Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Instructions for a fill adjustment

The idea behind the band is not to fill yourself as quickly as you can so you can, and lose a tonne of weight in the first 6 month.

The idea is that as you are filled slowly you adjust your lifestyle and eating habits, and thus, lose weight.

It matters not if you have a 4cc band, AP, or a VG, the theory is the same. Small fills, at least 4 weeks apart, lifestyle and eating adjustments, and of course, exercise.

Putting the notion out there that if you don't like what your doctor says and does or his/her protocol, just fill yourself, is to be blunt, STUPID.

I don't care where you go the information from, or how accurate and reliable it is (or is not) It goes against what every bandster is told.

The last thing I will say is, anyone who fills themselves is asking for all the trouble they get.

You sound too prejudiced to talk to. I have over 10 years of college education. I just state facts, not hear-say. English is my second language, but it does not mean that I can not read and understand a written scientific material. Good luck to you.

Prejudiced? Me? :D

Given I don't have 10 years in Uni, my doctor gave me a list of 10 things I should never, ever do for myself, but go to a doctor for.

1. Vasectomy

2. Hysterectomy

3. Open heart surgery

4. Filling my own teeth

5. Pulling out my own teeth

6. Putting in my own IUD

7. Taking out my appendix

8. Kidney transplant

9. My own C section

10. Filling my own band

As long as I do what my doctor says, and it keeps me alive, and my band in good serviceable condition, I am A OK with you thinking I am prejudiced.

Prejudiced? Me? :D

Given I don't have 10 years in Uni, my doctor gave me a list of 10 things I should never, ever do for myself, but go to a doctor for.

1. Vasectomy

2. Hysterectomy

3. Open heart surgery

4. Filling my own teeth

6. Putting in my own IUD

8. Kidney transplant

9. My own C section

10. Filling my own band

As long as I do what my doctor says, and it keeps me alive, and my band in good serviceable condition, I am A OK with you thinking I am prejudiced.

Are you open-minded person, and do you do your own research, or just follow the directions given by whomever is superior to you.

I believe facts based on scientific research, I read them, search them, I read real-life experiences, with an open mind I do what I believe. In my case What I did was correct , though was risky (beareble in my case). I would prefer the doc did it, but I did it because I had good information, and little uncertainity, and a bad doc.

Best luck to you.

Thanks for the information. I would never do my own fill, but I appreciate the link to the photos of how a fill is done, especially since I have not had one yet. If someone choses to take this information and use it unwisely, that's their problem, and not kbattal's fault.

Many of us in this forum have the good fortune to be living in America with good health care. If we don't like or agree with our doctor, we have the option of finding another doctor. So let's not be so critical of those who don't have our advantages. It's easy to judge when we're not in that situation ourselves.

Thanks for the information. I would never do my own fill, but I appreciate the link to the photos of how a fill is done, especially since I have not had one yet. If someone choses to take this information and use it unwisely, that's their problem, and not kbattal's fault.

Many of us in this forum have the good fortune to be living in America with good health care. If we don't like or agree with our doctor, we have the option of finding another doctor. So let's not be so critical of those who don't have our advantages. It's easy to judge when we're not in that situation ourselves.

My problem is with this person advocating self fills. Saying that is a good option if you disagree with your surgeon. (I remember reading somewhere that he does have options for professional fills, but prefers his own fills)

And for the record, I do not live in America. I am not American. And even saying that Americans have better choices than the rest of the world is funny. Have you seen the amount of posters bemoaning not being able to find a fill doctor? In some ways, if you want a fill by any other doctor than the one who banded you, you may as well give up.

So, should the (hypothetical) Bandster who cannot get a fill with a doctor (that they 1. like, and 2 agree with) they should just grab any old needle, fill said needle up from the tap, and sick a needle in their belly hoping that they find their port?

I am against this information being put up as a how to guide. If it had been titled "How the professionals do your fills" or something like that, and a disclaimer put up that it really is a bad idea to do your own fills, and this is just something cool to know, I don't know that I would have had such a problem.

But this guy, fills himself, and then tells the rest of the community that it is a great alternative to putting up with your arrogant surgeon / doctor (if I did my own procedure every time I ran up against an arrogant doc....)

