Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Just Us Guys

:clap2: Hey Guys, just got home about 45min ago from Mexico, as Jeff said were all doing real good . I still have no pain just GAS !! Farted all the way from Mexico!!:heh: Well got to eat drink slurp or what ever with my soup.. Talk later,Ted:)

I have been wondering for some time now why the lap-band procedure is so female dominated!! It's actually nice to see a guys thread!

So here's what I've been dealing with so far since being banded 2 days ago.

1) My first BM this afternoon since the morning before surgery. Never thought I would be so happy to see (or say) that.

2) Soreness is mostly related to the incision in the port area. The others really dont bother me at all.

3) Constant feeling of being bloated. How much gas-x did you guys take to releive it?

4) Lots of stomach grumbling. Not sure if it's related to gas or hunger, but I am definately not hungry.

5) Finally got some good sleep last night. Did everyone else pretty much sleep on their back the first few nights?

Guy Power! :clap2:

(Chicks rock too):whoo:

Jeff

It would be my guess that more females have this help, us guys are just to hard headed.

Get used to the gas, it seems to be a lasting thing.

Yes I slept on my back the first few days.

Gumbling, well it goes with the gas.

Read the girls stuff, they have lots of good information and are much less hard headed. Us guys have most of the same conserns and challanges as the girls. Guys may not be looking to have breast implants but the TT is very likely.

Hey fellas..great idea for a guys page..I just discovered this site yesterday, so I am still feeling my way around.

I am just getting started- check out my profile for the details. - pax10-

I read a lot about people going to Mexico.. dont get me wrong, I love TJ, but I would be a little nervous about getting surgery there.. maybe I am just paranoid? I am trying to convince my insurance, but have already decided that if I am denied, I will self-pay...aprox 16,500 here in KCMO with Dr. Malley. That comes with one year follow-ups and fills, then fills are 100 bucks a pop after that.

He is supposed to be one of the best, and to me, being thin for the first time in my life is hard to put a price tag on!!!

Any other fellas out there from KC? I have tried to ad a couple of ''buddies'' to my list-it says to type in their name and then hit ''save list'', well I cant find ''save list''! Somebody holler back, pax10.

Hi Pax10, and welcome :clap2: !! My name is Ted and I just got my band on Wed in TJ Mexico,and the price for my band was around $8,000 with free fills. Dr. Kuri is one of the BEST Dr.s in Mexico or the USA..they have been doing banding in Mexico longer then here..If you are thinking of getting the band check him out. 1-888-223-4046 or belightweight.com I'm very happy with the Dr.Kuri and the care from all the staff there, if I was to do it all over, I would do it the same way! Ted

Hey there.....I am a 49 year old single father of two little guys. I haven't got banded yet. I have to go to Memphis, TN--aout 30 miles to the north. I have a Feb-28th appointment to talk with Dr Weaver. I am told by her secretary, within two weeks time--I'll have the surgery after that. I expect now to be banded by March 1st to the March 15th date. My surgery has been approved by my 2 insurances. BC/BS is refunding $250 of the program fee I had pay out og pocket. Not bad at all...I am 270--looking for that 163 lb goal. I am hoping to make it to that 2.5 pounds a week thing. I would be very successfull if I do.

Hey fellas..just wanted to congradulate Jack on his first post-op BM. Glad everything came out allright ;]

:clap2: WOW, what a GREAT DAY !!:clap2: I start mushies today and had my 1st real BM today!:nervous Things are going good for me , still no pain just a little gas pain now and then. I have a little bruising around the port area and only one other area, not bad 2 out of 5. If any one go's to TJ Mexico for there band and have to stay in a Hotel ,DON'T stay at the Palacio Azteca,( The Hotel Is Nice But) unless you like the noise from the street all night long and very hard beds..Ask you Dr. to stay some place different, if the hotel is included in the package . Ted

Congrats Ted!!! That 1st BM is awesome, right?!:dance:

Is it normal to have swelling around the port incision? If I touch the area around it I can feel a little lump, which at first I though was the actual port but it's just below the surface of the skin so I assume it's swelling. The port should be deeper than that, right?

I'm surprised how much I dont mind mushies so far. I'm sure my tune will change after a couple days, but so far so good.

My wife has been eating very healthy with me over the whole course of preparing for this surgery so after she went out yesterday in 0 degree weather with -15 wind chill to buy me a food processor and some misc groceries, I ordered her some baked mostaccioli and cheese bread from our favorite Italian restaurant and had it delivered when she got home. WOW, it's amazing how good things smell when you cant have them!!!!! I did nibble (chew to oblivion) on a little piece of melted cheese from her bread and a tiny little chunk of mostaccioli. Holy cow was that good.

She felt so guilty about eating this food in front of me, but I told her that it's something that I had to accept when I made the decision to have this procedure. I will have to suffer for a while, but I know it's for the greater good. Besides, my appetite is almost non-existant right now 3 days post-op.

Jeff

I have to say, you guys are on mushies WAY faster than I was. I tried mushies after about 10 days on liquids and still could not get them down. I'm 2 1/2 weeks out and just beginning now on things like scrambled eggs.

I have to say, most doctors recommend quite a bit more time to let the stomach heal before moving to mushies. But each doctor is different, and you guys seems to be doing OK with what you are doing. So, enjoy!

I have to say, you guys are on mushies WAY faster than I was. I tried mushies after about 10 days on liquids and still could not get them down. I'm 2 1/2 weeks out and just beginning now on things like scrambled eggs.

I have to say, most doctors recommend quite a bit more time to let the stomach heal before moving to mushies. But each doctor is different, and you guys seems to be doing OK with what you are doing. So, enjoy!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does puree'd chicken w/broth, puree'd shrimp with broth, and puree'd low carb Soup all qualify as mushies...or liquids?

Basically I'm following the big pamphlet of information that the doctor gave me and puree'd Proteins is what is on the menu for the 3 weeks following surgery. I've had no problems this far (knock knock knock on wood). Thanks!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does puree'd chicken w/broth, puree'd shrimp with broth, and puree'd low carb Soup all qualify as mushies...or liquids?

Basically I'm following the big pamphlet of information that the doctor gave me and puree'd Proteins is what is on the menu for the 3 weeks following surgery. I've had no problems this far (knock knock knock on wood). Thanks!

Over the last few weeks as I've read this forum the advice I see most often is "follow your doctor's instructions." So, if pureed chicken w/broth is on your doctor's list, I say go for it.

As for whether it is a liquid or a mushy, I would say it probably just depends on how thick it is.

One thing to consider is whether chicken, even in a pureed form, may require digestive effort for your stomach. I think it is this stomach churning that people are generally supposed to try and avoid for a while after surgery. But I have no idea how this should apply to you in particular. I just know that for me, it would have been a bit tough to deal with that type of food for at least a week or ten days after surgery. If you are feeling good eating that, then it is probably fine.

I had my first mushies (well smooth like to go through a straw) this morning. I had 1 cup of coffee and sipped it for almost an hour, then had 1/4 cup of Gerber oatmeal baby Cereal and a little Jello. Jeff (want the band) The more liquid you add to your puree food mix will change it from mushies to almost full liquids. You will have to decide what you can tolerate and adjust the liquid content. Ted