Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know most people or carb crazy but will I ever be able to eat a sandwich again?

Just curious... for those who are post op out 3-4-5-6 months or more. Can you eat a sandwich? Like a 6 inch sub from Subway?

Or is this just a pipe dream that I'll just have to forget about in my future?

*note* If you're a CARB NAZI (and you know who you are) please don't comment. Your advice is appreciated but not needed. I respect balance now in my life.

I await an answer too! My sandwich dreams include cold meatloaf on nutty wholegrain bread or a French Dip :) mmmmmm Right now (6 weeks out) I can handle 1/2 piece of toast but that's about it, and I usually don't have room for even that after my Proteins.< /p>

I don't eat bread that often... But I've had it. This last week I had some French bread with goat cheese. I've also had a half of a sandwich on a French roll a couple of months ago when I was on a hike. I'm not sure if I could eat a whole sub but I know I could eat some of it if I wanted.

Oh ten months out...

Oh and nazi is not a nice word :(

I see MFP diaries of vets who are doing just fine and some of them do manage a piece of toast. I cant imagine being able to eat a 6 in sandwich esp given how dense bread is, but I suspect there will be some open-faced sandwiches on thin bread or whole-grain crackers like wasa or ryvita in my (distant) future.

I honestly haven't had any bread, Pasta or rice yet. I am 3 1/2 months post op and I don't think I will even have any of it for a long time. A lot of people eat them with no problem and yet as many do have problems. I think you will have to try this to find out if you can handle it. Please keep in mind when you start adding carbs back into your diet they make you crave more of them. For me they are like alcohol to an alcoholic and I have to stay away from them. If you can handle them more power to you! :)

I can eat the inside of a 6" as long as there were not too many veggies, but not the bread. I am physically able to eat bread, no problems with it at all, but since I get full so fast, I eat my Protein first. When my co-workers order sandwiches and such for lunch, I order too, and sometimes I take a bite or two of bread, but usually I just eat the insides. The other day I got a sandwich from Honey Baked Ham (YUM) and only ate the ham, cheese, and Tomato, which filled me right up.

I see MFP diaries of vets who are doing just fine and some of them do manage a piece of toast. I cant imagine being able to eat a 6 in sandwich esp given how dense bread is, but I suspect there will be some open-faced sandwiches on thin bread or whole-grain crackers like easy or ryvita in my (distant) future.

I'm just using that as an example. I don't want to never have bread again in my life. For me I would have eaten a 12 inch sub, double meat with a large coke and a bag of chips easily. Now I value simplicity and a simple half a grilled cheese will do.. lol but in moderation, not multiple times a week. Some people get so weird on these forums when you talk about carbs. I feel like I've spent a couple of lifetimes on low carb diets. Now I crave moderation and balance.

I could eat the inside of a 6" as long as there were not too much veggies, but not the bread. I am physically able to eat bread, no problems with it at all, but since I only have so much space in my stomach, I eat my Protein first. The other day I got a sandwich from Honey Baked Ham (YUM) and only ate the ham, cheese, and Tomato, which filled me right up.

OMG that sounds heavenly right now. lol

I'm just using that as an example. I don't want to never have bread again in my life. For me I would have eaten a 12 inch sub, double meat with a large coke and a bag of chips easily. Now I value simplicity and a simple half a grilled cheese will do.. lol but in moderation, not multiple times a week. Some people get so weird on these forums when you talk about carbs. I feel like I've spent a couple of lifetimes on low carb diets. Now I crave moderation and balance.

I don't see anything wrong with that. Moderation is the answer to our new lives. Someday I hope to get my carb fear under control and enjoy this as well.

I'm just using that as an example. I don't want to never have bread again in my life. For me I would have eaten a 12 inch sub' date=' double meat with a large coke and a bag of chips easily. Now I value simplicity and a simple half a grilled cheese will do.. lol but in moderation, not multiple times a week. Some people get so weird on these forums when you talk about carbs. I feel like I've spent a couple of lifetimes on low carb diets. Now I crave moderation and balance.[/quote']

I do remember reading that if you were going to try bread, try it toasted first, not plain as it sits easier. I will definitely be trying a bite of grilled cheese once I reach goal, and yes, half of one will probably be more than what I want too.

I'm very early out. There are days I get tired and so I add a little complex carbs, usually sweet potato. Rest of the time, I get really hungry if I eat carbs like rice or popcorn, so I try to keep them low. But that's just based on my body chemistry not based on what I think is best for "everyone". My husband doesn't have trouble with complex carbs.

Yes, you should be able to have a sandwich. I look forward to that as well. I did not get sleeved to be on Atkins for the rest of my life. I believe in balanced. I am 6 months out but I have not had any bread or chips or rice, yet.I do not limit my carbs. I have chosen to not have the simple carbs till the end of the end of the year because they are a slippery slope for me. I eat lots of fruit and get carbs. It will have given me 9 months to learn to eat well and balanced. I will introduce them in January. There will be nothing off limits for me forever except carbonation. I know some people have it but I won't.

Good luck!

I am 8 months out and at the moment I am eatings a grilled chicken flat bread from Wendy's. I also do chicken wraps when eating out. But I only can finish half befor full. Havent tried regular bread.

I just had a turkey ranch club wrap for Breakfast today, made with 1/2 a light Flatout (8 carbs, 4.5 G Protein, 45 calories for 1/2 a Flatout). It was yummy, but didn't sit as well as some things- it was my first bread since surgery July 2nd. But the Flatouts are not a bad find!

Thanks for responding guys and letting me know what you can have. I am going through some mental hurdles right now trying to decide if this decision was the best decision of my life or the absolute worst. It does seem to get easier daily though. This is where the rubber meets the road though with me. I am 2 weeks and 1 day out. By now, if I were on a diet and not sleeved it would have flown out the window by now and I'd have a heap of McDonalds sitting in front of me as I typed this. But I can't now, this is my path. In a way I am mourning my old self but on the flipside to that coin, that person was literally killing me.

So thank you for sharing, it does get better.

Thanks for responding guys and letting me know what you can have. I am going through some mental hurdles right now trying to decide if this decision was the best decision of my life or the absolute worst. It does seem to get easier daily though. This is where the rubber meets the road though with me. I am 2 weeks and 1 day out. By now, if I were on a diet and not sleeved it would have flown out the window by now and I'd have a heap of McDonalds sitting in front of me as I typed this. But I can't now, this is my path. In a way I am mourning my old self but on the flipside to that coin, that person was literally killing me.

So thank you for sharing, it does get better.

It totally does get better.........I promise! :) What you are going through right now is completely normal and part of the process. Before you know it you will be past this and smiling really big at what you have done for yourself. :)