Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Instructions for a fill adjustment

The following site is a good source for information for a nurse or a doctor to do fills correctly. I had to do it myself but I was forced to. For information purposes only. There are 15 pages.

http://lapbandtransformation.com/adj1.htm

You might also try to put 5 fingers of your less dominant hand around the port, feel it, as the patient bends, you will find the port better, press your fingers around the port in circle, you will feel the circular quarter shape, just about a quarter size, level it, so that with your right hand you can insert a noncore needle in the midlle of the septrum perpendicularly, insert till you hit the metal part of the port, just about an inch, do not use force, VG bands are low pressure ports, inject the saline with little force. For 4cc bands you might need a little more force because they are under pressure,use much less saline as the doc instructs. The Needle is for single use, properly dispose it.

Disclaimer: For nurse and praticiners education only, patients need to know what professional do, isometime they mess up, and quite often poke around a lot.

post-211976-13813134593185_thumb.jpg

post-211976-13813134593288_thumb.jpg

post-211976-13813134593409_thumb.jpg

My port was easy to locate. I do not recommend everyone, but I thought it was too easy. I used to inject to my brother haliperidol.

There are similar ports and the similar fills for cancer chemotherapy patients, there are so many instructions in internet for those. I thought the risk too minimal, afterall I feel my own port better than a nurse or a doctor.

Honestly, I have to say that it bothers me to see instructions on how to give yourself a fill posted here. What's next? How to install your own band?? YIKES! :rolleyes::) :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Honestly, I have to say that it bothers me to see instructions on how to give yourself a fill posted here. What's next? How to install your own band?? YIKES! :rolleyes::) :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Well, I gusess you are too spoiled, you live in the states, I live in Romania, and I do not have acces to a proper fill doctor at 500 radius. Best wishes for you.

I do not recommend that anyone perform their own fills. If only for the fact that the surgeon who banded you may not want to "fix" what you have done, should you puncture your tubing. As well as this, they have their own fill protocol for a reason. It is usually what they have seen work the best.

Filing yourself is a very bad idea. Doctors go to medical school for years to learn how to do things like this, as do nurses (nursing school).

I think that this information is something interesting to know, but should not be used as a "how to fill yourself" guide.

I do not recommend that anyone perform their own fills. If only for the fact that the surgeon who banded you may not want to "fix" what you have done, should you puncture your tubing. As well as this, they have their own fill protocol for a reason. It is usually what they have seen work the best.

Filing yourself is a very bad idea. Doctors go to medical school for years to learn how to do things like this, as do nurses (nursing school).

I think that this information is something interesting to know, but should not be used as a "how to fill yourself" guide.

I find the convenience of filling oneself very appealing, and it is not a rocket science. I am wondered why anyone of you even not tried it. Maybe you nullify the insurance. The cost are too high in the USA. This might be main reason.

The whole process is very cheap here in Romania, about 2500 dollars. The cost is not issue for me. The issue is finding anyone well experienced in fills who is willing to fill me. Very few banders are around here. I would more trust myself than any nurse who does fills around here. They would have so little experience, and particularly not well educated and ethical around here. They might poke around more than me if they do it blindly I am afraid.

Think about it.

I do not find the idea appealing. In fact I find it appalling.

You are not (I assume) a medical professional. Therefore you should not be performing medical services on yourself or anyone else. The risk of screwing things up is too high.

For me it is not an insurance issue, nor is it the risk of upsetting my doctor, it is simply that I have the common sense to *not* perform a medical procedure on myself. I would not let anyone but my surgeon do my fills, to be honest.

And to the whole process being cheap. Well it is cheap enough here too, but I am certain that if I were to need a replacement band / port / whatever, the risk of another surgery would be on my mind, along with the cost. Cheap or not.

I have thought about the idea of filling myself, and discounted it straight away. I feel it is a risk I would rather not take.

And if after-care is such an issue where you live, perhaps the band was not the best choice for you due to the amount of follow up required?

I do not find the idea appealing. In fact I find it appalling.

You are not (I assume) a medical professional. Therefore you should not be performing medical services on yourself or anyone else. The risk of screwing things up is too high.

For me it is not an insurance issue, nor is it the risk of upsetting my doctor, it is simply that I have the common sense to *not* perform a medical procedure on myself. I would not let anyone but my surgeon do my fills, to be honest.

And to the whole process being cheap. Well it is cheap enough here too, but I am certain that if I were to need a replacement band / port / whatever, the risk of another surgery would be on my mind, along with the cost. Cheap or not.

I have thought about the idea of filling myself, and discounted it straight away. I feel it is a risk I would rather not take.

And if after-care is such an issue where you live, perhaps the band was not the best choice for you due to the amount of follow up required?

I am not a medical prefessional, but a biostatistician. I used to work in the University of Florida, Gainesville, in the early 90s.

