Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone feel wierd not having all the preop appts when going to mexico?

Just curious who feels weird just doing a post op the morning of surgery? I mean u see what a pain is to go through insurance in the states but also worried what they might need to know something about you and don't in Mexico? Hard to do the research all on your own, but grateful it's not taking over your life like with surgeon, nutritionist, psychological ect. Wish there could just be a middle ground? :)

That is strange. There are a few people I have met on here that are still doing the pre-appnts (i.e., upper GI's and endoscopy) before they go to Mexico. I wonder why some doctors in Mexico have such a difference in requirements. Strange. Do you have any co-morbidities?

Well, my doctor did an online evaluation of me before approval. I do not have any co morbidities so I'm not worried. However if I did, I might feel a bit under tested pre op.

my understanding is that all those tests will take place on the morning prior to surgery and if there are any problems, the surgery is postponed. I actually prefer less fuss. But honestly, in the back of my mind... I'm thinking... Shouldn't we have had the tests here in the US before getting all the way to Mexico just to possibly get turned around?

My doctor, louisianna Valenzuela has turned ppl away for being under 30 BMI and being anemic etc. seems like these things should have been determined beforehand. Oh well...

Still I feel comfortable with the process, it'll be fine.

I think it depends on your health. I was going to do lap band 2 years ago in the states. I went through the entire 6 month deal and it was a joke. It was just a formality for insurance.

IfI had serious conditions then I would certainly want my surgeon aware of them and would ask my local docs to give me permission. BUT this surgery is performed on some of the most unhealthy ppl. Some will literally die without it so I don't think there are too many things that would stop them.

I think if you healthy enough then it's not a big deal. If you have health problems my doctor would make you get clearance before doing the surgery. I think 1/2 of the things the insurance puts you though are ridiculous. Of course it is up to the individual having surgery in Mexico to be honest about their health when filling out the forms. As a precaution I myself went to my pcp and had blood work, EKG, and chest x ray before going to Mexico that was covered by my insurance.

Being a husband an wife team, where I was sleeved in the us and although self pay had surgeon required testing and my hubby sleeved in TJ we saw both sides. He had a general health check by our PCP before deciding to go and his surgeon did a health evaluation online before accepting him and giving a surgery date. The day before surgery in TJ the did blood work, an EKG, as well as chest X-rays. Which aside from a gallbladder ultrasound are all of the tests I had. So some of the surgeons are doing this testing and an patient at the hotel he was at had a delayed surgery due to blood work, so it makes me think it's not all a snip and clip type industry as many believe.

When you go to Mexico your surgeon there is taking all the precautions needed to make your surgery a success. They do an EKG, bloodwork and I also had an endoscopy performed. I am very glad that I did have it done by the Mexican doctor as he was the one performing the surgery and he had the results at hand. I don't think they take the surgery lightly but also all the pre-op in the states is to hopefully help you be successful. In Mexico you have to have the self desire and knowledge to do it mostly on your own.

I had my surgery in the states, however if I did not have insurance approval and I had the money upfront I probably would have gone to Mexico. There are a lot of people on here that are having tremendous success so they must be doing everything right in Mexico. I do feel that it takes a special type of person to go this route. Getting your head around your diet and eating habits and maintaining a conscious and continuous effort to change from the old habits/diet is KEY. Congratulations to everyone that is able to make this choice for themselves!! I firmly believe this is a tool to be respected and not a stand alone cure!

In most cases its not the doctors that require all the pre op things its the insurance company.... im sure if the doctors didn't have to do it most wouldn't...

I am a self pay and mexico is where I am having my surgery, I think the pre op things can make it more stressful for a lot of folks, being a nurse that has no health issues other that being fat..lol.. I love not having to go through all the red tape... as far as what I can tell it all depends on the person because you still have to make ur mind up to be successful or to fail.. u can do either with pre op or no pre op!

Hmmm, I'm self-pay but having the surgery done stateside. My surgeon is still having me go through the psychological and physical evaluations as well as having nutrition counseling before my actual surgery. I figure that this pre-op testing and information is helpful to the surgeon who is trying to capture the best "snapshot" of me and my health. When I was considering surgery in Mexico, the surgeon I was looking at required most of the same tests the day before or sent via email. It can be stressful about thinking about the process of gathering all this medical history or the actual tests that will be given to me before I'm "approved" for self-pay, but it is what it is.

At 66 and from a medical family, 3 of whom have been sleeved, I felt very confident that all would go well.

It did. I'm 5 days out and home now. Very little discomfort, no issues. i don't need the support of the doctors, I have that from my family.