Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PrevPac for H Polyri....Disgusting!

I've been told that I has H Polyri and it needs to be treated. They gave me a PrevPac (a combo of Prevacid, Biaxin & Amoxicillin) which I have to take twice a day for two weeks.

It is so nasty! My mouth feel like I've been sucking on a nickel. A nurse friend of mine says that its the H Polyri making my mouth taste metallic not the mess. Either way this is a drag to take. Who wants to eat anything when this stuff makes your throat feel so bad?

I'm 5 days into this 14 day treatment and right at this moment I do not see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Mind you, I have to eat yogurt each day just to ward off the yeast infection that is bound to come from taking amoxicillin (any culling will bring it on).

Hopefully this will work and my test will come back clean because I don't want to treat this again.

post-66177-13813670262721_thumb.png

[ATTACH]18804[/ATTACH]

How did you know that there was something wrong? and needed to get tested for H Pylori?

I cant tell you that these meds are the WORSE, i took mine for two weeks and it was the longest two weeks of my life. Stay strong, it will come to an end. I wish i could tell you how to stop the feeling, but there is nothing i found that works. Stay strong. i feel you. can't stand the stuff!

JeansBeans, i had to send in stool samples, it was a reuirement of my surgeon prior to having the surgery.

When I did my initial testing with the surgeon's office they told me there I had H-Pylori. I showed no symptoms and it was news to me that I got diagnosed with it. That PrevPac is nasty but what I can tell you is if it doesn't work you have to get an endoscopy and a biopsy has to be done of your stomach to double check you don't have. You will be fine! :)

Yes.. exactly!

Jus like sucking on a nickel!

YUCK!

Good Luck an hope it clears up!!

I have another test for hpylori in October!

I cross my fingers it's normal cuz Lord knows I don't wan a recap of them nasty meds!!!

Good Luck!

Shelly_38

I had my endoscopy completed back on the 9th, but that was scheduled prior to my completion of my H.pilory test. I am not sure if the endoscopy had anything to do with the positive H.pilory discovery.

IMO anyway

It did because I got retested for H-pylori and it came back positive after I finished taking my PrevPak. My PCP ordered me to take an endoscopy to make sure that the test was not a false positive test. My surgeon's office did not schedule me to do an endoscopy when they schedule my other various test I had to do.

I can relate! I am currently on the prev pak too! It is after surgery though so once I take the pills I feel bad for an hour after. Metal taste nasty tasting burps. They take up so much of my stomach but if I take on empty stomach they come right back up. I damned either way! Wish I had found out before surgery but they found it after. Doc said my removed stomach looked very inflammed and pathology confirmed it was from H Pylori. I am like you I hope that it clears it up! These 2 weeks are not so much fun! Hang in there and before we know it all will be ok and we will be done with meds!

How did you know that there was something wrong? and needed to get tested for H Pylori?

When I did my blood work in July they checked for it. What was crazy is that they never said anything about it. When I switched surgeons they ask me if I was treated for it. I told them I never heard of it. How are you going to call and tell me my Iron & albumin is low yet not let me know that I have a stomach infection? SMH....I'm so glad I changed surgeons.

just found out yesterday i have hpylori and started on antibiotics today. im allergic to penicillin so they put me on something called pylera. i have to take 3 capsules 4 times per day. i havent had a bad taste yet but ive only been on them one day. now my surgery might be postponed. very upset that they didnt test me earlier so i could have my surgery on time. on the brighter side im glad it was found, now that ive researched it i have had some of the symptoms for a very long time and nobody thought to check me for that. so im glad to be treating it before surgery rather than find it during surgery or after.

My surgeons office tests everyone for the h-pylori. Mine was a breadth test. My perfect was out of the prev pack so I had to take the equivalent in individual pills. I did notice a both of a metallic taste but it wasn't bad. The worst part it's I retest on the friday before my monday surgery (6-16). If I test positive again...they will postpone my surgery. And I'm alway doing the liquid diet

I have been on this prev pack 2 x now!! I had a biopsy the second time.... I go back to take another test this Friday.. Praying this one is negative... That's all im waiting on so that i can get my surgery date!