You may still right in your mind, but I still think in my case,

-- the possibilty of puncturing the tube --> almost zero

-- the possibilty of port infection, bacteria --> minumum (less than 1%)

-- the possibilty of port leak --> low (less than 10)

(I am usually conservative in my predictions-estimates.)

There are other risks, ofcourse, but I can control them myself.

But the convenience of doing my own fills is too tempting.

A risk is still a risk no matter the numbers.

And that is assuming that

1. You are trained.

2. You are using the correct needle.

3. The fill needle and saline are sterile.

You claim to have enough knowledge to fill yourself, but think of the others you may encourage to fill themselves who do not. Think of the financial repercussions, the risk of infection, and re operation.

This is serious stuff. Not to be messed with, and you post a how to guide?

If a person wants to know badly enough, they can search the net themselves. I find this highly irresponsible.

1. You are trained.

You claim to have enough knowledge to fill yourself, but think of the others you may encourage to fill themselves who do not. Think of the financial repercussions, the risk of infection, and re operation.

If a person wants to know badly enough, they can search the net themselves. I find this highly irresponsible.

I agree.... this has NO place here.

1. You are trained.

I searched the internet how to do it, and what are the risks involved with it. I did my own fill. I still think it is not too risky for me. Will I do it again? I might, but I will search a private clinic to do it first. Will I drive 400 miles to do it. I might if only they have proper radiologic equipment.

Dorin

I sympatize with you Chickie but I live in Romania at this time, If i had a good fill doctor who was willing to fill my large VG band, I would never think about filling myself in the first place. My doc told me it was his policy to fill the VG band 2cc after 2 months, and and 1cc after 6 months. And he told me many times he wouldnt change his policy because of me. I think this is a bad judgment on his part. I know Inamed instructs doctors differently for VG bands.This is how the state run health system works. Almost no customer service. There are very few private clinics, I found a private clinic who does bariatic surgery, but it is too far away, 400 miles away, in Cluj.

Then I searched the internet how to do it, and what are the risks involved with it. I did my own fill. I still think it is not too risky for me. Will I do it again? I might, but I will search a private clinic to do it first. Will I drive 400 miles to do it. I might if only they have proper radiologic equipment.

Dorin

I do not need your sympathy. I am pointing out that *if* someone wanted to try this, the information is out there, and they could find it for themselves.

I do not think that the how to guide is appropriate for this forum. The makers of the band do not guarantee any of the parts should you fill yourself. This goes against what every single banded person is told.

If you want to fill yourself till you explode, I don't care. What I do care about is the fact that by posting this information you are proving one of the old wives tails about the band to be true. (Most people have been told by someone that an Aunt, cousin ect. that they know of has a band and unfills themselves when they want to have a big meal, then tops up again after... )

If you want to do this go for it. But keep it to yourself. Please.

And remember, your doctor has a fill protocol for a reason. They do not just say "Oh, they have to wait x amount of weeks between fills" for no good reason. They do things their way because it is what in their experience works.

And remember, your doctor has a fill protocol for a reason. They do not just say "Oh, they have to wait x amount of weeks between fills" for no good reason. They do things their way because it is what in their experience works.

I have no intention of filling and unfilling myself when appropriate. This just increases the risks. I just think I am wide open, and there are times that I can eat as much as I used to do usually in the evenings. Nothing of a restriction to speak of.

The problem is that I do not trust the doctor's judgment, or accept his reasoning, everyone is different. His policy is fixed and the same for everyone. Many doctors have different opinions on the subject, even the Inamed people says VG band is for fatter stomacs, they should put 4cc after 6 weeks. Even a VG band filled with 4cc does not have the same tightness with the other bands with no fill. He is just a doctor who was raised in a state run health system.

Besides the site that I stated is vey instructional. There are many good radiologic pictures about complications.

http://lapbandtransformation.com/adj8.htm

The problem is that I do not trust the doctor's judgment, or accept his reasoning, everyone is different. His policy is fixed and the same for everyone. Many doctors have different opinions on the subject, even the Inamed people says VG band is for fatter stomacs, they should put 4cc after 6 weeks. Even a VG band filled with 4cc does not have the same tightness with the other bands with no fill. He is just a doctor who was raised in a state run health system.

Besides the site that I stated is vey instructional. There are many good radiologic pictures about complications.

http://lapbandtransformation.com/adj8.htm

The idea behind the band is not to fill yourself as quickly as you can so you can, and lose a tonne of weight in the first 6 month.

The idea is that as you are filled slowly you adjust your lifestyle and eating habits, and thus, lose weight.

It matters not if you have a 4cc band, AP, or a VG, the theory is the same. Small fills, at least 4 weeks apart, lifestyle and eating adjustments, and of course, exercise.

Putting the notion out there that if you don't like what your doctor says and does or his/her protocol, just fill yourself, is to be blunt, STUPID.

I don't care where you go the information from, or how accurate and reliable it is (or is not) It goes against what every bandster is told.

The last thing I will say is, anyone who fills themselves is asking for all the trouble they get.