Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 weeks post op and eating too much!

Yesterday has been weighing on my mind all night. My husband had asked me to make him tacos for dinner. No problem. A few days prior I had been cleared to eat regular food. I thought I would be able to make myself a taco with soft shell. To my suprise I was able to eat the whole thing. Maybe an hour or less I was hungry or craving again and I was able to eat another. After a while I ate again but just the meat, no shell because it dawned on me finally to look at the nutritional facts on the box giving me a rude awakening.

I don't know how I was able to eat so much. How could my stomach hold so much food only 4 weeks out. By the end of the day my scale went up almost 2 lbs.

That was all I ate all day though. I had meals in the form of Protein drinks and juiced greens.

Also I feel a bit hormonal and I feel like I am going through PMS. I have pcos.

Is this normal?

I'm only pre op but I've read a lot of people can do this. Don't knock yourself down. You recognized that you can eat that much do now get back on track. Are you getting in all of your liquids?

Grazing isn't good. Make your meal, measure and log it and give yourself 30-45 minutes to eat it. When meal time is over, no more food until the next meal or snack. Make sure you are taking your PPI as acid mimics hunger and it could what you are eating that is creating the "hunger" you think you feel. :)

Are you drinking before/with/after your meal?

Grazing isn't good. Make your meal' date=' measure and log it and give yourself 30-45 minutes to eat it. When meal time is over, no more food until the next meal or snack. Make sure you are taking your PPI as acid mimics hunger and it could what you are eating that is creating the "hunger" you think you feel. :)

Are you drinking before/with/after your meal?[/quote']

Other than the past two days I have not been eating hardly. At least not to the point where I felt like I had been binging. My surgeon put me on stage 2 puree diet the day after surgery and after about two weeks I seemed to be able to eat a good amount. Sometimes I felt I was overeating based on what my expectations were prior to surgery. But the PA told me I was doing fine and that when I went solids I would be eating less. My weight loss stalled for two weeks. So I stopped eating so much meat (which they said I could not eat anything else). I finally lost 3 lbs. But last night I don't know what happened.

I drink before and I wait 20-30 min before drinking after my meal.

I'm only pre op but I've read a lot of people can do this. Don't knock yourself down. You recognized that you can eat that much do now get back on track. Are you getting in all of your liquids?

I think I should drink more liquids. I havent reached 64 oz a day yet but I'm working on it.

I think I should drink more liquids. I havent reached 64 oz a day yet but I'm working on it.

I hear it's hard. But you'll get it in soon enough. It's funny because prior to surgery most people didn't worry about the scale going up lol. Good luck.

I haven't tried a taco shell but I can eat a lot more ground beef than I can of say, chicken or fish. Two things there for me. One is that it's so finely ground compared to a piece of chicken. But I also messed up one time and bought meat with more fat, I think it was 80/20 ground round imstead of lean meat, and the fat makes it go down easier for me. I have to watch out for it.

I don't know how much you stuffed your taco but there was probably what? 2-3 oz of meat in each taco? That's not a lot. If you wrapped it in a tortilla, it may be that's a slider for you? I know people say it fills their tummy but maybe it doesn't for you. Or maybe you just ate it over too long and ended up grazing.

Bottom line, it may not have much quite as much meat as you think, you may need to avoid tortillas, and as Lipstick lady says, no grazing.

Also no beating yourself up. You're 4 weeks out, we are all learning how this works. I'm 8 weeks out and learn something about my new tummy every day. It's all good.

I haven't tried a taco shell but I can eat a lot more ground beef than I can of say' date=' chicken or fish. Two things there for me. One is that it's so finely ground compared to a piece of chicken. But I also messed up one time and bought meat with more fat, I think it was 80/20 ground round imstead of lean meat, and the fat makes it go down easier for me. I have to watch out for it.

I don't know how much you stuffed your taco but there was probably what? 2-3 oz of meat in each taco? That's not a lot. If you wrapped it in a tortilla, it may be that's a slider for you? I know people say it fills their tummy but maybe it doesn't for you. Or maybe you just ate it over too long and ended up grazing.

Bottom line, it may not have much quite as much meat as you think, you may need to avoid tortillas, and as Lipstick lady says, no grazing.

Also no beating yourself up. You're 4 weeks out, we are all learning how this works. I'm 8 weeks out and learn something about my new tummy every day. It's all good.[/quote']

Thanks. I dont remember what spoon I used, but it was either a tea or tablespoon. I put about 2-3 in each taco.

