Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medic Alert ID or not?

Do you have or want to get a Medic-Alert ID?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you have or want to get a Medic-Alert ID?

• Yes
    • No
    • I want to

Yes, that is the first thing they look for. The more medical information they have on you, the better care they can provide. ~Mandy

I did some googling, and I think the Bracelet is a good idea. I just ordered one off Medic Alert. Thanks to whoever mentioned this company, I like the idea that there is just a phone number on the back for them to call. I don't need to alert the whole world to my lapband.

I went with medic alert and called them to discuss what to engrave on mine. My problem isn't people knowing stuff-- mine is running out of space to engrave issues on! We settled on the band and the NG stuff. And we are putting narcolepsy on there, and alergic to most antibiotics, and asthma. At first they weren't going to put the narcolepsy on the tag, but I thought it might be a good idea in case I collapsed because of it, and what with it being such a rare disorder and all. Then they can call the number to find out exactly what antibiotics I'm allergic to and how allergic I am and so forth, what meds I am on, other medical conditions and they have two emergency contacts for me and three of my docs listed in their info as well.

I didn't get a Bracelet because I only wear things on my right wrist and I like to wear a watch sometimes and I'm wierd about stuff like that, so I got a necklace instead. But they are pretty designs.

Someone I know (who has cancer) told us about medic alert and how they have the number to call so you don't need to have ten tags.

Once I get approved by insurance, I am going to get one from Identify Yourself at American Medical ID - Medical Alert, Medical Bracelets and Necklaces. This is what I plan on getting on mine:

Front:

Name

Surgeon

Surgeon's Emergency #

See Back

Back:

Gastric Lap-Band

With Abdominal Mediport

No NG w/o Scope

No NSAIDS

I checked out Lauren's Hope and American Medical and I decided to go with American Medical. Thanks for bringing up this important topic.

I have the card in my wallet, but honestly would feel more comfortable w/ something on my persons, what if I got seperated from my handbag you know!

So I'm looking now at the various websites and just wanted to point out something for people who may feel like their ID Bracelet is turning into a charm bracelet w/ various health issues they have:

The MedicAlert® E-HealthKEY

USB flash drive and software providing access to your personal health record, anywhere, 24/7.

I hadn't seen that a few years ago when looking for one for my aunt, this could be a real life saver to some!

I just want to say thank you to all of you for these posts. I would have never thought of getting alert but see that it might be helpful!

Being the ebayer I am I went there to go to their site and came across a great alternative. Ever been to the mall and seen those koisks that sell the photo engraved dog tags? Well you can get those made (in different styles and even colors to match) alot cheaper and they can fit quite a bit on them. It might even look less like a medical alert to the unknown eyes....

I have a question for those either who have a medical alert or who are going to get one ... What is the reason behind the no NSAIDS ?

Im going to be banded soon and I have always thought a Medical ID was a good idea. So i plan on ordering mine before hand.

But was curious why no NSAIDS ?

thanks

Mindy

NSAIDS can cause ulcers, and that *may* cause erosion. ~Mandy

NSAIDS can cause ulcers, and that *may* cause erosion. ~Mandy

Ok thank you for your help.

Im going to have to check into this . I have Migraines and Aleve, Motrin , ect are usually my first step in my Migraine regimen. So im going to ask my doc about this .

Thanks

Mindy

The "No NSAIDs" was a real bummer for me, too. My doctor also said no steroids (Medrol dose pak, Decadron, etc.) as well. I went to the American medical website and ordered my Bracelet tonight. I've been carrying around a paper order form for a couple of weeks -- seemed much easier to do it online.

I attended a support group at the hospital where I had my surgery. The nutritionist there (work for the hospital as part of their overall surgery support program) strongly recommended getting a medical alert bracelet/necklace stating (at least) what kind of surgery you had and who your surgeon was...

The "No NSAIDs" was a real bummer for me, too. My doctor also said no steroids (Medrol dose pak, Decadron, etc.) as well. I went to the American medical website and ordered my Bracelet tonight. I've been carrying around a paper order form for a couple of weeks -- seemed much easier to do it online.

I take NSAIDs. I take Sulindac for my fibro. I don't take it as often as I used to because I'm on a different med now thats not related. But I take tons of stuff. And all my docs know what I am on and why. And I would sure take a prednisone pack if I had to for my asthma or if I had an allergic reaction to an antibiotic or something.

A good friend of mine sent me this link....its a pretty good idea for those who do not want to display all of their personal info for everyone to read and/or have WAY too much to write on the back of one of those tiny bracelets...

My Bands :: Home

I did some googling, and I think the Bracelet is a good idea. I just ordered one off Medic Alert. Thanks to whoever mentioned this company, I like the idea that there is just a phone number on the back for them to call. I don't need to alert the whole world to my lapband.

How much is the service? I went through the entire website but they don't seem to say anywhere (until you join).