Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Roux En Y After Lapband

I had a lapband for 3 years. I LOVED IT AND WAS SO SUCCESSFUL WITH IT! IT WAS SUCH A PHENOMENAL TOOL! Unfortunately, I had some serious GI problems which resulted in a complete GI blockage. I was hospitalized to have the blockage and lapband removed. Because of these problems, I am no longer a candidate for lapband. And, my surgeon feels that the sleeve would also not be a good choice. (WIthout my wonderful lapband tool, I have gained much of the weight back.) I am looking for anyone who might have gone to Roux en Y after lapband and any guidance, opinions and advice you might have.

Thank you.

I am in a similar situation. I had the band in May 2009, in May 2012 the port got infected( had to removed)and the next month the band eroded and it also had to be removed. I am going through all the testing for a gastric in June or possibly July. Support from people isnt too strong due to the previous problems but I have put all my weight back on. I had great success with the band. SW-222 and ENDING WEIGHT 145!! I miss the band, would love to keep in touch I really need a WLS buddy, Dawn

Hi Dawn!

I thought I was the only one who had experienced this! I know how excited you felt about reaching goal with the band! I did also! I am working towards the approval for the roux en y now also. I am hoping for approval in July, however, with the demands of work that I probably won't be able to have the surgery until the end of September or Early October. I've also gained back most of the weight (I am fighting to keep off the last 40 lbs and really want to lose before surgery, but it (once again) is a HUGE battle!

Looks like we'll be going through this together!

Goldenmom

I'm there with you gals. I had my lapband put in place Feb 2006, had to have revision surgery Dec 2008 because of a slight slip and then an emergency surgery to remove it in Jan 2010 because of a really bad prolaps to the point where the acid was cooking me from the inside out and I couldn't keep anything down. I've gained all but 20 pounds of what I lose :( I'm in the process of going through the loops to get the gastric bypass or revision from lapband to gastric bypass as my surgeon is calling it. It's considered revision even though I no longer have the band. I've gone to quite a few appointments already and have 1 more visit each to the nutritionist and therapist, have to attend one post op meeting prior to surgery and have to complete reading 1 required book. The hardest thing.....I have to lose 20-24 pounds before the surgery will be allowed. I know it's so that my liver will shrink but, man this is the hardest part. Nutritionist has me taking 1 Protein Shake to replace a meal and to stick with Proteins over carbs. Keep it low carb much like Atkins. I"d love to keep in touch with you folks as well if you're game :)

Hi Dawn and LosingIt,

I am sorry for what each of you went through. However, I do have to say that it is comforting that I am not alone. I should be ready for approval in June. However, due to work issues, I really could not have the surgery until early October. So, I am delaying the Psychological Exam, Upper GI, and sleep study until close to June. I was told that approval is good for 6 months.

I have to admit, I am a bit nervous about bypass--even though my surgeon says it is reversible and he feels will be better for me than the sleeve (because of the band issues), it seems so much more drastic than the band. And, the band was such a great tool--I just did NOT feel hungry once my fill was at the right spot. I worry that I won't have that same full or not hungry feeling. (I have read and and seen so many cases of bypass failing--i.e. Carnie Wilson.) But, I love being healthy and able to hike for miles and feeling good about myself. Our dietician said that she thinks bypass does a better job of eliminating hunger. She said that I will not feel hungry at all--and, in fact, will need to make myself eat in the beginning. (I'm more worried about it after I've adapted to the bypass.) And, my surgeon said the same. They both also said tha, since I had been wildly successful with the band, I should be wildly successful with the bypass.)

Thanks so much!

goldenmom

Omg, I'm NOT alone :) I have the lap band and I was doing great (sw 230) then I got pregnant got my band unfilled and well now I've gained it all back well, I'm at 210, my baby is 2 now. My band has a slight slip, I can't get anymore fills and I can't get under 200lbs:( so I'm waiting on an approval from bcbs of AL to see if they'll cover my revision. I'm so anxious to get this done and be back on my way to my goal weight, it's like starting all over and I feel like a loser cause I have family (who are all thin, btw) saying stuff like I should give up, I already tried to be skinny I'm not built that way and what if this fails :( but I'm not giving up!

Hello raquelrdgz...nope you're not alone! How are you doing with the insurance stuff?

Hello raquelrdgz...nope you're not alone! How are you doing with the insurance stuff?

Still waiting :( I tried to read over the BCBS AL to see if I can find an answer but it'd all so confusing, hope I get a response this week, I'm so ready!

Have you had it done or waiting?!

Greetings All,

So sorry I have been out of the loop for so long (since April)! Too much work plus--probably like all of us! I decided that I did not want to wait until the fall. I have completed my 6 months of classes and I've had ALL of my testing, classes, exams and primary care MD approval, and I am scheduled for July! I talked about how I would have to wait until after October with my surgeon's office since I will have too many days on my feet from August to end of October and they got me scheduled in for July. It comes in the middle of my kids' sports' travel events, but I have figured out what to do before I go back to work in August. I am actually really excited. I am just waiting for the final okay from insurance.

I have to tell you that, in all of the classes, and all of the different health care folks with whom I've spoken, have told me that since I did so well on the band, as long as I follow the guidelines and rules as I did with the band, I should be just as successful with roux-en-y. I had thought that the band was supposed to be easier to stick to the plan than the roux-en-y, but each has told me that the opposite is true. I especially wanted to share this with all of you since we all had success on the band until we hit the unforeseen complications and problems. I hope you are each finding your way through the maze to approval also!

Warmly,

goldenmom

hi guys try asking in the post op forum, I've seen quite a few people that had revisions in there, good luck:-)

Greetings...Had my band in 2006. Did well 256 lb. to 175lbs. Loved it but then started having problems. Gained back all. 45 lbs. I am now going to have a revision to the bypass on Wednesday. Nervous. I have been drinking Protein Shakes 2 a day and a lean supper with veggies. I have lost about 8 lbs in a week so hopefully I will be good. Can't wait to not have reflux and sliming.