt) but I did not throw it up, but got bad cramps and spent on and off in the bathroom that morning at work (wheeee joy joy), but never thrown up.

Some people have different issues or that is just how their body works and nothing they do will stop it, but I think that is not the majority of us. But I could be wrong. Measure out your portions and pay attention to your body to know what the right portion for your body is. I still try to keep my food to 1/3 to 1/2 cup of food at a meal. Sometimes I am stuffed at 1/3 and others I can eat more, but never more than 1/2 c. It depends on the food itself really. Keep sugar grams and fat gram low and masticate until you can can't stand it. LOL

Best of luck!![/quote']

I agree with all of this. 6 weeks post op and never puked. Different food fills you up differently, like I get more full from pork chops versus egg. I eat usually around 2-3oz at a time. Chew! Wait between eating and drinking as instructed

- Kaylee Ann ~ Surgiversary: 6/11/12

When did it start taking the drops? Before the actual surgery? I need to try that! My sister is having her surgery Wednesday. Thanks for the tip!

I started taking them like 3-4 days after. The stuff I was trying at 1st wasn't helping. So I called my surgeon and he said try a liquid gas med. My friend who had RHY told me to get the drops. I got mine at kroger, but any pharmacy should have them. I took more than the suggested dosage as the box says to do so if needed. I also would take them before the pain started. I loved them. Thank God my gas pain only last for the 1st week.

I've read several people say they went to the er for dehydration...not to sound dumb, but what's the indicator you need ER assistance? Sincerely, Mrs. drinks Her Weight in Diet Coke daily.

I've read several people say they went to the er for dehydration...not to sound dumb' date=' but what's the indicator you need ER assistance? Sincerely, Mrs. drinks Her Weight in Diet Coke daily.[/quote']

My heart was racing, I was exhausted, I was having shortness of breath. I called my surgeon and they told me to come in

Congrats on your surgery....mine is this coming Tuesday!