I wont be eating any more soft taco any time soon. I think you are right about the tortilla being a slider for me. It just went down too easy and too fast. No upset stomach or vomiting.

Grazing might be an issue sometimes due to old bad habits, but I know I can get it under control. I usually stay between 600-900 calories per day. Maybe I'm just freaking out because I ate way more than I thought I ever could again. I dont want the surgery to be a waste. Thats my big fear right now. Im so use to failing at this wl thing.

Thanks. I dont remember what spoon I used' date=' but it was either a tea or tablespoon. I put about 2-3 in each taco. I wont be eating any more soft taco any time soon. I think you are right about the tortilla being a slider for me. It just went down too easy and too fast. No upset stomach or vomiting. Grazing might be an issue sometimes due to old bad habits, but I know I can get it under control. I usually stay between 600-900 calories per day. Maybe I'm just freaking out because I ate way more than I thought I ever could again. I dont want the surgery to be a waste. Thats my big fear right now. Im so use to failing at this wl thing.[/quote']

Oh I know that fear! I have lost 34 lbs which I have never been able to do--but I'm still sure I will fail because I've failed so often at WL.

If you're getting 600-900, really you're doing just fine.

Definitely measure, without it, you really have no idea what you are actually eating. My kids love any Mexican and I cook it regularly. I love it, too, because there is a lot of flavor and I can actually eat hamburger. When I measure the meat in a taco, it's usually only about an ounce or an ounce and a half so you are probably eating less than you think. (A burrito is another story.)

I personally make taco-less tacos. I spray pam a little ramekin and then layer 2oz of meat, a half ounce of cheese, and 1/8 cup of Beans, a half ounce of cheese and then microwave for a few second to melt the cheese. I then top it with pico de gallo, maybe lettuce, thinly sliced onion, a bit of guacamole and maybe some sour cream. I can rarely finish it, but it's great for Breakfast the next day.

Basically everything I eat I record it in an app on my phone. For some reason yesterday I just went overboard during dinner. I really was just craving like I was going through compulsive eating again. I really wanted a slice of chocolate cake lol. The first time I had ever craved sweets since surgery. I guess the tortilla shell was satisfying my carb craving. I have pcos and my menstrual usually never comes. But I do get very hormonal with or without the period - bloating, serious cravings. I felt it coming on, but I was suprised that the sleeve didn't stop me in my tracks while I indulged. I worry about this and what this means going forward.

Thanks. I dont remember what spoon I used' date=' but it was either a tea or tablespoon. I put about 2-3 in each taco. I wont be eating any more soft taco any time soon. I think you are right about the tortilla being a slider for me. It just went down too easy and too fast. No upset stomach or vomiting. Grazing might be an issue sometimes due to old bad habits, but I know I can get it under control. I usually stay between 600-900 calories per day. Maybe I'm just freaking out because I ate way more than I thought I ever could again. I dont want the surgery to be a waste. Thats my big fear right now. Im so use to failing at this wl thing.[/quote']

That's the way I felt in the beginning too. I was so used to failing at weight loss. So every week when I got on the scale I was in awe that I kept losing weight. Now, 14 pounds from goal and almost 10 months out, I still am getting those little surprises and always wonder when they're going to stop. We're so used to failing its hard to wrap our heads around getting there.

You'll do great with your new tool. You just need to learn how to use it. Remember, Protein first and veggies if you have room. No grazing and stay away from bad carbs until maintenance. You can do it!!

I have all the same worries and I also really struggle with cravings at TOM.... I know that doesn't help, except to tell you that you aren't alone. Hang in there.

That's the way I felt in the beginning too. I was so used to failing at weight loss. So every week when I got on the scale I was in awe that I kept losing weight. Now' date=' 14 pounds from goal and almost 10 months out, I still am getting those little surprises and always wonder when they're going to stop. We're so used to failing its hard to wrap our heads around getting there.

You'll do great with your new tool. You just need to learn how to use it. Remember, Protein first and veggies if you have room. No grazing and stay away from bad carbs until maintenance. You can do it!![/quote']

I told my husband to hide the scale today because I have been driving myself crazy. So I hope I get that suprised feeling too after a while. Lol 90 lbs to go.

I have all the same worries and I also really struggle with cravings at TOM.... I know that doesn't help' date=' except to tell you that you aren't alone. Hang in there.[/quote']

Actually it really DOES help. Thanks.