Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! i am having a hard time trying to figure out what kind of bc to get on after surgery. Anyoen have any sugestions? Me and my hubby have been together for 7 years now and have never used birth control. Anyone try the depo shot??

I had a Paragard IUD put in last year (the copper non-hormonal) and I have ZERO regrets. I was also pleased to find out that it is the only BC compatible with surgery, so I don't have to have it removed for surgery. We have 3 kids, so we aren't planning anymore so I love that it's super effective for 10 years! The other thing I like about it is that there are no hormones so nothing to interfere with weight loss, moods, etc. I had depo for about a year before my son was born and I gained a good 20 lbs in that year. I wouldn't recommend it.

I don't recommend depo. You can do pretty much any other method, however the IUD (paraguard or mirena) is a very effective method. The mirena secretes a small amount of progesterone to your uterus to make your periods very light and infrequent. Many have no periods while on this method! It's good for five years and is nearly 100%effective. I have this method....best thing ever! I haven't had a period in over a year. The paraguard has no hormones, so you'll have your normal periods and it's good for ten years. If you tend to have heavy periods, the paraguard tends to make bad periods worse...FYI. Good luck!

Ashley, I heard good things about the Mirena but was worried about the hormones since I didn't like the bizarre occasional spotting and severe mood swings while I was on Implanon. Do you know if the hormone secretion is likely to affect those things. I use a Diva Cup for my periods and so although they are heavy, I don't even notice/think about it but twice a day and I have zero cramping now.

P.S. I had midwife deliveries with all three of my kiddos and I have a special place in my heart for midwives. Thanks for doing what you do :)

Definitely don't recommend the depo shot! It's horrible...or at least it was for me.

My dr has me on Nora-BE, it's a non-estrogen birth control pill and my PCP said that it's best for women who are overweight.

I'd talk with your surgeon and PCP and see what they think.

Best of luck! :)

Everything works differently for everyone. I have never had depo but I have had both IUD's. With the paragaurd it was great the first 3 years then all of a sudden my periods became long and heavy lasting 7-10 days. I had that taken out and got the mirena about spotting consistently for 5 months straight I got it taken out. My sister has the mirena and doesn't have a period at all. My BFF also had it and found out she was 5 months preggo with it in place. I'm currently on lo lo estrin fe oral bc after an ectopic pregnancy back in 2011 and I don't have a period at all on it. So like I said everyone is different. Good luck on whatever you choose.