My problem is with this person advocating self fills. Saying that is a good option if you disagree with your surgeon. (I remember reading somewhere that he does have options for professional fills, but prefers his own fills)

And for the record, I do not live in America. I am not American. And even saying that Americans have better choices than the rest of the world is funny. Have you seen the amount of posters bemoaning not being able to find a fill doctor?

Kbattal's very first sentence in this thread is this: "The following site is a good source for information for a nurse or a doctor to do fills correctly." (emphasis added) I did not get the impression that kbattal was recommending self-fills to the rest of us.

I did not say that Americans have better choices than the rest of the world. Those of us in America (or any other country for that matter) with good health care have more options, and we are fortunate to have such a thing. Kbattal clearly does not have that advantage since he said that the nearest fill doctor is 500 km from him.

Yes, I have seen lots of posts from Americans bemoaning the lack of fill doctors. Not everyone in America lives in a large city with lots of options. Not everyone in America has good health care. And the band is still relatively new in the U.S. The more popular it becomes, the more fill doctors we'll have. It's just going to take some time.

I have no personal knowledge of the conditions in Romania or what options Kbattal may have available to him. That's why I'm trying not to judge him despite the fact that I would never take the same risk that he did. I just think you're being a little too hard him. Putting him on the defensive won't encourage him to stop his risky behavior.

Kbattal's very first sentence in this thread is this: "The following site is a good source for information for a nurse or a doctor to do fills correctly." (emphasis added) I did not get the impression that kbattal was recommending self-fills to the rest of us.

I did not say that Americans have better choices than the rest of the world. Those of us in America (or any other country for that matter) with good health care have more options, and we are fortunate to have such a thing. Kbattal clearly does not have that advantage since he said that the nearest fill doctor is 500 km from him.

Yes, I have seen lots of posts from Americans bemoaning the lack of fill doctors. Not everyone in America lives in a large city with lots of options. Not everyone in America has good health care. And the band is still relatively new in the U.S. The more popular it becomes, the more fill doctors we'll have. It's just going to take some time.

I have no personal knowledge of the conditions in Romania or what options Kbattal may have available to him. That's why I'm trying not to judge him despite the fact that I would never take the same risk that he did. I just think you're being a little too hard him. Putting him on the defensive won't encourage him to stop his risky behavior.

Amen to that! Surely most people have enough smarts to know not to do a self fill? ;)

The thing that amazes me is that he will do it himself, but he is very concerned about the doctor's he goes to and wether they have the proper radiology equipement and all. Does he have that equipement himself? Personally I would drive 1000 miles rather than do it myself.

The thing that amazes me is that he will do it himself, but he is very concerned about the doctor's he goes to and wether they have the proper radiology equipement and all. Does he have that equipement himself? Personally I would drive 1000 miles rather than do it myself.

I still can not understand why it is so difficult. It was very simple. Just look at the picture. New VG band ports are realy safe.

http://www.allerganandinamed.com/products/obesity/us/clinician/lapband/prodinfo.html

post-211976-13813134596695_thumb.jpg

well, if research was done on the internet, then what is the problem. I mean, isn't everything we read on the internet 100% fact. come on guys, cut him some slack. :)

Kbattal,

you seem to bring up the topic of self fills often, may I ask why?

I am no longer bringing it up.

After my third fill, the doc did under fluoro, I am properly restricted now. I just feel like I do not need another fill at least another 3 months. But I can tolerate many foods as long as I can chew well, and eat slowly, and can not eat food more than the size of one half of an apple, and then my hunger goes away. I have 45 pounds more to lose the get below 25 BMI, so really I am done with fills, at least I hope so.

Enterprise:

I agree with you. Somehow Kbattal was just trying to be helpful. And here we all are big boys and girls is not like we are going to pull a "monkey see, monkey do"thing.

Now...

Originally Posted by Chickie viewpost.gif

Prejudiced? Me? :mad:

1. Vasectomy

2. Hysterectomy

3. Open heart surgery

4. Filling my own teeth

6. Putting in my own IUD

8. Kidney transplant

9. My own C section

10. Filling my own band

I have to add that Chickie is hilarious!!!!!!! And that if you decide to enter this lap/talk you have to be ready to deal with other people's opinion... let's don't get mad .

About me doing my own body lift....