Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are you doing to prepare for your surgery?

Hi, all.

I'm just over 6 weeks from my surgery date (11/14/13). I'm wondering what you pre-sleevers are doing to prepare yourself for the pre-op liquid diet, post-op diet, and general preparations. Any post-operss with the helpful hints would be appreciated as well!

I'm starting to exercise (walking and planning on starting back at the gym), I'm trying different shake varieties and flavors, I'm eating smaller meals and I'm working on getting my home office cleaned up (for some reason that's important to me).

Thanks!

I think the best advice is to start acting like you are post opinion just with more food... don't drink 20 minutes before to 30 minutes after you eat; if you go out to eat try some of the kids meals so you know what is available; try some pureed foods to see what you like such as tuna salad, chicken salad, etc...; start your Vitamins and Calcium now... that is one of the hardest to get use to taking something 5 times a day ( your surgeon may require different things but I have to take 3 calcium and 2 Multivitamins a day and there has to be at least 2 hours between each to prevent the calcium from being blocked) These are just a few of the necessities! Good luck with all of it! I know you will be ready! :D

make sure to order/buy your Vitamins, Soups, Jello, popsicals and Protein Shakes. make sure all your chores are done like laundry and any heavy lifting stuff.

I'm preop and hope to have my surgery in early December. However, until I get cleared, I'm having trouble actually preparing. I'm self pay so not too many hoops to clear.

I am being more aware of my chewing. I will wean off of soda/caffeine slowly to hopefully avoid headaches. I'm making a list of things to buy as soon as I know it's actually going to happen such as a weight scale that measures fat, Water, bone, muscle, a food scale, a new filtering Water pitcher since I'm picky and should be greatly increasing my water intake, and Withings Pulse to encourage my activity.

I will not have a preop diet so I think I will buy the unflavored Protein powder, powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken broth, Gatorades that I know I like, some ready to drink Isopures, and the ready to drink Premier Protein. I've heard so much about tastes changing, I don't want to invest too much before surgery. Also the various Vitamins.

I will also make sure hubby and mom have enough groceries to fend for themselves. Thankfully no kids to worry about.

I will move the recliner into the bedroom and buy some extra heating pads and Gas-X.

I will also try to get all the laundry and chores and regular supplies caught up so everyone can focus on ME! lol

I am 4 days away from my surgery:) No pre op diet!!!! I'm eating all the foods I am forever saying goodbye to. My long term goal is to be on a Mediterranean way of eating. I bought a membership from a gym and I bought my 1st week of foods. I also bought the anti bacterial soap to use the night before surgery and the morning of surgery. I am headed to Walgreens to pick up my liquid pain medication and I have paid for my take home pay pump. I am so ready :)

My husband and i are getting sleeved tomorrow! we could eat a big Breakfast but have been on clears all day- im starving!!! As far as prep tho..... Our doc makes you do south beach all along but the week before surgery you have to go back to phase one.... Needless to say i'd give anything for a whole wheat turkey sandwich right now;). Good luck to all the other "preppers" out there!

Like Red said above, i started way early weening off of caffeine so I could avoid the headaches of going cold turkey. I ordered some Protein powders and got some small shot glass sized measuring cups. Got my gas x strips too. Other than that, i spent a LOT of time on VST reading as much as possible. So, even though everyone has a different experience, I knew the possibilities, and nothing that has happened has been too much of a surprise :) goodluck!

I am scheduled for 11/19, we are gonna be so close on dates! I have been doing all my preop requirements since June though. I have lost 21 pounds so far. I have stopped drinking soda and fast food, reduced my sweets and other carbs by alot and increased my Protein. I have also increased my activity alot. I have a pedometer with a goal to walk at least 2-4 miles a day. I am still struggling with the no drinking while eating thing, and the eating slowly.

My surgeon requires a two two week pre op liquid diet with the expectation that we will lose at least ten pounds during that time.

AtlantaRed - who are you using as self pay on ATL?

I am using Dr. William Johnson at Emory Johns Creek. I love him and feel he is very knowledgeable. Others are less expensive but I feel really comfortable with him and the NUT.

I am 4 days away from my surgery:) No pre op diet!!!! I'm eating all the foods I am forever saying goodbye to. My long term goal is to be on a Mediterranean way of eating. I bought a membership from a gym and I bought my 1st week of foods. I also bought the anti bacterial soap to use the night before surgery and the morning of surgery. I am headed to Walgreens to pick up my liquid pain medication and I have paid for my take home pay pump. I am so ready :)

Beauty29 -

Wow - 4 days away. Awesome! Best of luck to you.

Thanks for your tips!

Keep us posted on your progress!

My husband and i are getting sleeved tomorrow! we could eat a big Breakfast but have been on clears all day- im starving!!! As far as prep tho..... Our doc makes you do south beach all along but the week before surgery you have to go back to phase one.... Needless to say i'd give anything for a whole wheat turkey sandwich right now;). Good luck to all the other "preppers" out there!

Best of luck to you the hubby tomorrow! Keep us posted.

No problem. I meant to say pain pump. Thanks will keep you informed. My dr said the incision that hurts the most is on the left side where they remove the stomach at. Get the pain pump.

I am traveling to Las Vegas for my surgery. The hubby and I plan on staying there for about a week after surgery (maybe two depending on requirements of local doc for sign-off - another story completely...ugh). We are staying in a condo, so we will have all the comforts of home...sort of! :-) My son is going to stay with my parents regardless of how long we're gone.

No problem. I meant to say pain pump. Thanks will keep you informed. My dr said the incision that hurts the most is on the left side where they remove the stomach at. Get the pain pump.

No one mentioned a pain pump to me! I want a pain pump!

I am known to not recover well from procedures due to significant pain and lack of response to typical pain meds. Surgeon is aware of this and assures me he will make sure my pain is controlled before I go home.

I know incisions are similar to gallbladder removal. Had mine removed last year and it took 2 weeks before I could even stand up straight! My 73-yo mother had hers out the year before. She was loopy on pain meds for 3 days and doesn't remember a thing!